• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone here had fuel stolen?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking about a locking fuel cap, too. However, the thieves appear to punch tanks more and more now. They take what they can and leave the rest spilling all over the place.

Maybe having fuel sucked off through the open cap beats a hole in the tank, and driveway/soil contamination in the well area?

Jakob

I was thinking about a locking fuel cap, too. However, the thieves appear to punch tanks more and more now. They take what they can and leave the rest spilling all over the place.

Maybe having fuel sucked off through the open cap beats a hole in the tank, and driveway/soil contamination in the well area?
If a cap is secured on the tank, they are punching holes in tanks like you said. I worked at Autozone back when fuel went really high the first time. At least once every couple of days we had someone coming in for a new fuel tank.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I don't need theft problems anymore than the rest, I think I would rather lose some fuel than have to replace/repair fuel tanks. It got interesting around here 3 years ago when fuel was near $5 a gal. There were some noticeable "smokers" traveling the township roads. Seems they must have gotten some bad fuel also. :lol:

Jakob

While I don't need theft problems anymore than the rest, I think I would rather lose some fuel than have to replace/repair fuel tanks. It got interesting around here 3 years ago when fuel was near $5 a gal. There were some noticeable "smokers" traveling the township roads. Seems they must have gotten some bad fuel also. :lol:
That's a good reason to NOT lock the tank, at least they won't destroy it by punching a hole it in to get the fuel out since the cap is locked.

Flyingvan911

When I park at the airport for company trips, I try to only leave 1/4 tank or so left. They might get some, but it won't be much. The crooks would rather not get caught, but if they do, they know not much will happen to them.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a good reason to NOT lock the tank, at least they won't destroy it by punching a hole it in to get the fuel out since the cap is locked.
I agree. The only thing a locking cap will do is keep people from dumping something down into your tank. If I was going to steal fuel I'd just punch a hole or take the drain plug out and let gravity do the work.

linx310

Back when gas was about $4.00 a gallon a few years ago I drove home from work and noticed my gas gauge was at 1/3 of a tank yet I just filled it up the day before.

When I was at a stop light some guy pulled up next to me and told me my gas door was open.

Whom ever took my gas did it in broad daylight in an open parking lot.

From what I understand there was some thieves driving around in cargo vans with sliding doors. They would pull up next to your car, drop a hose in with an electric pump and sucks out your gas in minutes.

I also have a friend who had a 500 gallon tank of diesel disappear off there ranch. You had to drive in miles to even know it was there so I think it was inside job from one of the workers.

Anyone make 1/4" mesh screen tube that could be placed into the tank such that it stays near the top and is as long as the tank, then replace the filler neck with unlocked cap. Thief places hose, it goes in easy an appropriate amount and only gets the top 10% of the tank or so depending on tube placement...

Or an old farmer trick, a small tank within a tank. The highway patrol spot checks would only pull out clear fuel - the dyed fuel would have to have the siphon correctly and carefully placed to reach it. When fueling, use a nozzle extension that ensures dyed fuel reaches the correct part of the tank... Thieves would only get the 1 or 2 gallons of the sacrificial (clear) fuel...

Might be a product concept there for a small welding shop....

deathrowdave

I would love to catch someone !!!! I need to resharpen my skills with my M40 . Usually makes for a bad day when they get about 600 yards away and the back glass or tire blows out !!! I will give anyone in need what I have but have no patience for stealing !!!

tnttnt187

When I park at the airport for company trips, I try to only leave 1/4 tank or so left. They might get some, but it won't be much. The crooks would rather not get caught, but if they do, they know not much will happen to them.
B.S. That may be what the city rats may think, but you get caught on this mountain stealing. Well let's just say end of story! What happen to the days when you did not have to lock your front door let alone your gas cap.

Jakob

B.S. That may be what the city rats may think, but you get caught on this mountain stealing. Well let's just say end of story! What happen to the days when you did not have to lock your front door let alone your gas cap.
Those neighborhoods and places still exist, but it's outsiders who come in to those places that ruin it.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may be a wee bit off topic here...but, still along the same lines.

If you thought the fuel thieves are bad...Well (no pun intended), the scrappers are sinking to a new low. It seems now they stealing bronze headstones right out of the ground in cemeteries. I have seen several local news stories about this despicable behavior. Some instances have involved the pilfering of veterans' headstones. There is definitely a special place in H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks for these for these "resourceful" folks.

Here is just one of those instances.

Bronze grave markers stolen - The Daily Breeze

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I restate my last post.......public flogging.

My Grandma had no problem using a hickory switch on me and my brother out in public.......I still remember how that felt as it worked it's way up and down my legs.

Criminals have little or no fear of the law nowdays....no matter what the crime....from stealing to murder....the justice system in this country has turned into a joke that enriches lawyers and emboldens criminals.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I restate my last post.......public flogging.

My Grandma had no problem using a hickory switch on me and my brother out in public.......I still remember how that felt as it worked it's way up and down my legs.

Criminals have little or no fear of the law nowdays....no matter what the crime....from stealing to murder....the justice system in this country has turned into a joke that enriches lawyers and emboldens criminals.
There is no "nowdays" to it and the system has been broke a very long time. Criminals come from everywhere and that includes corporate board rooms to the pool hall on the back alley.
It's just more people have the time to bitch and moan about it and the internet to reach a larger audience.

I like to think karma will win in the end.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks