• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone had a fender bender?

K9Vic

Many street intersections now have video cameras recording folks. Was the video that the cop watched yours, the spy camera or both?
Just my video, showed it to him on the camcorders screen.

On a side note, the quality of that vid is excellent, could you possibly give me a bit more info on said camera, HD? pic of the mount would be cool too...... many thanks.
It is just a normal camcorder that is mounted on a RAM mount with some tie wraps, the model is Sanyo VPC-GH2. It was about $100 on sale and works well in 1080HD and usually use 720P as it allows me more record time. I do not always have it in my M1009, it is usually always mounted in my 09 Tahoe as that is more of my daily driver. I have a DC cord for it so it will never lose power due to dead battery, only stop would be memory card filling up.

I didn't know they allowed FMVs in South Lake.
LOL, they do and funny part was the officer that showed up we talked for about 15 minutes after about military trucks. He was looking at getting a deuce so I clued him in on where to look, he already knew about SS. As for other police in SL, I have never been followed of stopped. I guess it has to do with many of the officers in SL are former military.

(I will add picture of the mount later tonight)

EDIT: Added camera mount picture.

Attachments

Last edited:

K9Vic

I had a lady brake check me in the rain in my 1009..needless to say i smashed in the back of her honda civic caused 7K in damage and i casually drove off after the police came as i had ZERO damage to my rig.. who brake checks a CUCV thinking everything is gonna O.K? still trying to figure that one out i guess the brush guard doesnt give people the hint along with the tow hooks

Were you following too close? I do not see why someone would brake check unless they felt the person behind them was too close (IMHO).

On the flip side, I have had people follow me too close in my CUCV trucks. The part that is sweet about these trucks is that you can turn off the lights and they will not know you are braking. I have had people back the F off a few times doing that trick, but I have only needed to do that a few times. One time was with a M101A2 trailer I was pulling, guy would not back off for miles until I did this trick.

Kaiserjeeps

I wanted this to settle out before posting it. It has been two months so apparently I am not buying a new 2012 BMw X-5. I had not driven it in a while. On February 4th, I went into town to pick up a rear rockwell, boarding ladder, two 1100's and a spare cargo cover. I left my friends home and headed to another a couple miles away. Traveling through a very busy area of Portland (SE 82nd area) I was in the inside lane of a 4 lane street. Some guy pulled from the outside lane coming the other way into the turn lane. He stopped at such an angle he left both the front and rear corner hanging in my lane and the people coming the other way. I had no time to do much expect squeeze around him trying not to crowd the person next to me. Well we were approaching a light and it had changed and I did not see it. A woman in a brand new BMW x-5 complete with window sticker had stopped for the red. By the time I looked up it was to late. I hit her doing about 20-25 mph. Her rear glass is still in my side steps.
I have state farm. I pay 9 bucks a month for special use. I had 300K in coverage and unfortunately the vehicle coverage was only 50K. I got the policy a long time ago and I think the standard for liability was 50 K instead of 100K like now. So my biggest point here is I switched all of my auto policy's for 100K coverage instead of 50K. It was only 1.50 per rig. Make sure you have 100K on the vehicle. The BMW sells for 60K new.
State farm called and actually asked me if everything was going the way I wanted it.??? Uh... OK. I claimed no damage. I bent the lower part of my bumper back about 1.5 inches. Plus my winch shear pin sheared after my cab shifted and put my PTO in low range. Not a happy sound. I have since fixed it and adjusted the PTO shifter after checking the cab mounting. The truck is fine.
Not a question about what I was doing with the truck or where I was going. I can only recommend State Farm after this. I had a few sleepless nights over this.
Mainly because I watched a woman go away in an ambulance duct taped to a back board because of my actions. No matter what you say they will not disclose the severity of her injuries. Even now.

Be careful out in traffic.

And tie down your loads. Fortunately I secured the rockwell. Everything else was piled into the front bed rack trying to join me in the cab.

Attachments

Kaiserjeeps

Something I didn't mention. Panic stopping a duece means you should examine your brake shoes for broken welds on the top of the shoe frame. I did and mine were fine. I refused to drive it until this was done. I had this happen a few years ago and it caused complete brake failure later on.

Attachments

jeeplvr247

Good thing she was not leaving the dealership in her new Fiat. That picture reminds me of the phrase, "it's a battle of the lug nuts out there, the man with the most wins"

Tanner

Thought about the same thing yesterday. Do I let my new licensed learners permit son drive (with me) in the M1009, the Silverado 2500HD crew cab with 8 foot bed, or the Trailblazer? He has driven the Silverado off highway before (we have a farm) and can handle a Bobcat Toolcat really well. It probably won't be the M1009 (yet).
Let him drive the M1009 - it's cheap & disposable compared to the others in your list.

For all: see if 'Replacement Value' or some similarly-worded insurance is available for your vehicle... may be called 'Agreed Value' insurance?

Last edited:

wayne pick

Don't beat yourself up over it. If you t-boned the guy that pulled out in front of you, you may have gone right over him and killing him in the process. As far as the red light goes, there was a lot going on in a short amount of time. the guy who pulled out started the whole senerio. The woman you hit was colateral damage not caused by you. WCP.

saddamsnightmare

April 12th, 2012.

Another reason NOT to own a Dodge Caravan.... The fault was mine in closing up after a stop (25' back from the Caravan),the foot came off the clutch at a KMPH and there is no way 4 unassisted drum brakes are gonna stop a Unimog in 1st gear! ...Still not much there but tin... Note the $5.00 scuff mark on the Unimog bumper (one can of Rustoleaum* Camouflage green)! The way they run red lights here in Springfield I would be a lot happer if the Unimog was a V-100, but as long as they don't get my gas tanks, :shock:I'm good!:gimp2: Now you know why their machines last so long, a Unimog is little other then a three ton tractor built like a Panzer!

Attachments

Last edited:

pvtjorge

I was just thinking today about a mini camcorder windshield mount for my M38.
Thanks for the post it got me to searching for one.
Just need to figure out which one will work.

rednckii

For everyone thinking about a crash pack look up a SF-91 on google. It is the standard form we fill out when we have an accident driving uncle sams toys. Also affecionatly known as a "SEABEE F&%^UP FORM"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks