• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Guess I'm looking at head gaskets

TsgtB

Chances are the antifreeze has already done major damage to the bottom end bearings then. I wish you had drains the pan when it happened. Have you ever seen coolant eaten bearings? You may want to find another engine to swap in.
That's pretty much what I am expecting....
I'm looking for an engine

acesneights1

Wow, interesting read. The pics of the liners were good. The welding part...well..Cast it best done pre heated and you probably didn't stand much of a chance doing it with a Tombstone anyway(I am assuming you used a Lincoln Tombstone). Those things are good for welding rakes and shovels, that's about it. Easier to do cast with a motor generator driven dc welder but hey It looked not bad for what you had to work with. Cast s a bitch and in a hole like that, not bad at all.
Now onto my questions...
How hard was it to pull the liners and how did you do it ? I am looking at possibly dropping a slug in mine. Any tips would be great.
Also could you post a pic of the headbolt wrench ? I guess I will need one.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I tack welded it very slowly building up from one end to the other. That was after I drilled the ends of the cracks to prevent them from spreading. The weld was really just to hold the seam together at that point. The filler and silicone took care of any further leaks. The later damage likely was in the heads. Oil never got contaminated like it did the past.

To pull the liners, pull the heads and pan. Pull the piston/rod. Then pull the liner out.

acesneights1

I did liners on an old Detroit years ago(about 28yrs ago) and I remember they were a bitch. I had to stick a bolt in the port and push them up with the piston which you can't do on these.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks