• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gulf Coast Folks May Want To Order Fuel

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use drums

If you have 2 or more drums, you should always be able to have a full drum of fuel available for the generator (or to top off your trucks). Just put the drums in your truck or small trailer, and leave one empty drum placed where you want to store fuel. Fill the other drums at the local station or off-road diesel supplier. When you get home, use a drum pump or siphon hose to transfer fuel from the full drum in the truck or trailer to the empty drum, repeat as necessary. This will keep you from having to manhandle a full drum.

This is the method I use since I have a tractor, diesel pickups and a diesel generator. I have 4 drums, leave one drum empty at home and carry 3 drums to the station in my pickup or M101 trailer. If I recall correctly, 2.5 drums of diesel will keep you under the 1001 lb US DOT limit that would require placards on your vehicle.

dependable

I bought a 60 gallon transfer tank & pump and put in the back of one of my M-1008s, one of the best purchases I ever made, no more plastic cans, except for the darn small engines & 2 cycle. I got a very nice one from Northern Tool that has a concealed pump and a nice tool box above the tank for around $1,600. It is all aluminum, DOT approved and US made. There are larger less expensive transfer tanks for less $ if light weight and the discrete pump are not desired.

My understanding of the DOT regulations is that you do not need a hazmat placard, and the hazmat endorsement on your CDL, if you use a DOT approved tank under 119 gallons, for diesel. I'm sure enforcement varies form place to place, but if a DOT officer finds someone driving around with a full 55 gallon drum, they will not say it is OK. If you have a CDL, they probably won't let you plead ignorance, not that that would necessarily help anyway. If one were to get in accident with a full, non DOT approved tank, they might be open for some pretty stiff fines.

That said, I'm sure a lot of people safely move full drums of diesel around all the time, and maybe should keep doing so, but it is good to be aware of the regulations.

Heating with oil, I always have around 200 gallons of dyed #2 I could use in my generators, but when I tried to get them to deliver on road fuel for the trucks, they said local regulations require me to get permits, inspections and a double lined tank for that (even when my 275 gallon heating oil is the same stuff), go figure.

justacitizen

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/...MI-8no6_Kj2wIVCKppCh2C3wZfEAQYAyABEgLu-vD_BwE

if you don't want the 12 volt pump one of these work very well. and as a side note either pump will attach directly to a drum opening also. so if a steel drum is your choice rather than a tank at least the pumps will work for you. don't let the 20 inch telescoping tube worry you. all of the threads are NPT so you can make a custom tube to reach within 2 inch from the bottom of the drum.

Last edited:

csheath

I have this 12V pump for transferring fuel to my tractors. I connect it to one of the batteries in my generator for power. I made a pickup tube from PVC. Haven't bothered with a filter or water separator. I know my fuel is clean and my pickup tube leaves 5 gallons in the bottom in case water collects. Every time I empty a drum with the pump I use a small pump with a longer tube to drain the final 5 gallons and check it for water. I tip the drum and get every last bit of fuel out before refilling.

Last edited:

jl240z

tanks and fuel

I decided I wanted at least a 100 gallon tank for my 803A genset. The one I got from Northern tool was perfect. Instead of placing a pump on it I got a std threaded bung that had a 3/4 inch threaded center. Then I got the brass plug with a 5/16 thread on one side and smooth on the other side. I sweat soldered a 5/16 inch brass tube cut to length so it would be about an inch above the bottom of the tank. on the top I threaded in a 90 degree fitting with a rubber hose attachment on it, I also drilled a smaller hole in the bung with a filter from a weed eater gas tank for a pressure vent. I am not totally happy with that yet but it will do until I come up with something better. It will keep out the mud bugs who like to plug up small spaces with their nest. I got about 8 feet of hose and a fitting to go on the aux fuel inlet on my genset. I also installed a 3rd fuel/water filter as it showed that in the operators manual. What I have is basically what is supposed to have come with the genset but mine didn't have any accessories when I purchased it and I really wouldn't have trusted the old ones anyway. I also ran the fuel line inside a pvc line to protect it in the area between the tank and the genset.

the tank is steel and I got it on sale at northern. I paid $276 out the door with my veterans discount. Wouldn't you know it they ran another sale 3 weeks later and it was $40 cheaper. That always happens to me. As for bulk fuel delivery. The local bulk vendor started a cash account for me and because its for a generator he reduced the delivery minimum which was 300 gal.to what ever I needed. Its like pay at the pump but they bring the pump to me. He suggested I pay the state tax even tho I didn't have to do that now but I would be responsible to pay it anyway later. I am not sure what the price will be as diesel at the pumps has gone up around here about .25 a gallon in recent weeks. I figure even if I pay the same for the off road diesel ill save the hassle of driving back and forth to the gas station. That will cost fuel and time and its a bit of a hassle to do. I should be getting my delivery Wednesday due to the holiday. The storm luckily just gave us needed rain and some wind.

Storage isn't a big worry as there are many additives to prolong that to beyond a year. Fortunately I can use the older stuff when it comes time to rotate the supply.

csheath

This didn't turn into an event for us but was a good motivator to get us preparing and talking.

Absolutely cap or plug any open holes in your setup to keep the dirt dabbers out. They will plug holes that aren't even holes. I even put a piece of tape over ignition switches. Have had to clean those out on occasion.

I think I will order fittings to make a new auxiliary hose. Don't really trust that cloth braided stuff that came with mine. It's just a larger diameter of the return lines they use. Come to think of it I can probably use my fittings and just get a piece of Gates fuel hose.

gatorbob

Absolutely cap or plug any open holes in your setup to keep the dirt dabbers out. They will plug holes that aren't even holes. I even put a piece of tape over ignition switches. Have had to clean those out on occasion.
I hate these things and they're particularly bad where I live now. When I moved in, I had some attached to my electrical panel.

I have some 1/8" hardware cloth but haven't attached it yet. I need to figure out the best way to attach it and especially not create more of a vibration problem. I imagine I need to spend a little extra on stainless steel rivets or bolts.

lonesouth

This didn't turn into an event for us but was a good motivator to get us preparing and talking.

I think I will order fittings to make a new auxiliary hose. Don't really trust that cloth braided stuff that came with mine. It's just a larger diameter of the return lines they use. Come to think of it I can probably use my fittings and just get a piece of Gates fuel hose.
Go to Scotty's Tubes & Hoses. He got me setup right.

csheath

Go to Scotty's Tubes & Hoses. He got me setup right.
Called Scotty this morning and told him what I had. He didn't think he had what I needed so I didn't ride by. I have been to him twice with hydraulic needs and both times ended up back at Capital Rubber. Would be nice to have someone on this side of town for hydraulic stuff but seems Capital Rubber always ends up having what I need when nobody else does.

Not in any rush here since I have the hose that came with it and it doesn't leak at the moment. Just not sure I want to rely on it. A 5/16" flare will fit but the flare angle is different. They still seal okay and I may rig something like that. I'm a little apprehensive about tearing the hose off my existing fittings.

jl240z

an update to the aux fuel line. I found a offishul govt drawn page from one of the manuals showing the aux fuel line. Unless I mis read it the fitting at he tank is 1/2-20NF with a 37 degree bevel.. I got one at a parts store that does a lot of diesel truck stuff. I took the little brass cap that covers the fitting when not in use as it has a bevel in it and the thread. I got the one that has the barbed fitting and even tho its a low pressure line I put a screw clamp on the hose. No leaks that I can see yet. I used regular gates diesel fuel line. So I didn't have to find a hydraulic hose store to make what I needed/ The fitting cost $4.50 and $16 for 10 feet of hose.

I got my 100 gal tank filled this past Tuesday. I didn't save a lot of money about 9-10 cents a gallon. I paid the state tax to get it over with so it worked out to about $3.10/gal. About 2weeks ago I paid $3.19/gal at the pump. I don't know how much more per gal it went up before I got the red stuff. Im happy I didn't have to make the 7 or 8 trips to the gas station needed to fill my aux tank.:-D Now all I have to do is make my anti lizard/mud dobber screens and im up to date.

jl240z

I hate these things and they're particularly bad where I live now. When I moved in, I had some attached to my electrical panel.

I have some 1/8" hardware cloth but haven't attached it yet. I need to figure out the best way to attach it and especially not create more of a vibration problem. I imagine I need to spend a little extra on stainless steel rivets or bolts.
I am not sure 1/8" hardware cloth is small enough. There are at least 3 sizes of daubers ive seen and one is small enough and may get thru 1/8". I bought windo screen and will use 1/2 inch screen moulding to form the frame and staple the screen to the backside. I think a bead of silicone caulk on the back of the frame will be enough to fasten it to the generator housing. I live on a main water management canal tho the big daubers don't have to go far for their mud. If I build a cement out building I don't need to stucco it. Ill let the daubers do the walls and ill just paint over them.

csheath

If they can't find a hole they will settle for any surface.

IMG_2367.jpg

I have had them clog the ignition slot on my lawn tractor twice. Had to dig and dig and spray with WD40 till I could get the key in.

devilphrog

The other thing to do is if you drive a diesel vehicle, keep a 5 gallon can with you and fill your can every fill up, and transfer to your 55 gallon drum. I start this at the beginning of Hurricane season. If a storm comes, it's a little less hassle to fill a jug or two to top off.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Called Scotty this morning and told him what I had. He didn't think he had what I needed so I didn't ride by. I have been to him twice with hydraulic needs and both times ended up back at Capital Rubber. Would be nice to have someone on this side of town for hydraulic stuff but seems Capital Rubber always ends up having what I need when nobody else does.

Not in any rush here since I have the hose that came with it and it doesn't leak at the moment. Just not sure I want to rely on it. A 5/16" flare will fit but the flare angle is different. They still seal okay and I may rig something like that. I'm a little apprehensive about tearing the hose off my existing fittings.
Capital Rubber in Tallahassee FL?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks