• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Guard M35A2's to be sent to DRMO

MarineTracs

I just received an email indicating that all National Guard units should begin planning to turn in all of their M35A2's to DRMO. They are cautioned to retain enough vehicles to provide for training and some semblance of mission effectiveness. The typical military and governmental proviso in the message stated "ARNGUS cannot tell us what we will be getting, nor when". Ahhhh, ya gotta love orders like that!!
Anyway, an era seems to be passing. And for all of you deuce heads out there, if they are not cut up for scrap or turned into artificial reefs, perhaps you will see more of them (and dare I say, cheaper prices) for sale.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Most units are in the process of receiving LMTV's and MTV's.

My last job was to convert the first brigade size unit in the Army from a mix of M35A2's, M35A3's, 800series 5 tons, and 900 series 5 tons to the new vehicles.

About 150 trucks swapped out in less than 2 years.

So you're gonna see even more over the coming couple years.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm glad to see the median prices of deuces coming down a bit. $1000 for a mostly complete looking truck that may run is more along the lines of the last century. Up unitl recently, surplus deuce prices were crazy. I hope this impending flood keeps them respecable pricewise.

sailor2000

Let's see.... transfer to DRMO 6 months... sit on GSA list for another 6 months... released to GL another 2 or 3 months... GL lists 'em.. another month... looks like we probably have a year or more before we get a peek at 'em!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blood, you might have to put one together. Just not alot of them out there. Of the 2 dropsides I bought, the keeper will get a winch right quick.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Let's see.... transfer to DRMO 6 months... sit on GSA list for another 6 months... released to GL another 2 or 3 months... GL lists 'em.. another month... looks like we probably have a year or more before we get a peek at 'em!

Reference above. I was highly surprised when a M923A1 5 ton turned in in mid-September was sold in late October. DRMO ain't holding them as long as what some may think. They gotta keep them moving out of he lots.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This whole turn in for FMTV's has been happening for 2 years here in NY.. I have seen units who got FMTV's turn in their M35's, and they M35's have made thier way to GL and been sold off. Problem is that FMTV's have been coming in fast enough, and units dont want to give up their trucks and have nothing until the FMTV come, which could be a long time...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I consider this mixed news, at best.

The flood of Deuces on the market will drive prices down, which the market badly needed.

However, once they are all gone, the prices will start going back up and won't go back down. I suppose rising fuel prices might hamper their rise a bit, but let's face it, most of us drive these trucks so sparingly that the jump tfrom $3 to $3.50 isn't going to curtail our enjoyment of them much. I only drove mine 3500 miles last year and almost half of that was going to Aberdeen.

The worst part is going to be the cost of parts.

As these vehicles leave the US inventories, the parts prices are going to skyrocket. M44 series parts prices (everything from fenders to clutches to sending units, whatever) have always been low because of the large quantities the govt. was buying and then surplussing out.

As the trucks go away, only a few companies that use them and hobbyists will be buying these parts. This means a vendor might be selling 50 sending units in a year instead of 500, so the price is naturally going to skyrocket.

Imagine what new 9:00 x 20's are going to cost in 5 years.

We have enjoyed a very inexpensive hobby for a long time, but it's about to get a lot more expensive.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say it will be 10 years or better before we wear out the current parts inventory. You also have the aftermarket making parts in wholesale fashion and don't forget Kia! There are sure alot of tires out there and as the trucks get deadlined, so will the parts inventory. I think we'll be safe for a while or at least I hope!

MILRET45

I agree on the availability of parts in general. In 1995 I was restoring a '44 Jeep MB and was able to purchase some gear box parts that were NOS, as packed in parafin sealed boxes during WWII. I felt like I was entering King Tut's tomb. I almost didn't want to open the box out of historic respect.

Blood_of_Tyrants

As prices are driven down, it will make scrapping out the vehicles more and more profitable. Take a $1000 truck, sell the engine, transmission, transfer case, axles, radiators, etc, and you could easily quadruple your investment. And after all the valuable parts have been stripped, what is left will bring $70/1000 lbs as scrap.

citizensoldier

Parts for the M37's just started to dry up and rise in price in the last year or two.. They have all been surplused out for many years and they did not produce half as many M37's and parts as they did the mighty deuce.. I am not worried.. If prices come down to earth then we can all afford two or three nice parts trucks to pick to the bone and then scrap out whats left..
As they become antiques maybe the aftermarket parts guys will jump on board..
I fear more the NG guys stopping at my house to take them back after they realize there FMTV is a junk pile.. :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks