• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Handling heavy tires

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with them is they cannot handle that much weight. They are usually only rated to 200Ibs. WE used them a lot at the transit department. They would usually only last a couple of months before breaking. You could build your own out of heavy tube that would handle the weight, but then your wrestling the dolly and the tire assembly too. A tire jack is the best way to handle this situation but you will need a flat concrete surface to work on. Plus they sell for $1500.00 on average.
Every day use in a bus garage is a lifetime for most of us out here. Plus these dollies are easy to move around and store. Don’t have concrete? Throw a piece of plywood down and they work perfect even on dirt.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one of the military tire dollies. If someone wants it, make me an offer on it. I don't want to ship it...it is too big and bulky. PM me if interested.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I second the wheel dolly. I used plywood to roll it on. Much easier and faster than pulling the duals and wrestling both wheels and the heavy hub/brake drum assembly.

Attachments

Lonnie

If you don't have a dollie...
An easy way to install/remove (even on dirt/gravel) is to get 2 half sheets of plywood (preferably leave the top sheet smaller, maybe 1/4 sheet) & put 2 layers of plastic between them with a coating of oil (I used motor oil, but the heavier weight the better) between the sheets of plastic.

1. Jack up the truck until the tire just clears the ground
2. Slide the plywood/plastic stack under the tire & lower truck until the tire just barely touches... let most of the wood remain to the outside of the tire with just a little inside the of tread area.
3. Remove the lugs & slide the tire away from the truck.

The oiled plastic lets it slide almost like its on rollers.

I did this in a gravel driveway with my 53's when I was trying not to scratch up my freshly painted hubs.

Also for reference, if you are trying to keep from scratching your hubs, get 2 old windshield washer bottles & cut the ends off. The curved plastic can be cut & wrapped around the hub to protect it from the wheel.

rustystud

If you have a good concrete surface you can get one of these wheel dollies, they're rated usually over 1k lbs:

View attachment 783835
Used expect to pay ~$250+

I have one, but a friend showed me a trick using a pneumatic jack and I don't use mine. Line the wheel with the hub and raise it until the wheel just rests on the lip, raise it a little more to get it off the ground and push it on.
That is what I was referring to. Their usually called "Hydraulic Wheel Jacks or Dollies" . The lever one is also called a "Wheel Dolly" thus the confusion.

Hydraulic Wheel Dolly OTC-1769A.jpg

Last edited:

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As is the case with the A3, My truck is singled, but with 395's. I've had them on and off more times than I can remember, using only a bottle jack and jack stands, but I've never had to "muscle" or lift them. WORKING ON THE FLATEST GROUND YOU CAN, Just raise the jack so the tire is still on the ground, but the studs are free/loose in the bolt circle, then pivot/rock the tire and wheel clear of the studs and hub, and roll it wherever you want it. Always have a jack stand adjacent to the jack, with the mast raised as high as you can without taking any weight. Once the wheel is removed, lower the jack so the stand takes the weight. This frees up the jack so you can go to the next "corner" of the truck if you're removing multiple wheels. When reinstalling, put the truck in nuetral so you can rotate the hub by hand to easily line up the studs in the bolt circle(s) and you basically just reverse the processs (if you have any wheels still mounted, or when you get the first wheel reinstalled, always make sure at least one wheel is chocked front and back before lowering the jack or putting the truck in nuetral). If you're working on soft ground or pavement make sure you've got a large enough platform under the jack/stands to prevent sinking.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks