• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grenade Shifter

KaiserM109

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Grenade Shifter

I once broke the handle on a small ball peen hammer and thought the head would look good as a gear shift knob in my J20 (civilian M715). I welded a nut where the handle used to be and screwed it on. In the woods I hit a bump and the weight of the hammer head pulled it out of gear.

saddamsnightmare

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Grenade Shifter

June 15th, 2008.

rofl YET YOU GUYS IN CA. have a GOVERNOR who owns a M-48 TANK???? :cookoo: :jumpin: What gives..... Between you and I and the wall, you can't help it... all the Granola worked it's way west and ended up in the Sacramento bowl and San Francisco box!!!! I still love the "Gropenfuhrer", he's all that's left that's masculine since Jessie Ventura retired his feather boa as Governor of Minnesota... I'd vote for him in a heartbeat for President (need to amend that requirement in the Constitution), however, any state that requires a CDL for a deuce is pretty far gone in the rationality department..... and no Assault Rifles???? I use mine for target shooting (Really!!!!), and if that guy in Stockton had used an aluminum baseball bat instead??? There'd be no baseball games in California.... Keep a stiff upper lip out there, there's always hope, either the earthquake'll break you off and you can be a second world banana republic, or rationality will take hold and you can live like card carrying American Citizens again (this goes for the Northeast also), but with the outcome of the next election, we may all be looking for the Spoon for the Granola bowl.....!

I would, however, worry about a traffic stop with the full blown Grenade shifter, particularly at night, you might just get plugged by the cop, and unlike Fearless Fosdick, the hole could hurt pretty bad..... All the same, a very cool Idea.... I wonder how the "Baseball" type grenade would do as regards the shape??????

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer
1967 Hercules Gas Gen-Set APU MEP023A
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S.404.114 MB :funny:

Massm35a2

Anyone know the thread on the shifter? I want to add on a baseball grenade. I will fill it with epoxy potting compound and put a threaded bolt in the center that has wd-40 on it. When the epoxy hardens the bolt screws out and the grenade will be threaded

littlebob

I'm trying to remember what I did with the chrome one I bought at a local auto parts store. If I recall it right, I used a 3/8 drop in concrete anchor and ran the correct size tap into it, which fit snug on the inside of the dummy shifter grenade. The dummy had three set screws and I used a smaller diameter drill to indent the anchor to accept the set screws then went to a local hardware store to get a thin locknut to lock it to the shifter shaft. If anyone needs me to take it off and remind me of the details PM me.

Ridgerunner

Thanks for the idea:-D:-D

Bought my Pineapple-Grenade today, in town at the army surplus for $6.25.

I welded shut the 1/2" hole in the bottom and then drilled and tapped it to size. I painted it tonight so I cant "post up" untill tomorow when it's dry and then I can install it.

3rdmdqm

The following is how I made my shift lever knob using a standard surplus pineapple training grenade. I elected the following method using a tap to make threads into the grenade as it allows me to change shift knobs easily should I want to go to something different and is not permanent. Another way is to use JB weld to fill the grenade body and weld it to the shaft, or other methods as described previously in this thread, however with my limited welding skills and not wanting to make it permanent with JB Weld I chose this approach.
1) Take the grenade body apart. Unscrew the top/firing mechanism. Remove the pin and take off the lever/spoon. You should now have the metal head/top portion containing the primer, the lever/spoon, the pin/ring and the body of the grenade in 4 separate pieces.
2) Take pliers or vice grips and crush the firing primer and break it off.
3) Place the head/top portion into a vice upside down and use a 5/16” drill bit and drill out the remaining primer body. It is soft aluminum with a hole in the center and will come right out.
4) The thread size on the end of the shift lever is 3/8-24 fine thread.
5) Use a 21/64 (Q) drill bit and enlarge the hole the primer was removed from. This will facilitate using the correct size 3/8-24 tap in the next step.
6) Use a 3/8-24unf (fine thread) tap and cut threads into the hole where the primer used to be. Be sure to use oil or a cutting fluid and work very slowly turning slightly and backing off, then turning again and backing off until you get to the desired depth. As you turn the tap, the metal you are cutting will begin to gather between the tap threads. Remove the tap occasionally and clean this material off using a small brush/toothbrush. Add a liberal amount of oil to the threads of the tap each time you remove it before beginning again.
7) I then took a plastic plug to plug the hole in the bottom of the grenade body and drilled a 3/8 inch hole through the center of the plug. Since the hole in the bottom of the grenade is larger than the diameter of the shifter, this will fill the void and make it snug. Take the plastic plug and drill a 3/8 inch hole in the center to slide the shifter rod through.
8) Another method is to mark the shift rod where the bottom of the grenade will rest and then wrap duct tape or electrical tape around the shifter at that location until it gets thick enough to fit snugly in the bottom of the grenade to prevent it from moving around instead of using a plastic or rubber plug.
9) Screw the top back onto the grenade tightly and reassemble the spoon and pin.
10) Slide the grenade over the shifter and screw the shifter into the top of the grenade.

Attachments

machinist75

I made mine at first with the top/firing mechanism facing upward, but that was a little rough on my alabaster hands. So I laid it down sideways in a vice on my drill press and drilled and tapped the hole and made it a t-handle style.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Grip

Drill it, insert pipe plug, cut it off, drill it, tap it, screw it on, done.

Gamagoat1,

How does that feel in your hand, would it be comfortable on a road trip..?
I thought the original picture upside down looked more smooth to grip.