• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ham Radio Operators / Steel Soldiers

camp9

I have montana karl here tonite. showing him the website. His call letters are n7tcl. He has helped with Ham radio comunications last Friday when a large wind event took place knocking out the power for Ferry county. He is from Curlew, Washington.
Is that your place??

camp9

It's pretty if I do say so myself. If things work out my wife and I are going to try to make a trip out to Whitefish in September, or after harvest in October.

camp 9, If your near rHelena in September give us a shout If we are at home we can show you the area A "Yupper" from Michigan huh? Are you of Finnish heritage ? montan karl is orginally from Kalispell and now lives in Curlew. We are visiting him and have been friends since childhood.. Take care ok? elkhunter and montana karl PS: His dogs name is "Rocky".

Attachments

camp9

Yep, both my wife and I are 4th generation Yoopers, but she's the Finn :-D Yes, Thank you for the offer, sure appreciate it and hope to take you up on it this fall. You guys take care too.

Lextreme

I have a Camper M109A3 and plan to put in a nice stationary Ham radio in the box with a good antenna. I will be taking my techician test on October 10th.

camp9

Winter is coming so I'll be taking my test maybe next month. There is a club 1 hour west of me and I'll be able to take it there. If nothing else I'll head to Green Bay to take it there. Now I need to look for a simple transceiver to get my feet wet.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys,

Just passed my Technician yesterday and I will be able to transmit in few days... Taking my General next week.

Congratulations on your Tech exam! Now you get to start playing with the radios, especially the green radios! :beer:

Good Luck on your General!

Storm 51

You CAN do it. When I went for my extra, I got the book, decided I needed some work, took some on-line tests, was averaging 'bout 70%... Yup, thought I could do it with some study. Checked for when the next test was scheduled... Whatdoyoumeantomorrow? Crap.

Decided to take the test even if I weren't really ready. The key was I went in relaxed. I expected to be ready for the next test, I looked at the current test as prep work for the real thing.

As I sat there, a teen sat next to me and took his tech test and left me chugging through my test. He passed, I thought happy thoughts for him. Twenty minutes later I handed in my test. Fifteen minutes later I was given a thumbs up.

Of course I grabbed an amateur frequency chart and cackled evilly; "Mine, mine, it's all mine." but that is another story.

The point is you can do it. There are free on-line tests which do help. Take them.

Bulldog 4

At the risk of making it sound too easy I will say that my test for the Advanced class ticket also included passing a 13wpm morse code test. The one I took for tech I had to copy 5wpm. Both times that was the hard part. The theory was easy for me because at the time I was teaching fundamental electronics in the Air Force Avionics School at Lowry AFB.

LightCorporal

Haven't had a ham license for some years now, thus I am fully qualified to ask the ignorant question: why did you take the technician test, then take the general? Can't you just walk in & take the general? Or higher?

I am one of the authentic old geezers who deplore the fading away of c.w. I think that the morse code should be taught in school. I know that 99% of the students would forget it just as fast as they forgot the capital of Bolivia or of that other state also near to Idaho, but at least somebody will keep that knowledge going, however temporarily they personally recall it.

So there!
lightcorporal, d.b.a. James

I took my 5WPM test with my novice in the 70s. Went to tech, then general. Still remember the code but just well enough to follow slow code. For current types theory is the thing. Understanding how things work is important. Maybe those skills will transfer to other fields. ( I've been called delusional when I start saying things like that but it is my delusion and I enjoy it. :) )

If someone wants to learn and use CW, they have my blessing. I hope they enjoy it, I wish them more success at it than I. :beer: ( As a matter of, if someone gets a license and wants to join the Navy I recommend it. The Leyte Gulf collided with the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt during night maneuvers because there were communication problems and no one could operate and easily those funny, blinky lights. $$$ dollars of damage.)

I want to see more hams. They can be kids, they can be seniors or anything between. If they are into OD, all the better for us.

No the tests are not walk-thoughts but the on-line tests help quite a bit. Read the books, take the tests, learn from your mistakes. If you don't pass a test, don't worry about it. If you have problems ask for help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks