• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone actually driven a M35 20+hours?

saddamsnightmare

April 21st, 2009.

Watch the guages, use the hand throttle (and really watch the tach on downgrades), break the trip up an you may survive. Your tail will be numb and you'll be deaf even with the hearing protectors, but if the truck and you make it, it will be a story for your kids (when and if you choose to have them). Kinda like Robert Southey's old soldiers "Why back when I was you age.... I did 1200 miles in a deuce, no heat, heck'uva trip! you whippersnappers can't even begin to do one like that.....:razz:

Good luck and be very careful about inspections and preventative maintenance....

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

Pinz25086

I just did a 1000 miles in the deuce from Little Rock to Orlando. Took 23 hours straight to make it home. I am not wanting to do it again any time soon but it really was not that bad. Take your time and enjoy the ride. You will see a lot more at 50mph than you do at 70mph +. Stop often and walk around just to make sure that nothing is leaking or falling off. Blame the extra stops on the truck and not your sore butt! Almost every trucker that went by me gave me a thumbs up. It was nice to see them supporting the military (they did not know that I was a civilan). Drive safe!

Opie

See attached picture of device made for aviation use in small planes. It actually has an adapter for female use too but is extra to basic unit.
See PDF attachment.
If you get one of these, buff the rim with sandpaper.

The ones we use in the hospital seem to be made by the Gilette Corporation, and the edges are a little rough on your "drain assembly." :cry:

Fair winds and following seas, sir!

Rolling_Eudaimonia

www.easternsurplus.net has a good cross country video you should watch. :wink:

On that same subject, when is your Alaska to Argentina trip due to get underway:?:
As soon as I can find some backers for it... I would also like to start Grad School... I'm thinking the University of San Diego or Stanford. I know I'll need a Class B CDL but hey I've got year off so I'll get one and drive to CA next... Imagine a M35 in private ownership in San Diego or SF? That would funny as hell... But I going from Alaska to Argentina as soon as I get some backers for my Bio-Fuel Trek of a life time plus I have to modify the truck for the trip.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

I just did a 1000 miles in the deuce from Little Rock to Orlando. Took 23 hours straight to make it home. I am not wanting to do it again any time soon but it really was not that bad. Take your time and enjoy the ride. You will see a lot more at 50mph than you do at 70mph +. Stop often and walk around just to make sure that nothing is leaking or falling off. Blame the extra stops on the truck and not your sore butt! Almost every trucker that went by me gave me a thumbs up. It was nice to see them supporting the military (they did not know that I was a civilan). Drive safe!
I get asked what I'm doing at the Kroegers and the Laundry mat a lot. I believe that people thnk the National Guard is now out sourcing to the Tan Laundry Connection on Cardinal Blvd. All because I do my laundry there and go to the library for my school work. It is funny actually, kids gap and I let them climb in it. People take pictures of it. So I figure every time I stop I'll get a similar result.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Longest trip I made in an M35A2 was 18 hours. It was really fun...until about five hours in. I would do it again, but only if absolutely necessary to get my truck some where. Otherwise, about five hours is the furthest I'd go just for the heck of it.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Longest trip I made in an M35A2 was 18 hours. It was really fun...until about five hours in. I would do it again, but only if absolutely necessary to get my truck some where. Otherwise, about five hours is the furthest I'd go just for the heck of it.
In the past year I've put 3,000 miles on the truck but it has all been local driving most trips are about 100-130miles round trip. So this is my longest journey yet, 880-920miles depending on well I navigate, my navigation skills often suck.

Mark3395

I compounded the drive... taking my M1009 CUCV to Ft. Benning for a training gig and pickedu up a deuce at Warner Robbins.

Took that CUCV with a medium towbar to hook to a nice '87 M35A2. Towed 900 miles back in two days. Total was about 25 hrs driving time. Wore hearing protection and had tools and supplies inh the deuce. Spring seat was wonderful. No real problems. Tended to set the throttle for 50 mph on the flat so I had a little reserve for uphil and minor downhil wouldn't overrev me.
\
Figure on doing it again. Frankly, our Servicemen and Women are expected to make such drives during major deployments.

It's all part ofthe fun.

EulaVFD#620

If someone would let me use their deuce, I would gladly make the drive anywhere any time. Good luck on your trip take lots of breaks, even if you think you don't need them.

620 out

We once drove 2200 kilometers through UK / Belgium / Netherland / Germany in about 30 hours, if I recall right. But we were two of us and swapped drivers every two hours or so. You might want to consider taking a buddy along, that's more fun anyhow and you have some extra hands if something needs to be fixed on the fly. Oh yes, and ears rang, a$$ hurts, neck is sore, but I still feel the satisfaction to have made it despite some problems like a leaking fuel tank, ripped generator / compressor belts and so on.

Best thing after such an achievement: having a few cold beers and chilling it out.

Have fun!
Mark

The last long trip I made in my duece was about 500 miles (Ft. Bragg, NC to Ft. Benning, GA) I had my M105 and all my spare tires etc in the back and towed My M1009 behind. 12 hrs wasn't to bad. Just make sure you stop every few hrs to check for leaks, flat tires and such. And for me the hearing protection from Harbor Frieght and some earbuds work nicely with an Ipod. Good luck and stay safe.

wellesleyhighway

32+ hours plowing with an old Mack with a Quad Box and air assist steering gives about the same excitement. Dress for it...Sweat pants, sneakers or whatever. Don't forget, PLENTY OF WATER!, coffee is fine, but, push the water, you'll feel better. Good luck

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My longest trip was 350 miles but it took days to get the smile off my face when I got home.

I thought the ride was better than in my 2004 Dodge 1500 4x4.

I use David Clark ear protection just like I used in the Navy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks