• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Great deal on a back saver for your Deuce

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Updated Photos of the little crane that could

These pictures were taken yesterday while loading a #1200 pound sliding fifth wheel onto my M 200A1 dolly convertor project

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Updated Photos of the little crane that could

You will notice that the heavy pick warped the bed of the duece even with additional backing plates below the bed. I am going to straighten the bed and instal a bigger base plate on the crane. It was my fault for overloading it but I had to get the heavy fifth wheel up on the chassis with the assistance of my oldest son who is pictured in one of the shots

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial

I had my doubts about that crane, but that thing goes way more verticle then I thought. Your pics in this thread, and the dolly thread really show what it can do. A hand winch like the other style I still think would be worth it. Awsome deal though. My local HF even sold the display. I am going to put the one I have on the M116 3/4ton trailer I have.

houdel

Well, my crane is on its way and according to Fedex should be delivered tomorrow. The phone order price was $69.99, plus $8.99 shipping from Ventura CA to NW Michigan! I figure the extra $28.99 was a wash, as my "local" Harbor Freight store is a 4 hour round trip, I'd probably spend $25 just for gas, and with the phone order I don't have to pay sales tax.

I'm planning to use 2"x2"x1/4" angle iron to mount the base. I'll run the angle iron horizontally between two bed floor cross members, bolt the base to the horizontal cross members, then bolt in another piece of angle iron vertically to each cross member and also to the horizontal angle iron. In that way, the twisting moment as the crane is loaded will be borne by the bed cross members, not by the bed. This should eliminate the bed floor twisting as the crane is loaded.

The only other problem is the crane should be painted OD. AS it is now too cold now to paint the components outside, I have to convince the wife that the master bath will make an acceptable paint spray booth for these relatively small parts, and the kitchen oven will be suitable to cure the OD paint!

ida34

I was looking at these for my F-350 awhile back but my front end loader really makes getting one frivolous. I love my tractor. Almost as much as Kenny and Bjorn love their cranes.

PWM

I bought one from HF and installed it in the back of my Dodge, It work great. I mainly use it to lift my generator and truck tires, but I find more uses for it every day. I did modify it so it would have better support and not tear out the thin sheet metal of my truck bed. One thing I will change is the small pulley on the end, it is too small and kinks the cable. I was going to buy another one for my M35 but I think I will just copy the design on a slightly bigger scale, maybe 2500 lbs capacity.

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks for the posts and welcome to the site. You will find it a great place to hang out and learn a lot too. Your truck looks great and the crane you have is one I considered but went with the short one to allow the troop seats to remain functional with minimum fooling around. I have toyed with a larger post insert that would make it a bit higher but your idea of building a bigger one has got me thinking about that now.

PWM

Thanks. I must say this site is great, lots of good information and friendly people. Like yourself I want a crane but don’t want it to interfere with my troop seats. I have been looking at building something that will mount at the front center of the bed and fold down sideways on the floor when not in use. Then when I need it I can stand it up, drop the sides of the bed, and load the cargo. I would want it in the middle so I can load from either side. This would help a lot when I load logs for firewood. I figure it should be strong enough to lift at least the engine with a good safety margin.. Now that I removed my spare tire carrier and replaced it with a 5-ton tool box I need something to get a spare tire in and out of the bed. But my most important project now is installing the heater kit, kind of cold driving this time of year. I will probably get it done by summer!

Attachments

houdel

Yeh, ID gets a bit chilly in the wintertime. Don't know about mounting a crane in the front center of the bed though, seems like it would be in the way a lot of the time. Actually, it seems to me the rear side is a more versatile mounting location, but the 1000 lb capacity kind of sucks. I'd like something with more capacity, but the way the Harbor Freight unit tucks out of the way under the troop seats is pretty cool. I suppose you could make an upgraded model with a higher capacity jack and a stronger boom and still keep it under the troop seats, but the HF kit is pretty cost effective.

I received a delivery today of two multifuel engines in containers I won from GL. According to the GL listing, a multifuel engine in a container weighs 2569 lbs. My transporter hauled the engines op on a 24' flatbed trailer rated at 10K lbs, although he has hauled 14K lbs on the same trailer. He said my two engines were a real heavy load. He had a buddy of his with a propane tank truck modified to a wrecker meet us to unload the containers. The propane lift winch was supposed to be rated at 6K lbs. I think the lift was either grossly over rated or just plain worn out, it was all he could do to lift one end of an engine container at a time.

What should have been a simple 15 minute job to unload and spot two containers ended up as a 2 hour job with the containers nowhere near where I wanted them. I doubt the HF winch would have worked well at all for this task, unless I lifted one end of the container and the wrecker lifted the other end at the same time. Maybe I need to rig up an "A" frame to connect to the rear shackles and a strong come-a-long for lifting. Still won't get the load in the back of my Deuce though. I'll have to work this through in my mind, eventually something will pop up, but I'll just have to make do with the HF crane and its 1000 lb limitation for now. It should handle most of what I need to lift!

houdel

PWM, now that is really cool! Is that a hydraulic setup to crank your "A" frame back over the bed of your truck?

PWM

I wish that was mine, I don’t have the $$$! The photo’s are from an EZY-LIFT add. I went for the HF crane for my pickup. It does its job but I have my doubts that the cable and pulley would hold 1000 pounds. It groans at lifting my 250 pound generator. I thing putting a larger pulley on it would help a lot. But for the price you cant beat it. I have always thought the system like the EZY-LIFT would be great. I remember seeing a photo of an old WW2 German tank retriever that would lift a light tank onto it bed using a similar device.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Any updates on cranes for the duece? I am moding my braces to reduce the bending in the bed and I will post picts of that when done. Just one of my best additions to the duece and it has lifted a lot saving my back from a lot of icy hot. ADR was looking for the licence plate location on my duece too and it is showing in one of the early pictures

mangus580

I have one in the works for mine....

http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,125.htm

I am waiting for it to arrive via the OD express... I am thinking of making 2 bases, one in each front corner of the bed. Mine will be going in the new dropside bed, so it will be handy. It also occurred to me, that I can probably use it to lower the sides safely to the ground even.

I do worry about the floor strength on the dropside though, and intend to create some good bracing. Especially since mine is a converted dump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks