• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head board crane

bill2444

keep an eye out on craigslist, I just scored an econo ton for 200 bucks. All it needed was a paint job-but it needed to be green anyways.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So Its mounted and doesn't budge. I did make a top support for it, not sure if I'll put it on or not. Now I need to remember where I put that stupid 2klb winch I got for it! It will be mounted to the top of the post. The top tube is 30" from the back side of the 90*, with the extension all the way in it reaches 54", and extended its 73ish.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

Tried it out on Friday lifting an XML on a hemtt rim. It handled it ok, but the bed flexed a little. The base of the crane is too small. Not sure if I want to put a plate between the crane and the top of the bed, or if I want to weld the bottom plate in place. I will have to update the thread with my fix later on.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks good now, but I can see it bending up like a pretzel during the next rollover

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a little flex and your only mounted to the bed I would weld an upper support structure to the top of the deuce box or 4"x1/4" angle iron horizontal to the box back. That should cure the flex. Some peoples ingenuity around here is amazing.:)

KsM715

Has anyone seen or have a source for the chain fall for these Davits? According to BII each truck is supposed to have one but I have yet to a pic of one in use.

LanceRobson

Has anyone considered cutting down a 2-ton engine hoist and mounting it on a pivoting base? Good used engine hoists can be had for $100-150 fairly often. Add a chain fall or cable hoist and you'd be all set.

Any thoughts?

Lance

LanceRobson

I've seen them Gimpy but they aren't anywhere near as stout. For a small crane though I guess I'd likely only need enough to hoist tires and other than that the heaviest thing I'd pick with it would likely be a 560 pound welder/generator.

Will you be at Aberdeen?

Lance

gimpyrobb

Well, we have yet ANOTHER installment for this thread!

I just brought home a Ruger hydraulic bed crane. I really wanted to find a small Hiab K-boom like what we saw at Haspin, but I could not find one. After some searching I found this at a reasonable price. :whistle:

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that a wheelchair lift ? :gimp:

tm america

Looks nice how much will it lift?Not sure why you need it i like your other method.....Flip truck on its side then roll items in the bed and flip truck back over and go?

gimpyrobb

Is that a wheelchair lift ? :gimp:
Never thought about that, maybe my medical insurance will pay for it!

Looks nice how much will it lift?Not sure why you need it i like your other method.....Flip truck on its side then roll items in the bed and flip truck back over and go?
I like that method too, but I can't afford to keep Stretch 5mins from my truck at all times. I needed another option.

George, on a side note, I might have a pattern for you to start making a new product to sell. How thick of material will your plasma-cam cut?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks