• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head gasket replacement tips and tricks.

Blueduce

Tell me about it. I was holding my breath the entire way. Every little squeak or creek she made I was freaking out. I think I spent the whole trip staring at the gauges instead of the road. It's defiantly a testament to the M35 series of trucks and that LDT engine.

Diecorpse

Glad to see you got your truck fixed. I have all the parts I need now, so tomorrow is my day off and thats what I will be doing. How long did it take you to reassemble? I plan on this being an all day project as I will be taking my time and cleaning, oiling everything as I go.

Blueduce

I took my time and made sure everything was clean, painted, and in good order. I took the time to rent a thread chase and chased everything from the head bolts to the manifold bolts. That project in itself took a day. With all the disassembly, parts cleaning / soaking, old gasket scraping, bolt chasing, and reassembly I would figure on a good solid full week minimum. A lot of fellas can do it much faster that that but considering it was my first attempt and I did send the heads off for re-surfacing. It took them a few days to get the heads back to me any way.
Glad to see you got your truck fixed. I have all the parts I need now, so tomorrow is my day off and thats what I will be doing. How long did it take you to reassemble? I plan on this being an all day project as I will be taking my time and cleaning, oiling everything as I go.

Blueduce

There was a hairline crack between the exhaust and intake valve on my rear head last cylinder closest to the firewall. It was reparable thankfully. They pulled the valves welded the crack and reseated the valves then pressure tested the head.

Diecorpse,
What did you findout about your heads when you took them in?

Denny

Diecorpse

Denny,
The guy that looked them said they didn't need to be planed but was concerned about the exhaust valve since the aluminum was bad in their. He got them cleaned up and it was good to go. I was surprised by how fast it was done and it was less than a hundred bucks!! Small local garage, he had good advertisement through word of mouth. I did check my turbo, didn't notice any foreign materials or damage. So I hope all is good. Right now, my biggest problem will be fixing my dipstick tube. But thats last on the list. I just have to figure out exactly how the intake and exhaust manifold is going back on, seems like there is a trick to since they fit so close together.

Blueduce

I followed the TM and put the intake on first. The trick I learned through trial and error was to install the intake but not tighten it down completely until you have the exhaust manifold mounted up first. (hang them both loosely and work them both on at the same time) Do not try to persuade either manifold to fit with a mallet and punch of any kind. The intake is aluminum and will bend easily. The exhaust manifold is steel but can be brittle especially around the mounting tabs. (don't ask me how I know). Make sure you chase all the threads on both before you install or your torque specks will be off. I would also strongly suggest replacing all the nuts used to install the exhaust manifold and all nuts and bolts on the turbo mount. They can get over heated and brittle. I snapped two of the rear bolts off re-torquing the turbo back down trying to use the old bolts. If your considering tapping your manifold for a pyro sending unit now is the time to do it.

JasonS

Can anyone give me the number and size of the head freeze plugs? My truck is two hours away and I'd like to prepare in advance.

Blueduce

There are 8 freeze plugs per head (16 in all) and a total of 3 separate sizes. I looked forever for the sizes to no avail. It doesn't say in the TM I used 9-2320-209-34-2-1 but I could swear I had it written down around here somewhere. I'll keep looking unless someone else chimes in. If you look at the 4th post to this thread a fellow SS member “cattlerepairman” did some research and compiled a laundry list of head gasket threads. I looked through the top 20 threads but might have missed something.

Can anyone give me the number and size of the head freeze plugs? My truck is two hours away and I'd like to prepare in advance.

Diecorpse

I left the intake loose, but yet, the exhaust manifold still wouldn't go on, it was bumping the intake, it would come really close to fitting but not quite. I wonder if it would be easier with two people to get lined up with all the bolts.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There are 8 freeze plugs per head (16 in all) and a total of 3 separate sizes. I looked forever for the sizes to no avail. It doesn't say in the TM I used 9-2320-209-34-2-1 but I could swear I had it written down around here somewhere. I'll keep looking unless someone else chimes in. If you look at the 4th post to this thread a fellow SS member “cattlerepairman” did some research and compiled a laundry list of head gasket threads. I looked through the top 20 threads but might have missed something.
Post #23: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?11295-All-this-for-a-freeze-plug-!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
8 per head? are you sure? well the plugs at the ends of each head are 1" shallow total of 4, and there are 1 1/4" plugs total of 6, i think these are under the rocket arms.

Blueduce

Finding A soldier "B" is a good idea. It does take some finesse. If there is any excessive rust or pitting on the sides of the exhaust manifold mounting tabs you may want to go after it with a wire brush. If you still can't get it to go I would hit the sides of each tab with an angle grinder rather than prying it on or using a mallet.
I left the intake loose, but yet, the exhaust manifold still wouldn't go on, it was bumping the intake, it would come really close to fitting but not quite. I wonder if it would be easier with two people to get lined up with all the bolts.

JasonS

Let me know if I've got it right:

The Dorman Part #'s are
555-012 (3/4" x 0.25”), Intake side of head, three per head
555-018 (1" x 0.26”), Front and back of head, two per head
555-024 (1 1/4" x 0.28”), Under rocker arms, three per head
555-069 (2” x 0.42”), block, five total

Blueduce

Looks right to me. Did you account for the freeze plug on the right bank of the block under the data plate.
Let me know if I've got it right:

The Dorman Part #'s are
555-012 (3/4" x 0.25”), Intake side of head, three per head
555-018 (1" x 0.26”), Front and back of head, two per head
555-024 (1 1/4" x 0.28”), Under rocker arms, three per head
555-069 (2” x 0.42”), block, five total

Seth_O

Congrat's on a happy ending. I love it when a plan comes together. I think you did the right thing waiting and doing the job all the way. I'm probably close to 2yrs now since I did mine, and its working great still.

I remember on mine when I reassembled I questioned my sanity for a bit trying to get the intake/exhaust manifold back on. I finally sat back and scratched my head for a bit before I worked out putting them both on at about the same time. It took some weird contortionism with my hand getting to everything, but it did go back together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks