• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grounding MEP-002 in Garage and Type of Wire

mrcarman

If this has been addressed somewhere else, I apologize. But I looked at the Wiki and the grounding threads and couldn't find an answer--or at least an answer that I recognize as a solution.

I have an MEP-002 in a utility trailer (non-military--just regular utility trailer). The unit is new to me and the grounding rods are missing. The engine is running fine but I have hesitated to engage the AC because it isn't grounded. Is there an easy way to ground it within the garage? I would like to engage the AC and do some load testing by plugging in a couple of electric heaters into the two outlets.

Also, what type of wire would be appropriate for running from the ground connection on the frame on the generator to wherever I ground it to?

Thanks for any help.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If the motor is running, you should have AC. There is no on/off switch for that. There is no need to worry about a ground to test the unit. You only need to worry about that when hooking up to house service.

Isaac-1

If you want to you can ground the frame by running a suitable wire from the ground connection point on the frame to any good ground point you have available (meter water pipe, steel I beam, etc.) This can help protect you from some types of potential electrical shocks if there are certain faults in the generator, but in reality there are many other ways it can kill you that adding a ground wire will not help, so be careful.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could go to any home improvement store and buy an 8' ground rod, clamp, and 6 awg wire for about $20.

Last edited:

Harleyd315

I don't think you will put much of a load on the set thru the convenience outlets or is it recommended. To truly load test the unit you need to connect to the output lugs.

mrcarman

This can help protect you from some types of potential electrical shocks if there are certain faults in the generator, but in reality there are many other ways it can kill you that adding a ground wire will not help, so be careful.
Thanks, Isaac. Are you just saying generally don't do anything stupid or are there other things I should be especially careful of? My family would very much appreciate me not killing myself with this little hobby.

Isaac-1

Mostly don't do anything stupid, which means you have all the usual dangers and you should treat it like any other engine when it comes to mechanical injury, plus any time it is running you should treat it as a live electrical circuit, in addition any time you are working around in the control box be aware with one bump of the wrong wire it could come to life almost instantly, energizing the rest of the cabinet.

Ike

p.s. also keep in mind that when dealing with generators you are often dealing with a situation like you would have with line to line connections around your home even when your thinking of them as line to neutral. (always treat all output wires as if they were hot, as all it takes to have a floating neutral is one bad connection point in the reconnection switch)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks