• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head gasket leak??

texas30cal

I think they may be new style, in one of the pics I see a tab sticking out, isn't that the indicator of the new ones? It was overhauled at TEAD in 92.

Last edited:

searls84

Looks to me that the oil originated from higher up.
My thoughts too. Like the exhaust ports at the manifold or maybe even valve covers. Check the valve cover bolts and exhaust/intake manifold bolts and nuts for tightness. If you have been letting it idle a lot recently, I would take it on a good drive to clear the exhaust of any build up or residue then degrease the motor and keep an eye on the suspected area(s).

The head gaskets with the tabs are the old style; known to weep a little.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You can see the "tab" in the second(and third) pic. That old style head gasket was designed to seep according to the TM.

It can't hurt to check torque on the intake/exhaust manifolds too. I found mine not tight on my turbo truck.

Last edited:

texas30cal

Well I climbed on top, definitely not valve covers. It's wet around where the elbow from the turbo meets the intake manifold, around the coupler from the turbo to the elbow too. Now I'm afraid of a runaway. Funny thing is that the gasket that seals the oil line to the turbo was leaking so I replaced, now the ferrule on the oil line at the turbo is seeping and it seems there is oil inside the intake, all this in a few days time. At this point I'm fairly certain the oil on the block is coming out between the intake manifold and the head.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

How long has it not been used? You just got it and started using it for what, 3 months? Things are gonna seep a little, I wouldn't worry about it.

texas30cal

Got in October, put 1700 miles on it since, just degreased Saturday after replacing that oil line gasket. It's been dry up until this. Should there be oil inside the intake?

gimpyrobb

None of my turbo vehicles have dry intakes, not sure if they should be!

Not sure what "oil line gasket" you are referring to.

texas30cal

Where the oil feed line attaches to the top side it screws onto a fitting that is attached to the turbo by two 5/16" bolts and a gasket, I replaced that gasket, cleaned and inspected the line and ferrules. I believe it to be a D as my other trucks turbo has a MUCH more pronounced whistle.

texas30cal

Neither can I, but I'm new to these and not a diesel expert by any means. I've always been a gas guy, always said alcohol is for drinking, and diesel was for washing parts ! It's just odd that within a week the flame heater injector started leaking externally, then the oil line, now out of the intake gaskets.

gimpyrobb

Honestly, I wrench on mine as much or more than I drive it. Its a labor of love but gets to be a pita sometimes. I've learned not sweat the petty things(but like to pet the sweaty things).

rustystud

How long has it not been used? You just got it and started using it for what, 3 months? Things are gonna seep a little, I wouldn't worry about it.
I totally agree with Chris here. At work we used the Federal Guideline for oil leaks . After driving the vehicle for at least 2 hours and letting it sit for 4 hours, if there isn't an 8" circle or larger of oil on the pavement under the vehicle then the leak is not considered a problem. So do you have a puddle of oil under your truck ?

texas30cal

I do understand it's a old truck (my other vehicles are a 71 Cheyenne and a 79 corvette) and I do enjoy it, until I know a LOT more I just want to play it safe and avoid doing any damage due to a lack of fixing a problem.

texas30cal

I was making a big puddle until I fixed the heater injector and the turbo oil line leak but only for a few days, I degreased and those are pretty much stopped but these leaks are brand new since sat. It's leaked all over the front diff, will degrease again and check every drive then report back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks