• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head board crane

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have in the past, seen a roll bar on a jeep that was also a small crane. I saw it at Miltruck's place maybe he might have a pic or info on it. Anyway, I have decided I am going to make a crane to go in the head board area of my deuce kind of like that roll bar crane/cherry picker. I have a container converter dolly that is only a partial. On it, it has 4 hydraulic cyls that should make for good articulation. A while ago, I picked up a hydraulic pump that is 24v, made to move the stern drive of a boat. What wall thickness do you think I should use for maybe a 1000lb lift arm. I will have to see what size steel the dolly is made out of, as it has already been paid for and just sitting around. I also have been wondering about making the lift arm able to swing whatever it picks up from next to the bed to inside the bed. How could I make some kind of friction brake to keep a load under control?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How could I make some kind of friction brake to keep a load under control?

Have it where it is geared-you have to spin a crank to rotate the boom. This makes it easier to move and control heavy loads and acts as a brake.

gimpyrobb

Do you have something in mind to attach? I was thinking about that and don't want to have to pay for some kind of ring and pinion custom gear! I was thinking more of having the arm sit on some bearings and using some kind of all-thread as a friction drag.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
how about using a hydraulic cylinder to control rotation? Should have very good control. Alot of the track working machinery we use has these types of booms on them.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

I have seen those. I might use something like that adapted to a reciever hitch, but don't want one of those mounted in my bed.

oilcan

I have one of those motorized wheelchair lifts that does what you want on a smaller scale. (And it's only 12v) You might be able to strip it down and use the parts to build something heavier. Or at the least, look it over and model your full size version off it.

Can't find a pic right now.

oilcan

Gotcha.
And that scissor lift thing will be coming off the top of the M116 pretty soon, too.
And the 5 ton tires...
I need a semi trailer to bring all your junk down to cinci!

Gastrap

You could use a hydraulic cylinder for rotation also by running a loop of roller chain between an idler sprocket & a sprocket on the hoist shaft. Then fix the cylinder rod to a point on the chain. This will give you as much rotation as want to build into it.

chain.jpg

I built a 1 ton telescoping boom hoist for our dually at work & used a 5:1 chain reduction with a small hydraulic motor for the rotation-works good, all the rotating gear is under the floor.

I need to build one for my Deuce as well to handle my antique flywheel engines at the shows.

ETA, wow, that was uneccessarily huge!

Last edited:

tm america

they sell one that goes in a reciever hitch.it swings to either side of the truck can be used as a engine hoist or to load the bed looked pretty easy to make .i think jc whitney sells em

gimpyrobb

I decided using the "headboard" section would require totally rebuilding it to handle the weight I want to be able to use. I have a 900 series tire hoist customized to sit in the corner of the bed. I drilled some of the holes to mount it tonight, with a hand drill. WTF! Sure wish I hadn't lent that mag-drill out to a buddy 3 hours away. My arms feel like jello, and I'm not done yet. Not sure what I was thinking, 5/8 holes in 5/8 plate. Both the bottom of the hoist mount AND the plate going under the bed. Sheesh.

southdave

while yakin about this I forgot to mention that Jurgueson on mosteller rd had a few old mech. trucks in pieces out back some of which had old auto cranes on them... that was awhile ago... but it is close by to you I could give you a number

DUECE-COUPE

I took a pedestal lift from harbor freight, cost new was 150, got it from a guy for $50 and built a replacement for the rotating head that is made of 3x3 square tubing, I added hing pins with spacers to allow them to drop into the 2 6 inch pipes, mounted on my roll bar on the passenger side, and used the arm and the winch and cable to lift my spare tire up on the tuck. the davit arm was the right size for the job, but I cut a little off the main arm to allow it to be collapsed and stored in the tool box in the bed of the truck. this made the arm is 6 inches to short to center up on the rim, so i built an extension that slides in to the main arm and the extending arm slides into it. works like a charm, even used it to pull a well out of the ground. has a 2000 lb lift capacity when closed, and 500 at full extension. theses are manufacture rates, so they are a little conservative.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks