• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gull-wing 5-ton shop truck

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't remember the model - there are a couple of them, one is built on a M54-series chassis and another the M809 series. They are gull-wing shop trucks, loaded with a pile of machinery, lathes, drill presses, etc. in the back, designed to be a mobile mechanics and machinist shop on wheels.

Does anyone here own one, AND ACTUALLY USE IT? Only ones I have ever seen were in junkyards, or had the guts stripped out so bad that the back end was useless. I take that back, I saw jatonka's 2-1/2-ton deuce shop van at Gilbert in 2006, but I don't know if it's actually in use as a shop, maybe just for show? If I'm wrong, John, I apologize...

Attachments

Last edited:

shannondeese

A few years ago there was one sitting in a fellows yard rotting away under a tree. On Hwy 24 between Swansborro and Morehead city in N.C. I tried to buy it from the guy when I was stationed there but he wouldn't budge. I could see it from the road when I drove by. I hope he either restored it or sold it to some one that will restore it.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I seem to recall that they're called SEORTM trucks. I don't recall the M numbers. I would love to have an intact one on an M939-series frame! Hmm, let's see what Mr. Google has to say... ok, the SEORTM "bat wing" would have been mounted on an M811 or M944 chassis.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen a couple of them on m939 series chassis come through Ft Lewis recently. One of them was in great shape, still had the lathe in it.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few years ago there were two of them that went through WPAFB GL with almost all the tools.

319 has a trailer version.

reb87

I have two of them M944. Pulled the lathe out of one of them for the shop. Have transfercase probs with the other one, cant drive it till I have time to work on it.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a bunch on GL now, but they either have no pictures of the inside rear, or the pics show mostly missing components...

Does anyone own one that is complete and uses it as a shop? I see we have some owners, but noone has really said they have the complete setup and run it....

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a bunch on GL now, but they either have no pictures of the inside rear, or the pics show mostly missing components...

Does anyone own one that is complete and uses it as a shop? I see we have some owners, but noone has really said they have the complete setup and run it....
I can post pics of the inside later, trucks and trailers are pretty much the same except the PTO vs. the Dynamotor. Mine has all of the machinery and tooling, and extras, but the hand tools were gone. No big deal, I have plenty.
I've run the machines but have not made or repaired anything yet.

I'd guess that GL won't show pics of hand tools and such just in case the stuff is not there when the buyer picks it up. Mine was as shown, including boarding ladder and all the associated tooling..

Last edited:

ed_watts

I have one, and the Model Number is XM-811A. The machine tools were absent when I bought the truck, but I have replaced what I needed in addition to turning the rear area into a habitable space, allowing me to register the vehicle as a "1971 Housecar" (Motorhome), saving many hundreds of dollars on registration fees, as well as allowing my XYL to drive it without a commercial license. It was registered in New Mexico as a "1971 Jeep Truck", having been manufactured in 1971 by -- you guessed it -- Kaiser/Jeep. Sleeping in the boondocks with a lathe and mill, along with welding gear and lots of other "stuff" has greatly increased my love for my wife.

My truck HAS to be one of the "coolest" motorhomes on the planet.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one, and the Model Number is XM-811A. The machine tools were absent when I bought the truck, but I have replaced what I needed in addition to turning the rear area into a habitable space, allowing me to register the vehicle as a "1971 Housecar" (Motorhome), saving many hundreds of dollars on registration fees, as well as allowing my XYL to drive it without a commercial license. It was registered in New Mexico as a "1971 Jeep Truck", having been manufactured in 1971 by -- you guessed it -- Kaiser/Jeep. Sleeping in the boondocks with a lathe and mill, along with welding gear and lots of other "stuff" has greatly increased my love for my wife.

My truck HAS to be one of the "coolest" motorhomes on the planet.
Pics or it didn't happen.... :) What does XYL stand for?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks