• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard top Price?

greenjeepster

So I have to ask what made the Hard Tops that sold on GL yesterday worth so much? I had them on my watch list and last time I looked they were over 1000.00 each; all 19 of them.

I keep being told that we are in a recession, but by looking at the prices that Items are bringing on GL you would never guess it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The big boys (Southeastern Equipment, Memphis Equipment, etc) know it's just a matter of time before Uncle Sam will issue a rfq to buy them back. Still 27 grand is a lot of cash to have sitting in the warehouse on speculation.

LanceRobson

Somebody thinks they will retail at $1,600 plus. By the time the buyer's premium, pick up and shipping are figured in that would seem the dead minimum. Likely the asking price would be closer to $2K. I like my hard tops but I sure don't like then that much.

Maybe the thoughts are that with so many trucks still coming out at auction and the prices being historically low they are looking to make up the profit on accessories?

Lance

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would say this is big dealers buying them for FMS. With FMS, price really just doesn't matter that much.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supply and demand. Where else are you gonna get one?

greenjeepster

Supply and demand. Where else are you gonna get one?
I just went to check the actual closing price, most sold at 1221.00. A fab shop can make one up much cheaper than that. I wish I knew what ever it is that the buyer knows.

I bought my entire truck (with hard top) for less than that.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read here that some of the big dealers were in on these. They might have customers overseas who purchased trucks from the US. These tops would be worth double or triple what they paid.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you actually bid and looked at your bid history, you did not see the correct ending price. GL blows, and so does their website.

I am certain that I cannot contract locally at the metal fab shop, to have a new top(identical and correct in all details) made for less than $1200. I challenge you to do it locally.

To compare the purchase price of your truck, is totally irrelevant to the value of a new top. If that were the case, whats a top worth? 1/8 the purchase cost? Sell me your hardtop for $150?

I'll gladly buy your truck for $1200, cash, this weekend!. Since thats what you paid, and that's all you think it's worth.

greenjeepster

A fabricator is coming out to look at my truck this week to quote a price to Bob it and shorten the drop side bed. I will ask him what a replacement top would cost.

If these are in fact being sold over seas they would not care if every detail is correct as they would be using it for functionality.

There is not enough money in your account to buy my truck:razz: I got in and bought mine just in time... wish I had bought a few more at that time... JCknife would have been out a truck if I had a little foresite.;-) Now that Government auctions are selling close to private sale.

zout

Ditto Doghead.
This is with having a good hard top foundation to work with - then re-fabbing the sections and working on an English Wheel for the corners.

Have to figure personal labor - and I am not cheap.
Paint - material costs have gone up temendously within the last year.
Mileage to go shoot paint at a shop using their booth and paying them for usage (safety in mind here).

I personally loved the challenge - but if I did not have access to all the above plus the personal skill to do it - $1200 is a cheap way out for a hard top.

Clinto - yes it is the same top.

Attachments

Green_gator

I am finishing up the work on my hard top this weekend. If I factor in cost for my own labor to transform the old, rusty, and dented to something like new, much less new then $1,200 is reasonable. If I had the money necessary and could rewind back to when I unbolted the old top, I would gladly pay for a new one.

TaylorTradingCo

cheap hard tops

There was a guy on here just a few days ago that said he found a whole bunch of trucks that were about to be scrapped. I think he was in MO. He said he could get all of the tops for $200 each. That is more my style, or lack thereof.

Derek Taylor

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey if somebody wants to give me 800.00 for mine I will switch to a rag top:p Heck for 850.00 I will paint it all pretty and find a box to put it in.

I keep being told that we are in a recession, but by looking at the prices that guys ask on SteelSoldiers you would never guess it. :p

badgmc56

What is the big deal about a hardtop anyway. I have a soft top and I love it. I don't exactly live in the warmest climate either. My truck has a heater and a winter front and is quite comfortable at 20 degrees . Any colder than that, I wouldn't be driving it anyway. I guess for the guys that live in extreme cold climates it probably would help keep in the heat better. Not worth the money to me. Unless it is brand new, they are mostly dented anyway.

greenjeepster

What is the big deal about a hardtop anyway?
For me it is about noise dampening and the fact that fabric rots away and eventually soft tops will not be available at a reasonable price. Once the surplus supply runs out everybody with rag tops will have to have them custom made every few years as they rip up or dry rot... hard top can last forever if maintained.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks