• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ham Radio Operators / Steel Soldiers

USNEOCopperTop90

I was hoping to come up with a way to get Steel Soldiers who are also Ham Radio Operators, together somehow. Is there a way to add an icon to our profile or something? Maybe just checking in here and just creating our own "pencil list" might be the only way. Just a thought. I know there are a few here.

Amatuer radio operators can be of great benefit at rallies and convoys. We enjoy the hobby and are always trying to keep it alive. With IM, internet, texting, cell phones, etc., it's a dying hobby.

Any interest? Any ideas?
I would be intersted

Bulldog 4

LC, you have to pass all the elements to get the next higher license. In other words, you could take each element in order starting with the tech class test, pass that, then take the general, pass that, and take the extra test as well and walk out with your extra class in the bag. But you do have to take all three tests. It can be done. Back in the old days when we had more classes, I skipped novice and went straight to tech, then skipped general and went straight to advanced. Still had to take the tests though.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a frequency you guys hang out?
I listen on 5357 kHz in the mornings (like right now) and early evenings, and the HFPack frequencies during the days, especially 14,342.5 KhZ. At night there are nets that specialize in military, commercial, and aviation radios (typically USB on all bands) and you can get those frequencies here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/40mtr_USB_Group/messages and look for messages with 'nets and schedules' in the title. For example 7275 kHz at 0200Z on USB.

HFPack info is here: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/hfpack/

Most likely if you talk to me it will be to a green radio like a PRC-320, PRC-74, or PRC-174.

Bob WB4ETT

Keyzzz1

We started a club here in the Keys where our Trucks (2.5 & 5 tons mostly) are Civilian Emergency Response Teams for the county during Hurricanes. We know our trucks but fairly new to the comm side of things thus we are interested in anything you all with Ham/emer comm experience want to share so if you get a section dedicated count me in. If any of you are down in the Keys stop in: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Monroe-Marauders-Inc/195578493920611 we'd love to show you all around.

O.D. Fever

If you are a Ham you are top of the list, if you own a fifty cal. you are on the list, a machine gun, a AR. a pistol, you are on the list, a shotgun, a rifle, the list goes on. Welcome to the new America. By the way every mass shooter in recent history was a self declared Liberal Demicrat. Go figure....

Jeff001

What? I don't knowabout all the equipment you mentioned but in my book Hams are on the top of thelist of good people. We had ham radio operators volunteering and working with the local governments in Missouri and Arkansas after Katrina who set up a finder network to help locate and reunite families. They also get email setup so families could email relitives till they could return home. We had a shelter not too far from here. Many of the people got separated during the evacuation and once they found the families they then could travel from one shelter to another. Most of the time they traveled to another state to be reunited. In another incident Ham radio operators helped the 10 volunteer fire departments here (we have no paid fire departments in our county) a few years ago when the power to the county repeater went down because of an ongoing ice storm disaster. The power outage lasted for 30 days, theyhelped fuel a generator to keep the fire system up. Many lives were possibly saved because of it. So, yes, Like fire fighters they are tops on "the list" of good people.

Last edited:

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DITTO: Hams surely are 'good people'. My brother is a totally dedicated ham radio guy and he's good people... a brat sometimes, but good people!

Regards

HORNETD

That's Morse the inventer not Morris the cat.

The Man's name was Samuel Finley Breese Morse. No relation to Morris the Cat food shill. He invented what became the first international digital communications system. His technology is now a historical footnote but we can at least remember his name.

scottgs

If you are a HAM and own a MV then consider 52.525MHz (mostly operate in NFM mode), Most of the military mobile radios work there and it is a good freq. ...

There is a problem using 52.525 MHz. It will only work with later radios that have 25KHz tuning steps. Most older US ex-Military radios will not tune this frequency, as they have only 50KHz steps. This includes US radios like the PRC-25, PRC-77, VRC-12, RT-524. Unfortunately, these are amongst the most popular radios in the hands of MV collectors.

I would suggest 51.000MHz, as it will work with most all post WWII VHF Military radios. If you are using commercial or ham gear, us PL tone (CTCSS) of 150.0 Hz or 151.4 Hz, set to 1KHz tone deviation.

If you happen to live in East Tennessee, the Knoxville Military Vehicle Collector's (KMVC) have been having a regular Net on 51.000 MHz on Sundays at 1900Z or 1500 Eastern time. Most of us operate from our Green radios.

Garret
W8BUG

Link to Packset Frequencies:

http://hfpack.com/air/

Last edited:

Jeff001

51.000 MHz OK, looks like a good one, It will be easy to add it to the PRC-68B channel list. For those who do not have a radio license but would like to get one you can contact me privately and I will steer you to the correct way to get it. KB7VUV

MadCat2

I take my test on Tuesday for mine, and I will add mine to my SS signature. I like the idea of adding a radio to my wrecker for mobile communications, and from everything Ive heard about the HAM community is growing- probably thats to NAT GOE "Preppers."

YOu will also see our call signs listed on our website and signs at gun shows!

Jeff001

Please let me know how you do, and remember, if you get hung up and fail, take the test again! We need more hams in the country before the cell phone companies get all our frequencies. Glad to have you coming in! For the others reading this there is a free study guide listed above in a previous message and many more out there on the internet. Or you can send a private message directly to me if you need help. The HAM radio community is constantly under attack from the digital corporations that want to convert the ham bands to do things like mobile paging and digital devices and cell phones and the like. The HAM radio community is a large community with many different interests. Some like to experiment with radio signals and never it seems talk to anyone, some like to "chew fat", some like to build their own gear, some like to see how far they can communicate with less than a watt of power. AND there are hams that do a thousand other things like some are MV collectors and like to run the green radios. Just a few rules in my book do not play music, refrain from foul language and NEVER discuss politics. There are a few benefits to being a HAM, like you can operate any radio you want as long as it is in the proper HAM radio band and has less than a thousand watts of power. Old and new military radios? No problem! There is NO "FCC TYPE ACCEPTED" because the government stays out, unless called in to settle a dispute or track down unlicensed operators. Then like everything else, no one likes the way they help, so most wise hams settle things on their own. So, if you want to be a ham or just operate the radios please get the license. It is good for 10 years at a time and renewal is free. If you fail the test, take it again! Each test is from a pool of multiple choice questions so likely will have slightly different questions each time. It is a multiple choice test given by volunteer examiners. It seems like you can retake the test three times in a day. Once you pass, no one will ever know you failed on an earlier try or what your score was. The score does not matter, passing is what counts. - Jeff KB7VUV

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a problem using 52.525 MHz. It will only work with later radios that have 25KHz tuning steps. Most older US ex-Military radios will not tune this frequency, as they have only 50KHz steps. This includes US radios like the PRC-25, PRC-77, VRC-12, RT-524. Unfortunately, these are amongst the most popular radios in the hands of MV collectors.

I would suggest 51.000MHz, as it will work with most all post WWII VHF Military radios. If you are using commercial or ham gear, us PL tone (CTCSS) of 150.0 Hz or 151.4 Hz, set to 1KHz tone deviation.

If you happen to live in East Tennessee, the Knoxville Military Vehicle Collector's (KMVC) have been having a regular Net on 51.000 MHz on Sundays at 1900Z or 1500 Eastern time. Most of us operate from our Green radios.

Garret
W8BUG

Link to Packset Frequencies:

http://hfpack.com/air/

let me second garrets comments. 52.525 is totally inappropriate for a calling freq in military radios. NONE of the historical sets can to this, let alone do it in a way that makes them "compatible" with other users on that freq in 'Narrow band FM".. the sincgars are the only ones that can do 52.525 with Narrow FM. 51.000 is the common one, we use that here in Alabama Dixie Division Country 51.600 is a great secondary as 51.000 is often covered up with Birdies near computer Equipment...

my STRONG ADVICE is to monitor 51.00 if you hope to contact other MV people...51.60 for a secondary

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks