• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Have to bob my 1989 5ton not by choice. info and help needed

ethanc2141

Hey all, I have to bob my truck. I originally bought the truck to help with veteran run charity events and to help raise money for charity here in Arizona. My trucks parking situation has gone XXXXX up. I can't park it at my place due to axel restrictions on the street and hoa rules. So now I have to bob it to get by the hoa rules. Any links or personal knowledge would be great. Thank you all and Semper Fi

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingvan911

I keep my deuce at a RV storage lot. The other people there keep an eye on it for me. The spot is about $60 a month. In my case it's city zoning laws.

dawico

I would search other parking options as opposed to bobbing it. That is just me though.

Good luck in which ever path you choose.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you really believe that the hoa will go "Oh, he removed an axle, everything is honky-dory now"?

Gunzy

Personnaly I would never "Bob" a truck. They ride bad enough with the bogy rear suspension, pull it and go to leaf sprinds you just as well go get an old buckboard wagon. But that is just me. I also think your HOA is NOT going to accept the removal of an axle as being OK for them. Look for other parking arrangements or move out of the HOA. I don't live in one and never will, they are too restrictive on what you can do on your own property. Or you can just send it north to me and I will take care of it, just a thought.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The county, city, hoa etc. statute/rules probably defines a truck with 3 axles as a commercial vehicle. They prohibit the parking of commercial vehicles in your area. Before you remove a axle and think you are good, make sure there isn't also a weight listed that makes it a commercial vehicle as well. Where I live its 3 axles or over 10k lbs.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like a pretty pristine 939 series truck to mess up bobbing it! I would sure as heck look for another place to park it to avoid wrecking the truck! Some options you may consider is are there any farmers that you know who would possibly let you park it at their place, even if it cost you 50.00 per month it would have their farm security watching over it! There are lots of options for you here if you give it a bit of thought, and all of them are a heck of a lot less work than messing up a very nice looking truck!
Karl

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the HOA doesn't like it with 3 axles, they won't like it with 2 axles any better. Doesn't matter what the letter of the rules states either - they'll interpret it to prohibit the neutered version too.

$50 per month should get you into RV storage.

(I know I'm just echoing what was stated above...)

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm glad I bought a house that does not have an HOA. I feel bad for you guys. Personally IF I WAS A SUPER PICKY GUY< BUT IM NOT... I don't see a problem if somebody has one truck in their driveway and their house is still very well kept up and his property looks nice. That is my angle now at my new house. I keep the area very nice and looking good, I go out of my way to help neighbors because it makes me feel good and they will be more likely to look the other way if I did something noisy at my house for a little bit or something like that (while still trying to be courteous). That was at the top of my list when I was looking for a house.... no HOA. They only seem to be retired old people with nothing else to do except look at what other people are doing and bust them for it. :sad:

74M35A2

I'm glad I bought a house that does not have an HOA. I feel bad for you guys. Personally IF I WAS A SUPER PICKY GUY< BUT IM NOT... I don't see a problem if somebody has one truck in their driveway and their house is still very well kept up and his property looks nice. That is my angle now at my new house. I keep the area very nice and looking good, I go out of my way to help neighbors because it makes me feel good and they will be more likely to look the other way if I did something noisy at my house for a little bit or something like that (while still trying to be courteous). That was at the top of my list when I was looking for a house.... no HOA. They only seem to be retired old people with nothing else to do except look at what other people are doing and bust them for it. :sad:
Not specifically. A lot of HOA's are an attempt to keep a neighborhood nice in appearance, and that is taken to different levels. I have seen it from just dues collection and no HOA requirements, all the way to no siding allowed (house must be brick on all 4 sides), minimum square footage, no washing of vehicles in the sub, and no parking of any vehicles overnight outside of your garage. If everybody takes care of their yard in a respectful manner, it should not be required. I'm also against them, but I can understand how they came about.

Agreed with above, would hate to see you cut an axle and frame section off your truck, and then they still hate and get you anyway. The 10,000lb limit is also a valid point. I know this is a stretch, but is there anyway it can fit in a garage structure at your location? If you have a HOA, you likely are not going to have a pole barn in your yard, so I doubt this can be useful.

Goobs

My hoa does not like my truck just because it is so big but Im not violating any rules so I told them to pork themselves. Then they had the balls to come to my house and ask me if I would be in the association's 4th of July parade. Again I told them to take a long walk off a short pier.

dmetalmiki

My hoa does not like my truck just because it is so big but Im not violating any rules so I told them to pork themselves. Then they had the balls to come to my house and ask me if I would be in the association's 4th of July parade. Again I told them to take a long walk off a short pier.
"how to make friends and influence people" Still reckon I would have "humored" them just to get along and prevent future hostilities! Hope the (posting) Truck owner with the hostile HOA gets something sorted out to suit his requirements.

ethanc2141

The hoa can't regulate the street parking. I know they try and say they can but we just won that battle lol. The axel removal would be for the city code so they can't write a ticket. This truck will inevitably be bobbed and my next will be restored to original. Didn't mean to make this thread a hoa thing lol. Thank you everyone for your input I am relatively new to the site and the responses have been great

o1951

Instead of bobbing a nice truck, can you remove front rear axle and fab new drive shaft? that brings it to 6 wheels, and is reversible in future.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hoa can't regulate the street parking. I know they try and say they can but we just won that battle lol. The axel removal would be for the city code so they can't write a ticket. This truck will inevitably be bobbed and my next will be restored to original. Didn't mean to make this thread a hoa thing lol. Thank you everyone for your input I am relatively new to the site and the responses have been great

Check the city code carefully. Registered as historic already makes you exempt from almost all the commercial vehicle ordnance regarding weight and axle count.

Want to trade it for a deuce? (Nonbobbed now, but deuces don't look quite so neutered when bobbed)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks