• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Half shaft broke

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the bolts that broke were M10.9, then your torque wrench may be somewhat out of calibration. For 57 ft-lbs to have yielded and broken these bolts, the nut factor would have to be down around 0.10, which corresponds to something like a moly lube. If the bolts are plated with certain coatings that can drive the nut factor down.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Chief B

Bolts are Not 12.9....factory is 10.9...here's part of the spec :
Material Document and ClassificationG-500-M(10.9), fscm 11862 mfr ref single material response overall
And here is whats in the Parts manual : NSN 5306011857048 . P.N. 11516306 BOLT,MACHINE 10-1.5 X 35 MM......... 12 Ea.
Quick note... If you are replacing with the Auto Zone half shaft, you will need to get the standard equivalent of this bolt. I just got this bolt and it does not fit. I did get the standard equivalent (I believe it was 3/8-60 but the highest grade they have in the standard (at least that I can find) is an 8. The guy at the parts store tells me that the standard grade 8 is the same as the metric grade 10.9 and even pointed to his sign that states that so I'm not sure. Only problem is the bolt I got is a little too long so I need to go back yet again to get another one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks