• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gun Truck from Upstate New York to Columbus Georgia hard ride

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jatonka, I'm sending a pm for you to get latest info on roads in Augusta from JP.

jatonka

Hello from Pine Grove, PA just north of Harrisburg on I-81. Wife and I were having a great day traveling south, making a mile and knowing the truck was right and strong and we would be in Columbus by Monday night. Then I smelled anti-freeze and it wasn't the guy ahead of us. Stopped at the Pilot in Pine Grove and started searching for the leak. Not the brand new radiator, new lower hose, new upper hose, not the waterpump or any other hose, nope. One of the freeze plugs in the front head behind the exhaust manifold. Pretty much the only parts I didn't have with me, but if I did I still couldn't replace it unless I pulled the intake-exhaust manifolds off first. The more I looked the more I realized I have a bunch of freeze plugs in the heads that don't look good.

Zero, aka Jim Davidson of Star Electric fame found out from Bill Peaslee that I was down, called me and headed right over. We cleaned the area and JB welded the existing freeze plug in. It takes a lot of hours to set to a full bond so wife and I got a room and will fill with coolant early tomorrow morning and head back to Ephratah, NY to get the POV and scurry to the Gathering without Aces & Eights, Like Papabear tried to tell me to do in the first place!!

Zero went way out of his way for me today, and many other Steel Soldier friend sure got in touch and offered help one after another. I really appreciate this group of people with the green disease.

And I need to say, I had this truck right, really right. Everything was checked, lubed, adjusted, and road tested. So what got me? The d$#med 3/4" cylinder head freeze plug. I am not so smart, but I can learn. I will pull the heads, get them planed and all freeze plugs replaced, THEN the truck will be right.
Guys, please consider how long those freeze plugs have been in there, and the amount of rust that gets in the block over the years, there are hidden plugs when the engine is assembled at the ends of the heads too. JT out and somewhat deflated.

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Don't feel bad JT. I've NEVER considered checking freeze plugs...even the ones ya can see!:roll:

I'm sorry you had to abort the mission and return to the rear area but you still have time to get here and have a good time with some good troops.:beer:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad prayers were answered!!! You and Mrs are safe!! You WILL make the gathering. Aces and eights is intact and will be secure. You had good people and God watching over you and both were willing to do what it took to take care of you! Sorry you won't arrive in gun truck, glad you will be there, safe and sound!! Press on.

God bless,
Tony

zout

Talked with John a little while ago bustin arse South once again in the POV less the passenger. He know our thoughts are with him on his trip and he has #'s to contact if necessary. Its a tough ride and long hours through the night - a POV is much different than the way we use to run OTR through the night and our thoughts are with him.

If I am not alone I will be honored to have the opportunity even shake this mans hand and meet him in Columbus - I am looking forward to it and he knows the options to have a break and a rest over stop are here.
What tough individuals these folks are and what an opportunity to meet them this coming weekend. It will be an honor to even stand in their shadow.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sure he will be in good hands when the GA Mafia gets hold of him.

:)

jatonka

I'm holed up in Anderson South Carolina and will be at the Hotel tomorrow before noon. Now driving the POV that PB suggested in the first place. Long story. JT

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
So far we have Proud American, Ace of Spades, Black Widow and Ugly Ranger Guntrucks at the hotel. I think tomorrow Untouchable and Psychotic Reaction will roll in.
Folks have been coming in all day and a bunch of us sat in front of my camper tonight telling lies til about 20:30 when I had to pop smoke(party central..nobody sleeping there...yet).

Looks like it's warming up to be a good one!:jumpin:

zout

Talked with TWM this morning for an early morning wake up call - they are rolling out of TX headed your direction - in about 16 hours you should see their faces.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks