• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard Tops vs Soft Top

SLR

I found a M35A2 I am thinking of getting. It has a soft top on the cab. I have researched many threads, and it seems like that a lot of people prefer the soft top over the hard top, and many of those that prefer the soft top are in southern states. I live in Minnesota where we have winter about half the year, so I have concerns about the soft top. Is there any positives versus negatives when it comes to a soft top versus a hard top when winter and wet weather is present? The vehicle will most likely be stored outside, so are there any major concerns on the soft top over being outside all winter? If I decided to get the soft top, and then decided to add the hard top, is that a major undertaking? I have found original replacement hard tops online, and there are some fiberglass after market ones, is there any preference to one versus the other?

DeucesWild11

Being where I am in NY I am glad I have the hard top and the cab heater.. MMmmm Toasty!
I have never taken one off but it's just bolted on, can't be that big of a deal but due to it's awkward shape you will probably need two people.

eagle4g63

I did just change mine(well actually a few months ago) from a soft top to a hard top......My soft top was the insulated one and not bad in the winter. I noticed that you get a draft from the back of the cab with the soft top......I didn't like mine just for the simple reason I don't like things that rattle, and at speed the soft top will "pop" up and down and it annoyed me, so I changed. I also wanted to add a few things that I could keep a little more secure with a hard top(I also added a locking door handle). Other than that I don't think there is a huge difference with them for the sake of "cold" in the winter....the rest of the truck blows air through like a piece of swiss cheese.

As to the difficulty.....there are 2 holes you will have to drill through the top of your window frame for the 2 front bolts on the hard top, other than that it is just a simple remove the soft top and the frame and bolt down the hard one, If you separate the 2 pieces of the hard top you can do it by yourself in a short afternoon, with a buddy and a few beers, about the same time but a little easier.......DEPENDING ON HOW MANY BEERS:p:p:p

Blueduce

I have hardtops on all my trucks.I like them better.

Hard top all the way. Especially in Northern states. I live in North Texas and I just replaced my soft top with a pull off hard top. It decreased the wind noise considerably, added stability to the doors and window seals, it even insulated against the hot texas sun. I removed all the stock insulation and added 3/4" foam insulation. Worth every penny for the top and the new insulation.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its really going to be 6 in one hand and a half dozen in the other. I like the soft top but its draftier. The hardtop doesn't flap around but there is a resonance in the cab that drives me nuts. Suggest trying to get a ride in both and compare.

dblcamaros

It also depends on whether or not you want to mount anything to the top. Even as simple as a solargizer, would mount easily on a hard top. And I am willing to bet that a hard top will also cut down on a lot of the noise also. I would love to have a hard top. I just can't afford it.

scoutmanadam

i prefer the soft top, its easy to remove on a super hot day and its fairly easy to patch if it gets a tear. The hard tops i had always had a slight vibration to them that i couldn't seem to eliminate.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M816 topless

Up until now, I'd never owned a military vehicle with a hard top (M/C's included) and I don't plan on starting now.
Have to have that "topless" capability and not after 3 hours wrenching either. (3 hrs was sarcacm by the way)
... and the truck mine will be restored to - has to have one, so my hands are tied. In upstate NY, when the snow chains come out, it will be big clothes for me. Besides, there is a thin wedge/tapered gap over one of my side windows anyway - don't know yet whether it's the window, door alignment or the cab... canvas will be easier to fit!

When I am ready - there will be a WTB or WTS(swap) or something - but a good soft top, with all the bits will be needed.

...... well someone needed to add some votes for the "other side".

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My soft top truck seems much quieter that the hard top trucks I've been in. It seems the metal hard top resonates the noise where the soft top doesn't. I like my soft top myself but my truck stays under cover when not in use. If it sat outside all the time I believe I'd rather have the hard top. Soft tops don't seem like they last very long exposed to the elements.

Blueduce

Re-insulation of the hard top will all but eliminate the resonance. I also used camper top weather stripping at both back to cab and back to top seams and replaced all nuts/bolts using oversized washers top and bottom. I also used vinyl lock washers. It may be overkill but I get none of the resonance or chatter noises everyone is talking about. I close my doors now and it sounds like a car door closing. I get a good healthy thump instead of that annoying "clannnnnng" everyone is used to. Once the heat let's up down here I will be installing a headliner material over the foam.

Attachments

Last edited:

NOLATAC

Re-insulation of the hard top will all but eliminate the resonance. I also used camper top weather stripping at both back to cab and back to top seams and replaced all nuts/bolts using oversized washers top and bottom. I also used vinyl lock washers. It may be overkill but I get none of the resonance or chatter noises everyone is talking about. I close my doors now and it sounds like a car door closing. I get a good healthy thump instead of that annoying "clannnnnng" everyone is used to. Once the heat let's up down here I will be installing a headliner material over the foam.
Looks like those cheap workout mats. Awesome idea.

therooster2001

I smell the Harbor. Thanks for reviving the thread, it gave me another option. HF has (4) 2ft square for $10. Might try these out.. good idea and thanks for the picts.

tobyS

I want to make a hard top that has a front overhang (tapered 2" to 4" in the center) to keep water off the window piano hinge...and that I can get on top of and not damage it. I was going to use 1/8" diamond plate but probably will use some 12 ga smooth, with reinforcements.

My new(er) soft top (m931) has a pocket that holds water and bending the bows up has not helped much.

m109a2

I would not let a top be a deal breaker I found a nos hardtop for 600.00 also I feel better knowing I have a little bit of steel overhead in case a widowmaker turns lose in the deep woods.Al

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks