• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Great...stuck in Fennville w/a no-start CUCV any suggestions

amy1009

Okay...serious mess here...T-minus fifteen hours to be at work...came out here to Fennville yesterday from Ann Arbor - truck ran fine, filled up at Meijers didn't use an additive. Woke up today to leave and no deal. The truck will crank but no start. About six hours ago when the fun started I got a few sputters the first two times I tried to crank it, then nothing. It's on a bit of an incline (I'm hoping that's some sort of golden key), I've tried cycling glow plugs - nothing, WD40 one minor hiccup, that's it. OH and that was after putting a 110,000BTU kerosene heater blowing under motor w/a tarp engine 'tent' to try & keep the heat in... Nothing. So, this time put the heater on top of the core support, made another tarp-tent, but not much hope left... I read somewhere that there is a fuel drain on the filter, thought I'd try that and see if anything came out. I also put in some diesel additive and fuel warmer additive. See, the bad idea started with a plan to bring my Packard out here on a trailer...then add in a blizzard...now see said Packard on trailer completely blocking mother-in-laws driveway so she can't go to work tomorrow either...or have the propane guys come fill up the redlined tank that's creating more stress...and well, to say I'm in trouble (me and all my "weird crap") is putting it lightly... So, I'm off to see if this will work, I know it won't I've really made a mess this time...so I'm hoping even though it's Superbowl Sunday that someone will have some hot 'cold tips' for me!)
Thanks!

amy1009

Okay...serious mess here...T-minus fifteen hours to be at work...came out here to Fennville yesterday from Ann Arbor - truck ran fine, filled up at Meijers didn't use an additive. Woke up today to leave and no deal. The truck will crank but no start. About six hours ago when the fun started I got a few sputters the first two times I tried to crank it, then nothing. It's on a bit of an incline (I'm hoping that's some sort of golden key), I've tried cycling glow plugs - nothing, WD40 one minor hiccup, that's it. OH and that was after putting a 110,000BTU kerosene heater blowing under motor w/a tarp engine 'tent' to try & keep the heat in... Nothing. So, this time put the heater on top of the core support, made another tarp-tent, but not much hope left... I read somewhere that there is a fuel drain on the filter, thought I'd try that and see if anything came out. I also put in some diesel additive and fuel warmer additive. See, the bad idea started with a plan to bring my Packard out here on a trailer...then add in a blizzard...now see said Packard on trailer completely blocking mother-in-laws driveway so she can't go to work tomorrow either...or have the propane guys come fill up the redlined tank that's creating more stress...and well, to say I'm in trouble (me and all my "weird crap") is putting it lightly... So, I'm off to see if this will work, I know it won't I've really made a mess this time...so I'm hoping even though it's Superbowl Sunday that someone will have some hot 'cold tips' for me!)
Thanks!

CCATLETT1984

RE: Great...stuck in Fennville w/a no-start CUCV any suggest

If my truck didnt have a broken steering arm, I would come with it. My cell # is (586)615-1640
call me, should be able to come over with a few friends and help ya out.

ida34

I drove through that lake effect snow last week getting my new ring mount. Not a joke. It took an extra 4 hours just to get through a stretch of road about 40 miles long. If you get it back to A2 I can help but no way I can make the trip out there anytime soon. I would bleed the system at the top of the fuel filter to check for fuel. Amy are you putting the go pedal all the way to the floor when you attempt to start it. With the temps as low at they are the manual says to put the pedal to the floor until it starts. Mine is slow to start if I do not hold the pedal down below freezing. The rest of the time you should be putting the pedal down halfway until it starts. Since it ran up till the time you parked it I doubt you are having a fuel problem unless it jelled on you. Did you make sure the glow plugs are getting voltage or are you just hearing a click from the solenoid? Does your volt gage go up and down with the cycling of the glow plugs?

Good luck
Chuck

mangus580

RE: Great...stuck in Fennville w/a no-start CUCV any suggest

Amy, is it parked nose up on the incline? I suspect you have an air leak. Hitch a ride (however possible) to get a can of Pure Silicone Spray, or even in this crisis some Ether. You will need a second person for this.... take off the air cleaner. (if you intend to get ether, PM me for a phone # to call me for the process). While you are cranking, have someone spray the silicone spray right down the intake. Basically they want to mist it while its cranking. You may have to let the glow plugs cycle a few times before you try this each time. Also, does your 1009 have a block heater in it? It would help alot to plug it in for an hour or so before you try anything else.

Again... PM me for my Phone #, and I can help you through this on the phone even.

m38inmaine

There is a bleed screw on the top left(looking at the filter)of the fuel filter, open it while cranking and see if you have a good fuel flow, if not replace the filter. To bleed the filter open the bleed screw again and crank untill you have a good fuel flow. Also check to see if the injector pump shut off is working, have someone listen where the big red wire hooks to the top of the pump listen for a click indicating that the shutoff is opening/closing. I had the same problem once before and changing/bleeding the filter fixed it.

amy1009

Okay - I'm back, thankfully with good news!!! It is really really cold out there...and snowing again - oh wait that's the bad news!) The good news is that the 110k BTU kerosene heater in the engine compartment + the tarp + a car hooked to one battery + a battery charger hooked to the other + cycling of the glow plugs + feathering of the pedal (not just holding it down) + some good ole' ether seemed to do the trick! Whew! That only took 9 hours to figure out...and so far, it appears I didn't melt anything w/the heater...although it didn't quite smell that way :roll: Hmm...anyways, you guys are the best! I'm so thankful for the offers to help and to know that you guys are here! So many people just shake their heads at me (and my "wierd stuff"). I'm awfully proud of my truck too, really! I knew it would pull through. It even managed to pull my Packard on the trailer up a long steep hill (despite the inadequate horsepower cracks I keep hearing) and crawl around in 15" drifts to get back out. I mean this could have been the pilot episode of "Survivor-Hillbilly" if there ever was one! Do you guys think that I made my first (in a series of mistakes) by not using an additive? All I can figure is that it musta gelled up. I've been running B20 in it off and on and probably gummed up some things...Well thanks for all of your help and Happy Superbowl Sunday!!! You guys are the best!!!

mangus580

I would agree, that you probably had some gelled fuel. How cold did it get there last night? I would suggest if your truck doesnt have one, to have a block heater installed. (I know I should plug mine in tonight!)

BTW, I am convinced that the 1009 with good tires will go just about ANYWHERE in the snow.... :)

amy1009

You know, I've been looking for the past few weeks for a good block heater. I'd like to find the kind that circulates the coolant - but most of them just seem to sit there in the freeze plug... It was probably about zero or less last night, it's about 4F now... Any suggestions on where to find a good block heater? I wrote to Kim Hotstart but never heard back, I'll have to search the postings here. I'm in the middle of moving so this just kind of slipped by me, obviously not too far. What about this poor horsepower rap? People telling me it's not powerful enough to really be useful in the snow...what do I have to do? Save up for a Banks? AND some lockers? Or just buy the next size military vehicle up? ha ha. Must've been the fuel, stupid Meijers...

amy1009

ida34 said:
I drove through that lake effect snow last week getting my new ring mount. Not a joke. It took an extra 4 hours just to get through a stretch of road about 40 miles long. If you get it back to A2 I can help but no way I can make the trip out there anytime soon. I would bleed the system at the top of the fuel filter to check for fuel. Amy are you putting the go pedal all the way to the floor when you attempt to start it. With the temps as low at they are the manual says to put the pedal to the floor until it starts. Mine is slow to start if I do not hold the pedal down below freezing. The rest of the time you should be putting the pedal down halfway until it starts. Since it ran up till the time you parked it I doubt you are having a fuel problem unless it jelled on you. Did you make sure the glow plugs are getting voltage or are you just hearing a click from the solenoid? Does your volt gage go up and down with the cycling of the glow plugs?

Good luck
Chuck
Hi Chuck, looks like I'll be back out here in a few weeks or less to pick up the trailer - if you need anything else brought back from these parts let me know!) You know, I've never had a bit of trouble starting her before and I do go throttle down in the cold - much to the chagrin of my esteemed-green colleagues who complain that the whole parking lot smells like an airport up to 30 minutes after I've left...
-Amy

mangus580

Amy, the 1009 already has a locker in the rear axle. (well the 'govlock') As far as power for the snow? It has plenty. The 1009 is only really under-powered in towing, and thats mostly due to the axle ration. A set of 3.73 gears would wake it right up.

jwaller

the std freeze plug block heaters may not have a circulation pump but hot water will rise as it heated and this will circulate the water in the motor as it heats. you wont just be heating the small area by the plug. any gm dealer can get them and they are a since to install. I think they are about $20 at the dealer including the plug. just ask for one for any sbc or 4.3L and they will go in and tighten up with a screwdriver.

derby

Good to hear You got it going. The freeze plug type block hearers work pretty good ,they circulate water by convection. I don't have any exp.with the other types. Where is Fennville any how?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad it worked out for you Amy! I have been on the receiving end of the assistance offered from the people on this list and it's a great comfort factor when out there alone. Sorry, I couldn't help you here, don't know much about the CUCV's.
I'm posting this picture again because to me it's a salute to the members here.

Attachments

ida34

Amy,
Glad you got it going. The only thing I need to pick up now is in the thumb area. I appreciate the offer. My coworker's have seen you driving around and they thought it was me. I am sure the cucv is a big hit at the EPA. If you have any more trouble closer to home let me know. I am usually pretty busy with kids sports and such but if I can help out I will.

Good luck
Chuck

Bidslinger

Just in case this sorta thing ever happens again a warm blast of air into the intake from a hair dryer will help tremendously also a good back up if glo plugs are not working.

maxim

Good thing ya got going amy...I may be one of the few people on the planet who knows where Fennville is and has been there. Don't be discouraged, this bad weather is hard on stuff and as others said it sounds like gelled fuel. Yes a block heater will go along way to starting in temps below 10 degrees. Operating old green is a learning curve and someday they will be coming to you for advice.

Maxim
Manistee National Forest

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks