• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Great deal on a back saver for your Deuce

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have been looking for a lifting buddy since my boys are out more than home any more and I am over the hill of the half century mark so I have been considering a crane for some time. I saw this at Harbor Freight and when they were $99 I was hesitant in getting one. Their Christmas flyer came out and they were on a coupon for $49 so I did the deed and here are the pictures of the install and crane. The whole install took less than 30 minutes. I love working on big trucks, there is so much room to work. God bless you all and have a blessed Christmas and New Year

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Great deal on a back saver for your duece

You know H.F. sells the long reach air over hydraulic cylinders right? I would adapt one of those and you'd have to do even less.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

I looked hard at that one too since Mike said he had one and liked it but I wanted a small out of the way one and the lift is fine when the boom is extended. A cheaper come along will work just as well as my chain hoist pictured above and the crane can be removed from the post. I am going to weld up another post for the front bumper so I can move the crane there to do front pick ups to load on a trailer or another vehicle. I like Gimpyrobbs idea on air power and that may come after other projects are completed. This one really fit the bill for my needs and I like the way it is capable and not so in the way of the normal use of the truck.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I noticed and read the manual for the crane. Each boom extension length has a weight limit, I see the highest is 1000, then looks like 700.. what are the next two ratings, when the boom is extended fully and almost fully?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Does it come with the come along and does it go up high enough to put, say a transfer case in the back? Do the troop seats clear when they are down?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Another thing you can do with it for a little more height is weld a boat winch on the top towards the back then add a small sheave at the end. With it like that you can suck the load right up to the boom. I had one in the back of a pickup and had no problem lifting a complete dana 60 into the bed. They are chinese and the fit and finish isn't perfect but they do get the job done

houdel

David - How high above the bed floor is the end of the boom and max and min extension? I've looked at those, $49 seems like a steal! You really need to paint it OD though!

Can you give more info on how you got it for $49? I looked on line, they still have it at $99.99.

How much was the shipping?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

The questions are great and I will try to answer them as I know.
It does not come with a come along although I have used cheap ones the chain hoist in the pictures cost a lot more than the crane. Whithout a come along or chain hoist the crane will not lift high enough to clear the tailgate on the 1000# setting but will get it really close on the longest and smallest load setting. I only wanted it to work with the hoist that I already had.

I would not worry about adding anything to it since the hoist working with it gives me plenty of lifting capacity

The deal on getting them for $49 is that the stores, one is only about two miles from me have a prefered customer sale flyer in the store and there is a coupon for the crane that you cut or rip out and present it at the counter the clerk will scan the coupon and the price is dropped to $49 I don't know if the Online folks would honor this but I think you could get them to if you called and told them about the sale and how far you are from a store. Worse case let me know I can pick up another and bring it to Aberdeen in May since it is about 75 pounds. I am not sure on the shipping from the company but they might help out on that if you are far away. They have taken care of broken or missing pieces to items I bought with very nice care.

The troop seats are useable since the place I mounted it is right in the void of the seat between the wood and the metal support post. The only issue is that you must lift the crane off of the post to allow the seat to clear. I did not think this too bad since I am going to weld a post on the front bumper as mentioned earlier. In the picture it does not show well but the location I mounted it allow the support post to come down and seat correctly on the bed.

The least capacity setting is 500# which will still handle a Dana 60

PM me if you need one that I can bring to Aberdeen
You all have a Merry Christmas and blessed New Year

houdel

As it happens, my son works near a Harbor Freight store. He is going to swing by the store tomorrow and get one for me, and bring it over when he comes here for Xmas. Thanks for the tip - that is a great buy and should be very useful. Now if I can just convince my wife of the need to use the bathtub as a spray booth to paint it OD before I install it!

I think I'd be tempted to cut off all but the last link of the chain and get the hook right up close to the end of the boom. That should get the lifted load up another 6" higher at max lift, may be the difference between go and no-go on lifting some things into the Deuce bed.

Ken's idea on the boat winch is pretty good also, gives you some more flexibility in what you can do with the crane setup. 1000# boat winches are pretty cheap too. As a highly experienced "redneck rigger" is it always nice to have more than one option when moving anything heavier than I can lift by myself.

CGarbee

I went looking online and noticed that the same crane is listed on the Northern Tool website (with thier name on it) for $79.99 and that they have the taller model mentioned in the other thread referenced in an earlier reply for $149.99. Since they tend to run similar promotions and sales as Harbor Freight (although not always at the same time), it might be worth watching them as well, or seeing if they will honor the other one's sale price (they are closer to me and I've found this tactic works sometimes...).
I like the looks of the little crane and will very likely install one in the back of my truck.
Thanks for the tip!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

When I get home from work on Friday I will be using it to lift a sliding commercial fifth wheel up on to my M 200 A1 and I will take pictures of it and post them here. That fifth wheel is way more than my son and I can pick up and it will give it a good test. I will lift it to the bed of the duece first to give the thing a real exercise and then put it down on the soon to be a dolly converter. I am quite sure it will be able to do this just from the planning it took to determine where to place it. I am quite sure that being my age it will be used quite a bit. I will keep you posted on this.

houdel

My son checked at his local store, they were out of stock (big surprise, considering the price). The nearest HF store to me is 70+ miles away, translating to $25.00 in gas and 4 or so hours of drive time, and they only had 4 in stock when I called. Tried the phone order system, they had it at $69.99 + $8.99 shipping, and I don't have to pay sales tax! sounds like pretty much a wash to me, so I ordered one over the phone.

mangus580

Always remember!! Harbor Freight will give you a rain check...

(sometimes they dont take them when you use it either!!!)

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw one that had a boat winch on it all ready. But i can't rember where. I need one tall enough to lift a 55 gallon drum of used oil into the bed. Would one of these lift that high?

houdel

Don't know about that rain check thing - My son asked for one when he was told they were out of stock, they would not give him one but told him to check back next week as they were supposed to get some more in.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

My local HF, Pasadena Ca., has 1. I will pick it up tomorrow! $49.95 on sale till the 22nd.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

I am quite confident that the lifting ability and the hight would be able to lift a barrel if you use the combination of a come along or chain hoist as I have pictured. I have a drum and will test that and get a picture tomorrow. I am sorry that they are out if they have not gotten more in by the end of the sale let me know and I will see if I can get one for you if you are headed to Aberdeen in May I will bring it up there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks