• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard Start Issue

ssdvc

OK, to answer the most recent question, I don't have any fuel leaks that I can detect.

I had charged the batteries up the other day and it was fairly warm out today, so I worked on the 09 for a little (old hands get cold quick). First was a check to see if the fuel pump was working. Disconnected the hose coming up to the filter housing and removed the pink wire from where it connects near that throttle assembly. Had the wife crank her over and fuel flow was awesome, pulsing with the turning of the crank. However, what came out of the hose doesn't look like diesel. Not I have added some 911 to the tank, but should my fuel look like this???

IMG_3226.JPG

Anyway, I connected it all back up and had the wife go through the glow plug cycle, then press down on the accelerator peddle once, then had her try to start it. She cranked for about 3 seconds and then fired right up ! However, my joy only lasted about 5 seconds and then she shut down again. I tried a few more times to get her going, but she would start to fire and then nothing. She is cranking over fine and when she does fire up, she sounds strong. What the hell I am missing.

If the pink wire is disconnected, she won't fire, is that correct? Is there some sort of inline fuse associated with the pink wire? This is a simple engine and it has got to be something tiny that is causing this.

I do not think it is an IP issue, because when she does fire, she is strong. She ran great, in the rain, for 6 straight hours on the road and then a few 30 minute to an hour trips after that before she just refused to light off. But I could be wrong.

ssdvc

Batteries are charged up again, but the front battery seems to be a bit weaker than the front. Just put her back on the charger. I have a few other thing to do today, but I am going to crack the injector feeds and see if they are getting fuel. If they are, I am stuck as to why she won't fire up.

dougco1

OK, to answer the most recent question, I don't have any fuel leaks that I can detect.

I had charged the batteries up the other day and it was fairly warm out today, so I worked on the 09 for a little (old hands get cold quick). First was a check to see if the fuel pump was working. Disconnected the hose coming up to the filter housing and removed the pink wire from where it connects near that throttle assembly. Had the wife crank her over and fuel flow was awesome, pulsing with the turning of the crank. However, what came out of the hose doesn't look like diesel. Not I have added some 911 to the tank, but should my fuel look like this???

View attachment 856447

Anyway, I connected it all back up and had the wife go through the glow plug cycle, then press down on the accelerator peddle once, then had her try to start it. She cranked for about 3 seconds and then fired right up ! However, my joy only lasted about 5 seconds and then she shut down again. I tried a few more times to get her going, but she would start to fire and then nothing. She is cranking over fine and when she does fire up, she sounds strong. What the hell I am missing.

If the pink wire is disconnected, she won't fire, is that correct? Is there some sort of inline fuse associated with the pink wire? This is a simple engine and it has got to be something tiny that is causing this.

I do not think it is an IP issue, because when she does fire, she is strong. She ran great, in the rain, for 6 straight hours on the road and then a few 30 minute to an hour trips after that before she just refused to light off. But I could be wrong.
That jar looks like water in the fuel. You said it ran good for 6+ hours driving it in the rain on an earlier trip and later you gave it a bath "under the hood". You added 911 to the tank. That will make your fuel look cloudy if water was present. When and where did you fuel up last? You could of gotten contaminated fuel or not cut properly with #1 kerosene.
I think that you were having, and are still having, fuel freeze-ups with this ridiculously cold weather we are getting. Was it was parked outside for the last few weeks during those below 0' temps?
Now I would keep it indoors for a while, get it warmed up and try adding a half bottle of dry-gas "isopropyl" to the tank. It could be you still have some frozen fuel lines, gelled fuel sock in the tank, gelled filter or even a frozen fuel return line.

cucvrus

That is contaminated fuel. This is how the inside of your fuel tank looked on July 5, 2021 when I had it out to change the sending unit. DSCF7808Your fuel tank.JPG The minor sediment in the bottom of a 36 year old tank looks great from here. I can see straight thru to the bottom of the fuel tank. That stuff you have in that container is not clean clear diesel fuel. I know people that save money by dumping crap in the fuel tanks and in the long run it costs more. I learned a few times. I never, NEVER add questionable fuel to anything. I mean right down to a push mower. No savings when you have other issues. You burnt thru all the fuel in the tank on the 6 hour drive. Somewhere you filled up with trash fuel. Good Luck. Billy Graham and a gallon of 911 is not going to make that trash burnable in a CUCV. Sorry to see this. Good Luck. But get that fuel out of that tank. Like I said when it arrived here it was filled to the brim.

nyoffroad

That is contaminated fuel. This is how the inside of your fuel tank looked on July 5, 2021 when I had it out to change the sending unit. View attachment 856503 The minor sediment in the bottom of a 36 year old tank looks great from here. I can see straight thru to the bottom of the fuel tank. That stuff you have in that container is not clean clear diesel fuel. I know people that save money by dumping crap in the fuel tanks and in the long run it costs more. I learned a few times. I never, NEVER add questionable fuel to anything. I mean right down to a push mower. No savings when you have other issues. You burnt thru all the fuel . Disconnect a line and drain ALL the 'fuel' from the tank and lines and then start all over again bleeding it. It's a pain and quite a bit of time and work but it will start right up once that crap is replaced with fuel. Best place to get fuel is also the busiest place for big trucks, avoid the Mom N Pop type places for fuel, they may only fill the a few times a year and a lot of water can leak into an old tank in that time. Good luck

ssdvc

Thanks for the inputs guys. She has been in the garage for several days, so I hope all the lines are now "unfrozen", but the water in the fuel needs to go.The bummer is that I just filled it last time out, so she is full.

So here is a question. I just filled up the house fuel tanks. I have a total of 660 gallons worth of clean fuel. Could I dump that25 gallons of crap diesel in those tanks and not screw anything up (due to dilution)? I have no way else to dispose of the fuel (or a container big enough to hold it all).

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the inputs guys. She has been in the garage for several days, so I hope all the lines are now "unfrozen", but the water in the fuel needs to go.The bummer is that I just filled it last time out, so she is full.

So here is a question. I just filled up the house fuel tanks. I have a total of 660 gallons worth of clean fuel. Could I dump that25 gallons of crap diesel in those tanks and not screw anything up (due to dilution)? I have no way else to dispose of the fuel (or a container big enough to hold it all).
Why would you contaminate 660 gallons of fuel with 20 gallons of contaminated fuel. I think you know the answer to that question. Get some containers and get rid of them the proper way.

cucvrus

Take a steel 5 gallon bucket and burn that stuff off in the steel bucket. That is if it will light. NEVER contaminate any fuel intentionally unless you like working on things. I had 330 gallons of diesel that someone poured DEF into and the dealer drained both tanks into a tote. I burnt thru all that fuel in 1 summer while it was warm. I had it in another truck and it was nothing but trouble when winter came. So my answer is properly dispose of the contaminated diesel fuel at an approved disposal site.

ssdvc

RGR All on the disposal. I won't dump it and I won't put it in my oil tanks, I checked around yesterday afternoon and no one seems to be able to take it, even the county recycle center (unless it was used oil). I think the burn-off idea is solid. I have a large fire pit in the back and it is time to take care of some brush lying around. However, with 25 gallons, it will be a few weekends before this task is accomplished. Now to find a used oil drum somewhere. I cut down pine tree will make a good wick for the barrel !

dougco1

RGR All on the disposal. I won't dump it and I won't put it in my oil tanks, I checked around yesterday afternoon and no one seems to be able to take it, even the county recycle center (unless it was used oil). I think the burn-off idea is solid. I have a large fire pit in the back and it is time to take care of some brush lying around. However, with 25 gallons, it will be a few weekends before this task is accomplished. Now to find a used oil drum somewhere. I cut down pine tree will make a good wick for the barrel !
You should check with local repair shops in your area to get rid of that fuel. We have several shops in our area that have a waste-oil furnace for heat and would love to have that fuel.

ssdvc

I am up in the northeast corner of CT. If anyone knows of a place that would take the fuel, please let me know.

Squibbly

I am up in the northeast corner of CT. If anyone knows of a place that would take the fuel, please let me know.
Alternatively, go get you something like this off of Facebook Marketplace, so you can keep toasty while you work on your truck. 😁
I'm thinking about it....

1642782173293.png

1642782220479.png

cucvrus

Idles better too.

HTF would the fuel filter make it idle better? That is a BS statement. A friend told me that if I put a K & N air filter in my truck it will gain 20 horsepower. Yea right. I said it would gain 40 horsepower if I run it with no air cleaner. He said will it really. I said NO and the K & N will make no difference either.

With a K&N performance air intake system, you get a guaranteed increase in horsepower and torque. They don't make a K & N intake system for a 6.2. They make wiper blades, air filters, and oil filters. 1984 Chevrolet K5 Blazer 6.2L V8 Diesel (knfilters.com)
Maybe all three combined will give me a 1/10 horsepower increase for the cash it lightened my wallet. I read it on the internet it has to be true. Have a great Day. It is 4* here this AM. I have work to do outside. Fun Fun.

Last edited:

Squibbly

I read it on the internet it has to be true.
Look at @cucvrus quoting old Abe Lincoln.

1642856726545.png

HTF would the fuel filter make it idle better?
I think he changed the whole square filter setup to the spin on setup, which...if the old system was leaking or drawing air, would probably fix an idling issue he was having.

Last edited:

ehuppert

We had a waste oil heater in the shop i worked at (retirement job) and always had issues with donated oil.... Set the fuel containers outside (0 degrees here this morning) If containers sit water should separate out and freeze. Then pour the diesel off, leaving ice in container. Still only suitable for brush piles!

ssdvc

We had a waste oil heater in the shop i worked at (retirement job) and always had issues with donated oil.... Set the fuel containers outside (0 degrees here this morning) If containers sit water should separate out and freeze. Then pour the diesel off, leaving ice in container. Still only suitable for brush piles!
And that is the issue I am facing, as I don't want to just dump it. That is just plain wrong. No one wants this junked up fuel. I called all the recycle centers around me, DEEP and about 15 gas stations. I even called three fuel companies. No one wants it. I did call a company that deals with hauling and disposing crap fuels (like clesning out old heating oil tanks), but they wanted a few hundred bucks to take my 25gallons. F*%$ that !

My fire pit is 3 feet deep and 10 feet across. Time for several HUGE brush burns !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks