• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Govplanet m1038 engine question

Stevepsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a 1986 m1038 from govplanet. Item number 550874. I have not cleared EUC yet, but it should be any day now. It states in the description that it has a 6.5l engine. I think they put it in wrong, as I don't think that 6.5s were available at that time. I know it is possible that it had an engine swap. Anyone else seen or heard of an early model like this on with a 6.5?

vinhvinny

You are dang lucky. It is indeed a 6.5. For its bolt here is on the right
But why? Ur truck was probably upgraded during one of the maintenance visits (paint/half shaft, comm or something else maybe)

It happens.

Hopefully that engine has not been ran much. But odo appears to be correct

Congrats! You might be cleared anytime in sept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stevepsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next question then......did they upgrade the tranny? I have read that the shifter lever is different, but have not looked at a lot of pics to see.

vinhvinny

I did look. But i could not find a pix of shifter. If you ll see P for parking then it is an upgraded trans 4L8...... St im not too sure. Somebody might chime in on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chief_919

I doubt they changed the transmission. When 6.'s went out of producton 6.5's were used as replacements when an engine was bad, and since it is a direct bolt-in swap it was no big deal. Changing the transmission is a much, much more involved process and wasn't done unless the truck went in for a total rebuild where everything was swapped.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks