• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard Start Issue

ssdvc

OK, I think I have a temporary storage solution in place, so my next question is.....how do I get the fuel out of the tank. I tried a 1/2" syphon hose, but it doesn't seem to work. I don't really want to break open any hard lines, as I do'n't want to take the chance of breaking one of them.

However, ANY suggestions (pertaining to this issue :eek:) would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3243.JPG

Also, this is the same jar of fuel. It has been sitting on the work bench, undisturbed, for about a week. I think it looks better, but still not clear. Any thoughts?

ssdvc

OK, I figured it out. I was trying to go in through the fuel fill neck. End of tube was getting caught on the metal lip of the filler tube on the fuel tank. Got past that and syphoned out 20 gallons thus far. 1st 5 gallons was as nasty as the first jar was. Second 5 gallons started to clear up. Third 5 gallons was looking waaayyy better and I took out a sample early in the fill (jar with blue cap). Forth 5 gallon bucket looked the same, and I thought it was very clear.

IMG_3244.JPG

I then added a touch of "HEAT" (gas dryer) to the 1st sample I took last week. It sat for 15 minutes and this is the result. The old (red cap) and the just syphoned out new (blue cap) on top.

IMG_3245.JPGIMG_3246.JPG

I got 20 gallons out and there is probably 5 gallons left, but it looks like good fuel. It appears that the bad fuel was sitting at the bottom layer (any thoughts on that?). I poured the remaining bottle of "HEAT" into the tank. I will give it a few hours and then I will put 5 gallons of new diesel in her, disconnect the fuel line from the filter housing and purge the line, reconnect everything, put another fuel filter on (I have a screw on and fill the filter with diesel before I attach it) and then say a quick prayer and try, once again, to light her up.

ssdvc

While I don't disagree that 100% would be the best, I think I got 90% of what was in the tank. A fill with good fuel should be good enough to get her rolling and once I burn through that, the next fill up should do it. I think I will go ahead, after I fill her up the 1st time, I'll let her sit for a few days and syphon some more fuel out to see if there are any issues remaining. I just hope this is the problem and I can get past this.

cucvrus

Letting it sit isn't doing anything. If it starts and runs drive out the remaining fuel. The summer of 2011 I had 330 gallons on contaminated diesel fuel I drove my CUCV M1028A1 to the farthest reaches of the earth. I went places I only wanted to go and I didn't care how far or what fuel mileage I was getting. I was driving on free fuel and having a great time. That was a few years back and now I am back to my fuel efficient self again. I would do it all again if the fuel was there and I still had the time to do it. Have fun. Fire it up and take it for a ride. Take a 5 gallon can of clean diesel. I had 8 plastic 5 gallon military fuel cans strapped across the front of my bed the whole summer. I was in Maine and went to the Canada border above Mar Hill Maine. Nice country. You are closer then me but you only have a limited amount of contaminated fuel to burn up. I say 8 hours you could do away with all of it. add it 75% good 25% bad and drive it out. Change the filter at the end and call it a day. My contamination was DEF. I drained the stock filter several times and only had an issue when winter came and the filter was contaminated. I snapped a new stock filter on and it went away. I have never had many issues with the stock filter. Take Care and Be safe. #1 question. Does it start? Carry On.

ssdvc

Ok, in between everything else I have going on, I tried to start her once again. No joy. I disconnected the line going into the fuel filter, again, filled up a jar and was still getting what looks like crap fuel. I then tried to syphon more out of the tank, but I can't get any significant amount of fuel to flow any more. I know there is at least 5 gallons left in the tank.

Is there a better way to try and drain the tank? I don't want to split the steel fuel line if I don't have to, but I have got to get all that crap out of the tank and get some decent fuel flowing to the IP and get my girl started again.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, in between everything else I have going on, I tried to start her once again. No joy. I disconnected the line going into the fuel filter, again, filled up a jar and was still getting what looks like crap fuel. I then tried to syphon more out of the tank, but I can't get any significant amount of fuel to flow any more. I know there is at least 5 gallons left in the tank.

Is there a better way to try and drain the tank? I don't want to split the steel fuel line if I don't have to, but I have got to get all that crap out of the tank and get some decent fuel flowing to the IP and get my girl started again.

Remove the filler neck hose and get a better angle to the tank. Can't guarantee it but it should help,

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Have you installed clear tubing to the injection pump to know if you're getting air in the system?

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter

There are three rubber fuel lines attached to the sending unit to the hard fuel lines. Have they been replaced? They Could be loose or cracked.

ssdvc

Just had the sending unit replaced. If there were bad rubber lines going t the sending unit I am sure Rick would have caught it, and replaced them, but it's a good idea and I will check them. The line to the injection pump is brand new and is not leaking.

I will disconnect the filler hose from underneath and see if I can get a better result. It will be a week or so, as I just had knee surgery on Wednesday and I want to give it a few days to calm down before crawling around on it (OK, supposed to be more like a few weeks, but I am already getting restless).

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter

[/QUOTE
Just had the sending unit replaced. If there were bad rubber lines going t the sending unit I am sure Rick would have caught it, and replaced them, but it's a good idea and I will check them. The line to the injection pump is brand new and is not leaking.

I will disconnect the filler hose from underneath and see if I can get a better result. It will be a week or so, as I just had knee surgery on Wednesday and I want to give it a few days to calm down before crawling around on it (OK, supposed to be more like a few weeks, but I am already getting restless).
Great if Rick worked on it then you can cross that off your list. The clear hose lets you see if your getting any air in the system.

ssdvc

Yup, I trust him and drove my truck down 6 hours to drop it off so he could work on it.

If I go stir crazy and decided to swap out the filter to IP hose, what type of clear hose should it be? Is there a diesel rated clear fuel line?

cucvrus

Remove the rubber fuel line leading into the fuel lift pump. Get a siphon started and it will drain the tank. No need to get under there and force the vent and filler hose. Once the siphon is started it will only stop when the tank is empty. Make sure you keep an eye on the drain pan and empty it often to prevent overflow. Have 2 drain pans. Clean ones so you can slowly burn up this fuel after you get it going again. Good Luck.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, I trust him and drove my truck down 6 hours to drop it off so he could work on it.

If I go stir crazy and decided to swap out the filter to IP hose, what type of clear hose should it be? Is there a diesel rated clear fuel line?
There are lots of options for clear fuel lines not necessarily for diesel. There are diesel-rated clear lines but without some research, I can't at this time steer you in that direction. I think a gas-rated fuel line would be fine just to run it to see if you're getting air in the system and once the repair is made switch over to your existing hose. I think Tygon makes diesel-rated clear fuel hose. Check Amazon or Summit.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter

You just swap out the 5'' hose from the fuel rail to the Injection pump.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You just swap out the 5'' hose from the fuel rail to the Injection pump.
Even with contaminated fuel, you should get some kind of detonation. Is the engine just cranking or are you getting any sound that the fuel is trying to detonate?

ssdvc

She fires, but very, very briefly ( a second or two), but won't keep running. Then, after that, she doesn't want to fire. She will crank all day long, as long as the batteries hold up (constantly charging them so I can troubleshoot).

cucvrus

When it is cranking loosen the nozzle nuts and unplug or remove the glow plugs. See if you are getting fuel to the delivery nozzles. With the glow plugs out the engine will spin over quicker and bleed any air out you have. Also bench test the glow plugs. Eliminate all possible issues. But if it has fuel and the glow plugs are operational it should start. I suspect injection pump issues but you have too many other issues in the mix. Contaminated fuel, questionable glow plugs, and air in the fuel system. Please start by removing the glow plugs and spin the engine with the nozzle nuts loose. That is how I start the engines after I pull them and reinstall them or rebuild them. Then I install know good, bench tested glow plugs and it will start within a few cranks. Good Luck. Take Care.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your problem started when you filled up with contaminated fuel. Get rid of the bad fuel completely. It is on the bottom of the tank. Quit trying to push it thru the pump and injectors. Injection pumps and injectors do not like water or trash.
When All bad fuel is removed put in Clean diesel and try again. Do not put any of the bad fuel back in to try to use it up. It is not worth the risk.
This is like mixing a little e-coli hamburger meat with some good to get rid of it. You are ruining the whole batch. You might get by eating it and you might get sicker than a dog.
Your choice. Good luck.

ehuppert

Only way to properly clean the tank out is drop it! And if I was dropping I'd just replace it.... Tanks can be had for $100 new. that will eliminate the contaminated fuel possibility......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks