• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gulf Coast Folks May Want To Order Fuel

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The accessories are a crap shoot. I'd say over half of the units I have processed have not had them. Some have had multiple sets though!

gatorbob

Yeah, I picked up a surplus bung adapter and got a hose from the guy I bought the unit from. I think I misunderstood before. I thought someone made an adapter for the NATO style cans that aren't the same 2" as the US military scepter cans. I need to get a drum and delivery anyway. Just hauled 30 gallons back and forth and got it in my caddy. Was a real pain and still ended up dripping diesel everywhere.

lonesouth

Going to tinker with mine tonight, run it on the house as a load check. Also need get my backup backup fired and ready. Probably need to fill a couple petro cans as well. Still have 55 gallons diesel onsite from last year.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a brand new 803 including the accessory crate. It contained ground rods and an AUX fuel hose but no fuel adapter kits. :(

gatorbob

I am 0 for 1 so far looking for a fuel delivery company. I called a pretty reputable local company and they will only deal with residential customers for home heating oil. I guess they want recurring deliveries. There's a few others to call but I thought it was odd I couldn't get a one-time delivery.

justacitizen

I am 0 for 1 so far looking for a fuel delivery company. I called a pretty reputable local company and they will only deal with residential customers for home heating oil. I guess they want recurring deliveries. There's a few others to call but I thought it was odd I couldn't get a one-time delivery.
just get yourself a good clean 55 gal barrel and five nato cans. make trips to the truck stop fill gerry cans and transfer into barrel. repeat until barrel is full then fill the cans and you are good to go.

gatorbob

I've been going to the gas station to fill up cans and transfer to a larger container. If I could get red dye delivered for around the same price, that would be nice. It might also be useful to be an existing customer for a delivery service for after a storm hits. Sure, they'll prioritize commercial customers but it shouldn't be as bad as the propane companies given there's a much larger demand for people with LP generators.

justacitizen

I've been going to the gas station to fill up cans and transfer to a larger container. If I could get red dye delivered for around the same price, that would be nice. It might also be useful to be an existing customer for a delivery service for after a storm hits. Sure, they'll prioritize commercial customers but it shouldn't be as bad as the propane companies given there's a much larger demand for people with LP generators.
i don't know how your state handles motor fuel tax,but where i live i can buy un dyed fuel and apply for a tax credit and get my tax money back at end of year tax time. as long as i can prove it was for off road use. sometimes this is to my advantage because the big truck stops sell cheaper fuel than i can buy off road fuel for before tax.

Bmxenbrett

That your problem you called a reputable company. They dont need to deal with one time customers. Call a off brand or just go down the list on google. The fuel all comes off the same fuel rack around here.

When i order home heating oil i easily call 10 delivery places..but this is the northeast and i only need a delivery every 3-5yrs.

Being in FL i suggest you get about 4 real cheap 5gal cans and have a 55gal drum at home and Leave the cans full and when theres a threat you dump the cans in the barrel then go fill the cans again. If the threat gets worse. Dump the cans again in the barrel and go fill the cans. Do this until your heart is content or the barrel and cans are full.

Fyi diesel at the pump is only about 20c more that heating oil. Kerosene is about 10c more than diesel at the pump. How much is $11 going to matter to you when filling a 55gal drum at the pump? Thats the difference between delivery HH oil and diesel at the pump...here.

Chainbreaker

... I had a tank available but it looks like it has a galvanized coating inside. Wasn't wanting to put diesel in it. The operator manual for my tractor warns against storing diesel in a galvanized container...
As csheath noted, you have to be careful about what metals diesel comes in contact with. The below link identifies metals (under the "Accelerated Aging" section pg 1. ) that are not good for long-term exposure with diesel.

How long can you keep treated diesel in a shed given the heat here in FL? I don't have other diesel equipment so my concern is getting stuck with a bunch of bad diesel.
The below link also discusses long term fuel storage.

https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-country/en_au/media/fuel-news/long-term-storage-diesel.pdf

FloridaAKM

I store my diesel in the LMTV & the two Deuces fuel tanks to start with as backup & the Scepter 5 gallon fuel cans I got from GL a few years ago as immediate fuel needs for the generator to keep me from sweating during a storm induced power outage.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone use the poly drums rather than Steel? Any advantage ?
Well poly drums will never rust... so there is that. I personally have lined steel drums. I just felt better going with the lined steel, but poly should work just as well (I wanted metal threads at the top).

csheath

Well poly drums will never rust... so there is that. I personally have lined steel drums. I just felt better going with the lined steel, but poly should work just as well (I wanted metal threads at the top).
I think poly drums have a different thread on the bung also. Not sure the regular bung adapter would fit but it may not care since it isn't threaded. I have a plastic bung plug I can compare diameter wise and get back. EDIT: I HAD a plastic bung cap. Not sure what I did with it.

Last edited:

csheath

You shouldn't have a rust problem if you keep them out of the weather and keep water from accumulating inside.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks