• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ham Radio Operators / Steel Soldiers

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay the class was postponed but since I wanted to take the test I checked and they had an exam about 60 miles from work so I went.

I took the Tech then General then Extra. I did expect to pass the first two and was surprised how well I did on the Extra without studying. I'll study and take it in two weeks.

I studied four hours last Sat and four more Monday night and got a couple hours in during work and that was it. I would say I'm a quick study but I'm not. I started in a TV shop repairing radios and TVs at 13 and by the time I graduated HS I had had two years of formal schooling and then the Navy training in electronics.

Guess I'll see what the FCC gives me in a few days.
Congrats.

I hope to see you at Dayton. I have been there every year for the past 26 years.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
KD8WFD

Passed the tests on Thursday night and had my license on Monday. They tell me that is fast.

Hey guys keep up the good work... After all if you have the patience to wrestle green iron into submission, or even think about it for that matter, you can do the same with a ham test.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Passed the Extra Class test last night.

For those who have never been to Dayton for the Hamvention I can tell you that DARA (the sponsor) has put an addition onto their building and it is pretty nice.

http://www.w8bi.org/

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even though I had my passing test paperwork something got hosed and it took them 11 days to process my Extra but it came in the mail Saturday.

I like my call sign so I won't get a shorter one. :)

Last edited:

Jeff001

I have used an old military PRC-68B with a vehicle mount and on 52.525MHz NFM and have, when propagation was "just right" spoken to people hundreds of miles away. I used to keep the radio on in my truck when driving into work. Every now and again the squelch would crack open and then band would be open.

A lot of the other radios like some of the PRC25 and some 77s and other radios like the URC-101 have high noise floors and lack the sensitivity of civilian rigs. I had heard that some of our military systems are horrible for communications. When I was active duty, we knew some of our radios had just a little less range than yelling out the window. But other radios worked extremely well.

Investigating this led to the discovery that the problem is usually in either that the antenna developed a fault and is not radiating correcting or a problem developed in the first RF AMP and / or First Mixer. Seems that if the amps there are not in perfect condition it leads to a lack of sensitivity. This can occur because they were mistreated in the past or the parts just got old. Age seems to be a problem in many radios especially if they are solid state. And now, unlike other radios, if you are a licensed HAM radio operator with a technician license, you are allowed to actually work on and modify these radios. Yes, it is perfectly legal, as long as you do not transmit signals in any other band. But I recommend caution. Go out and find all the manuals you can on the radios you own. Learn about the electronics or, find another ham that knows how and work with him on working on your radio. And BOOKS? ARRL sells many books that are great and contain circuits that are similar to the circuits in

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks