• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gull-wing 5-ton shop truck

bchauvette

I use the tools equipment and supplies that came with my truck every day. Got over 200 lbs of welding rod. Steel Stock, Packard Connectors, Draw cabinet with all sort of brass fittings. didn't get the actual welder or drill press. Mounted gen set works stellar. Use it as a mobile museum and inf kiosk for parades and veterans activities. It was used as an exchange truck. People exchanged non working missing set items for working or complete sets. but all are easily repairable. Came with tent but no poles. So I fabricated my own poles. (CBR hint, hint). My friend has a picture of his dad standing beside his repair truck in Korea.

Truck version= Shop Equipment Organizational Repair Truck Mount, S.E.O.R.T.M.
Trailer Version=Shop Equipment Organizational Repair Trailer Mount, S.E.O.R.T.M. :)

F18hornetM

A couple of years ago I was at a local junk yard buying some new mounted 900x20s and ran across the trailer model. Guy wanted $5000 for it. Which isn't bad since it had all the machinery in it. I don't really need the machinery as I already have a mill and lathe in the shop. But was really cool piece of equipment. No hand tools, but looked like all the mounted equipment was in it. At the time I had no way of pulling it. Fast forward a couple years I now have a M931 in the fleet so I called them. IT WAS SCRAPPED !!!! Had good tires, was not even rusty. Matter of fact they also scrapped all the M35's they had. About a dozen in all. Moral of the story is just buy it....figure out what to do with it later.

jesusgatos

Question for you guys who've spent some time in/around these things: What do you think of the layout/workspace? Was going to buy a trailer, but previewed in Fontucky and wasn't too impressed. Between setup and takedown and the weird layout, started to think I might rather just outfit a 20ft shipping container as a mobile workshop.

F18hornetM

I wondered the same thing myself. About how user friendly they are. Defiantly a fair weather work space. I'm not even sure they would keep rain off you. Especially blowing. Would be curious to hear from someone who used/uses one. Still really cool piece of equipment.

bchauvette

They aren't meant to be a "work shop" per say. But a mega self propelled tool box w/lathe and weld equipment. The workspace is supposed to be this ridiculous tent set up. A multi person time consuming bear to set up. Black out compliant, no light, no ventilation. I am yet to encounter anybody exposed to this truck WWII through Vietnam that used the tent. Think about it. Taxpayers have been continually paying for something for over 74 years that never worked or seldom if ever used. Clarification: I'm referring to the tent not the truck.

Batmobile1 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use mine (SGPRSMD trailer) often, at least several times a month, year round. I use it in fair and foul weather. Unfortunately I don't have all of the curtains. The heater does keep things comfortable in the winter. The controls and equipment are user friendly, although interior space is not for the tall or portly. With both wings and rear panel open, work platforms down, there is ample work room. Climbing in and out gets old, I have the boarding ladder for the back, and use a short section of an extension ladder on each side. The engine and dynamotor is easily serviced, accessible from the sides and bottom. At the present, it remains parked as I do not own a truck-tractor to pull it.

F18hornetM

Thanks for the information guys. Also was wondering about just how much they were used. I am not familiar at all with arty or tanks but as far as trucks are concerned or the maintenance of them. I cant imagine how much these would be used. Almost never I would suspect. Most parts in the last 50 years are just replacement type. I know some things needed machining. Flywheels, heads etc. But not sure the equipment in these trucks could handle that. So my next question is, Who used them? What level maintenance? What kind of items/parts were repaired by them?
I was in the Marines for 4 years in early 80's and drove all kinds of trucks, from M151 to M923's. even old M880's LOL. I never saw one of these Machine shops. Having said that, I would still love one..
Thanks again for the insight.

There is one on a 923 series in Gulfport, MS just off of HWY 49 near the downtown area. I have seen it sitting there for years but have not stopped to check on it. They also have a CUCV contact truck with it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Most replace that "hinge" material with conveyor belting. I'll see if I can find the thread that talked about it.

tgorham

You mean all that loose rubber flapping on top was a hinge? LOL
Thanks for info, give me something to look for at the swap meet tomorrow.

tgorham

That is a bit of a drive from NH.
Maybe I will swing by after I retire. :)
I was originally looking for the M944 version but they had been emptied out.

Sephirothq

I had one of those trucks. I took alot of the equipment out of it and still have most if you are missing anything let me know. It was based on the M811 truck. I still have the generator / welder setup if you need it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks