• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head gasket replacement tips and tricks.

Blueduce

A wise man once said. "There are only two kinds of deuces out there. Ones that have had there head gasket replaced and ones that will". There are only two things I didn't do while I had her apart which I wish I had. Hind site being 20/20 I should have taken my injectors and had them professionally cleaned, serviced, and tested. I also should have done the same thing to my turbo. She is still running better than ever but those two preventative maintenance issues still haunt me to this day.

Last edited:

Blueduce

It has been several months and a few hundred miles since the rebuild. All of it has been highway miles and I must say I am pleased. Not to jinx anything but I have seen no leaks and she is still running strong.
It used to be all I could do to keep her at a respectable 48mph on the highway. Now, after the rebuild I continually look down at my spedo to see her pushing 55 and wanting more. Don't worry fellas 2100 rpm is my max. There is no way I would jeopardize all my hard work just because she wants to run.
The only diference I have noticed is a bit more smoke out the stack when I accelerate. She is burning a bit more oil than she did and I have been keeping an eye on it. But I've also noticed that she doesn't slobber oil like she used to. The smoke is a medium gray in color. Should I be concerned.

JasonS

You are correct sir. But don't forget the three (6 total) on the intake side of each head.
My heads didn't have these plugs. Another strange thing was that there were cast-in bridges going front to rear at the top of each cylinder adjacent to the pushrods. It appears that these bridges were crudely cut out using a torch. Metal splatter was still in the cylinder heads going down the pushrod holes.

TsgtB

Well, hopefully i'll get to dig into my engine tomorrow. I've searched and read and search and check and finally feel fairly confident that I could do it.
Plus, my son-in-law is here, so maybe he can give me a hand.
I need to find a local shop to check/mil the heads,
buy a 7/8x1/2 torque adapter and order the gasket set.

I'm getting a 10x10 canopy shade, and a step stool to make it a little easier on me.
So, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Last edited:

TsgtB

well, i'm down to the bare heads, just need to get back in the TM and see where they suggest for "lift points" to raise the heads off the block. I'm not going to just muscle them off (bad back).... so i'll make a little overhead boom to lift from, (double 2x6 header style).
should be fun...

TsgtB

correction

I'll take a valve cover bolt down to the hardware store to see if I can find a couple of loop heads.
and maybe a small length of chain.
Hopefully the penetrating oil has gotten in there... and I may still have to make my special tool.
So far, I have been able to make small progress on the short studs, just taking my time...
better get out there.
Ya'll have a great day.

Last edited:

TsgtB

well.... as I expected.... #6 was full of coolant, gasket didn't really look bad, some of the red sealant was missing...
but one of the head studs on #4 looked like it was trying to pull out of the block....(?)
anyway, I cleaned out the cylinders, put some ATF in them, and letting it sit for a while. (it is seized)

Blueduce

If you wind up needing a new set of heads I have a line on a good pair (local). There LDS heads.
I do know with all the torque needed for these heads that the studs will sometimes stretch and need replaced. Might not be a bad idea if your this fat into it.

TsgtB

If you wind up needing a new set of heads I have a line on a good pair (local). There LDS heads.
I do know with all the torque needed for these heads that the studs will sometimes stretch and need replaced. Might not be a bad idea if your this fat into it.
Thanks Blueduce. I've got a rebuild on its way (the whole engine). Its was freshened up in 92, so that should be tons of fun getting it in and running.
My front head was good, rear was new but I think the engine has been doomed for a while... its had several gasket jobs and new head and all... so, I couldn't really see "trying" to fix it again. I think the block is either cracked or has been "doctored" in frame a few times.
So, I'll have spare parts for a while...

rustystud

There comes a time in a engines life where you just gotta say "enough is enough" and let it go. At work we rebuild our engines "in house" and some have been rebuilt over 10 times. There comes a point where your getting into metal fatigue and nothing will help it.

Blueduce

No worries. If you need anything just shoot me a line. If your doing a full pull It may be a good idea to check out your clutch pack and all those other transmission "goodies" while your in that far. I know the trans is a bear to pull by itself. ( been there, done that)

TsgtB

No worries. If you need anything just shoot me a line. If your doing a full pull It may be a good idea to check out your clutch pack and all those other transmission "goodies" while your in that far. I know the trans is a bear to pull by itself. ( been there, done that)
It looks like it comes with new clutch parts from pictures, but I hope its still in there.. the pictures are a few years old.
It may be a puddle of rust...
I'm still planning using a skytrack for the engine pull and leaving the trans hanging and slid back for a little clearance.
I'm starting to think about accepting some volunteer help, just to watch and guide the new engine into its hole.....
and keep me from smashing in the firewall or oil pan.

Blueduce

Give me a heads up a few days prior and I can shoot down for the afternoon. With my back I can't do a lot of heavy lifting but I can give you an extra set of boots on the ground and turn a wrench or two.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks