• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Great...stuck in Fennville w/a no-start CUCV any suggestions

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
For testing glow plugs, I just used a little jumper wire from the positive batt post to the terminal on the plug. Then you just touch the lug to ground and check for glow. No need to cycle the system on and off that way. You can also use a multimeter to check them in the block. Set it to resistance or continuity. All 8 should be relatively close together. If you get one with 0 or low resistance, or no continuity "beep," than you have a dead plug.

mangus580

A test light can also be used. Clip the 'ground' of the test light to the Pos battery terminal (front battery) Touch the tip, to the spade terminal of the glow plug (with wire unhooked). If it lights, plug is good.

surpdlr

Glow plug testing

Even easier to just check for continuity with a meter. Go from ground to connector on the plug, if it has continuity it is good, if it is open (no continuity) it is bad.

mangus580

RE: Glow plug testing

That works too Jeff. I was just trying to point out the many ways. :) Not everyone knows how to use an ohm-meter.

AJMBLAZER

Re: RE: FUEL GELLING IN THE COLD??

mangus580 said:
Plug it in... Let it warm up for about an hour or 2... and fire it up!
Plugged it in yesterday afternoon and fired it up about 2 today. A bit longer but hey, can't hurt. Fired right up like it was 70 degrees with hardly a puff. 8)

Now to relocate the plug to a better location as this one is a PITA to get to...

amy1009

RE: Re: RE: FUEL GELLING IN THE COLD??

Been meaning to thank you all for the advice on testing the glowplugs - I have always hated electricity - bodywork is my forte. I reluctantly put on ten layers and and braved the blizzard to change the fuel filter, got out the meter and managed to figure out how to check the glowplugs, all the readings were the same, 15 Ohms going from one battery's ground, something like 2.5 from the other - regardless, when hooked to one battery ground, all plugs had the same reading. So - I installed the block heater, the kind that goes in your lower radiator hose. It starts right up with the block heater, but still refuses to start w/o it...I got to figure this out the first day I drove her back to work and wasn't able to plug in. Is that right? Should it ONLY start with a block heater?

ida34

Amy,
Mine has been sitting outside and undriven for a couple of weeks. It still started up on the coldest days after cycling the plugs two times and full depression of the pedal. It probably would have started on one cycle but I wanted to save the starter and batteries. Are the plugs getting votage when the wait light is on? Something is wrong as mine starts and we are only about 10 miles from one another. I started mine yesterday in the morning and last week during the cold. Try jumping the blue terminal on the relay to ground for about 10 seconds and while you are at it check for voltage at the output side of the relay. Your are bypassing the controller by jumping ground to the blue terminal on the relay. Do not leave it connected. Only touch it for the 10 seconds. If it works by bypassing then your controller is bad. If it does not then you may have a bad relay but the voltage check on the output side should tell you if it is working. The controller gets a signal from a temp sensor to tell it how long to run the plugs. If the jumping helps then the controller or this sensor may be bad and you can work back from this point to figure out which one is not working.

And to answer your question directly. No you should not have to use a heater. In our climante and the temps we have been seeing the heater helps wear and tear on the batts and starter but you should be able to get it started without the heater.

Hope this helps.
Chuck

ida34

After you get done come over and help me with installing my F-350 engine, putting calcium in my tractor tired, putting on my deuce winch, putting on my ringmount, put the window in my new cucv, install a four barrel on my snow commander, change the cab on my f350, paint the deuce, fix the carb on my snowblower, fix the carb on my tractor, and install the new alt on the tractor. I will be at my daughter's basketball game when you get done.

I am sure Amy's problem will not take too long to fix. After everything is done I will buy the :beer: .

CCATLETT1984

Re: RE: Re: RE: FUEL GELLING IN THE COLD??

ida34 said:
After you get done come over and help me with installing my F-350 engine, putting calcium in my tractor tired, putting on my deuce winch, putting on my ringmount, put the window in my new cucv, install a four barrel on my snow commander, change the cab on my f350, paint the deuce, fix the carb on my snowblower, fix the carb on my tractor, and install the new alt on the tractor. I will be at my daughter's basketball game when you get done.

I am sure Amy's problem will not take too long to fix. After everything is done I will buy the :beer: .
be glad to make a weekend of it, although I dont drink payment with food is accepted. (I may be skinny, but I can eat ;) )
what window needs to be put in?
have your son give you a hand, hehe

ida34

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: FUEL GELLING IN THE COLD??

He is helping with the construction of the M1919A4 and standing around and watching is maxing out his skill set.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks