• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gun ring finished

txdodge43man

OK after a couple weeks of waiting on parts to come in the mail and getting custom U bolts made I finally got to mount my M66 ring on my deuce. I'm still in search of the correct mounting plate that goes on the driver side leg if anyone has one or can give me good measurements would be great. (see pic) will post more pictures with the M2HB mounted after the air show this weekend.

Attachments

KyCUCVs

Ring mounts are usually removed before vehicles are turned into DRMO and subsequently GL. They are a separate line item authorization on a unit's MTOE and accounted for separately like radios and radio installation kits. When my Armor Battalion was deactivated, Duces with ring mounts were transfered to units that were authorized them, but didn't have them on hand. One ring mount was removed and turned into the supply system. I do know for a fact that the cab reenforcement plate was not removed, so you may be able to find a Duce with this plate installed. This is something you may want to check for when inspecting vehicles before an auction. We ended up turning in 12 great running Duces. This was in 2001-2002.

jwaller

now you just need the ring mount cover and rear cab plates. I'd also like to see a weight card on the front axle. I thought mine was heavy but you have a tow bar hanging off the front as well. if you have 900's I bet they are about 500 over limit.

Last edited:

Crazyguypa

I've got the plate you are looking for, and I can get you some measurements. Just gotta dig it out of my trailer. I was lucky enough to get a new leg set from GL in the crate. It's nice not having to piece things together, but since they shred all the gun rings now, if you want one that's what you will have to do.

I've got the cover on my ring too. Got it from a guy in Ca. Let me just say it is a real P.I.T.A. to put it on by yourself the first time. My was NOS and I had to stretch the hell outta the canvas to get it around the ring. I bet I spent 2-3 hrs trying to get that thing on. Definetly have 2 people the first time, if you have to stretch it.
(wife wouldn't come out to play, so I had to go it alone. :roll: )

txdodge43man

jwaller I have a stretcher not a tow bar on the front bumper lol. I thought about getting a ring cover when I saw one on egay but did not buy it. I might get one if i ever come across one for the right price. Crazyguypa if you can get a picture of the plate and some good measurements of the plate and bolt holes when you get a chance it would be a big help and I can get one made.

Heavysteven

Are there any fabrication drawings made on these gun rings?

What did you have to fabricate for your installation?

Am i correct in assuming you have to find the gun ring its self first?

txdodge43man

Heavysteven The legs for the gun ring are out there I see them pop up on ebay and other site often. the ring is the biggest and heaviest part and hardest part to get. I had to fab up the 4 qty 2 1/4 U-bolts and one adapter plate once i get the measurements for the plate. Yes find the ring first then the three legs. Every thing else is easy to make or get. I have see the rings go for 400.00 and up and the leg can go for the same. I have not seen FAB Drawing for any part of the ring. Or you can be lucky like me and have your fathers M135 that has a gun ring on it and a extra berral clamp that you can steel

Last edited:

jwaller

austin aviation has 3-4 rings and legs almost all the time. I bought 3 ring covers from the guy in cali who sells them on ebay. the first time is def the hardest. now it goes on great.

I found the u bolts the hardest to find and I needed 8 of them. a set for both trucks.

txdodge43man

Ken I was shooting my AR and driving while she was shooting I hope the six cav guys got some pics Im waiting for the next meeting to get copy's of their pictures

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys had an awsome display at WOH. I was the dorky guy in the Hawiian shirt that showed you a pic of his deuce. I really wish the Alamo MVPA had nearly half the guys show up at events that your club put out. It'd be nice to have 1 (let alone 2) M113's there also. We're doing the Randolph AFB show this weekend and I'd bet we have less than 4 guys show up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks