• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heads Up Florida! New DMV definition coming!

Dodge man

I don't know about G.P. but I THINK G.L. was a Florida based corporation and that's why they issued Florida titles. Maybe someone knows more about that and can comment on it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know about G.P. but I THINK G.L. was a Florida based corporation and that's why they issued Florida titles. Maybe someone knows more about that and can comment on it.
GL is based in Phoenix, AZ , but they were a license car dealer in floridia.

infidel got me

G.L. and G.P. were both dealers in Floriduh, because the state was either lax in their title process or a loophole existed. My truck has antique tags, being registered as a former military vehicle (regardless of age) not a firefighting apparatus. Dilligraf posted the required form in post # 11.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not going to worry that the sky is falling just yet. We don't have titles for trailers under 1500lbs. Per reading this post we still can insure and register the MV's with the new law. Is there not other states that are non title for some things. Maybe there system needs to down size and stop holding paper titles and send the info to the black hole of the cyber space.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dodge man - Try going to another tag office and see what story you get. Go there with an open mind and a smile on your face. Leave the anger and frustration at home. Act like you know little, and ask politely worded questions. See what answers you get. One more thing - avoid the tag office at Dean and University. The line starts forming around 7:30am, and the office opens at 8:30am. There will be at least 70 people in front of you if you get there at 7:45am!!! Ask me how I know... aua

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
I can probably add a bit of insight here: A couple things first of all the OHV title we issued on Humvees are EXACTLY how FL instructed us to do it from the DMV HQ in Tallahassee.

A few weeks ago a person walked into the regional office in Tampa with an OHV title and decided to tell them why it should be on-road. When they didn't give him the answer he wanted to hear he got angry, his "tone" got the attention of a few people including the Regional Manager At this point the guy got belligerent with the RM who stated well if you want to get technical this vehicle doesn't meet the OHV classification due to its weight and dimensions. SO this guy started looking a bit deeper and looked up 6 digit VINs and noticed that AM general Humvees were also titled as street legal in some cases.

They are looking into how they classify them. We have met with the focus group handling this issue in Tallahassee and feel confident that they will continue to issue a title for Off Highway Use just will have a different classification. We have been told that this is only affecting the Humvee's. It sounds like the typical DMV situation where they all think they are in the "know" and aren't quite as informed as they think they are.

Are official answer at the moment is: There have been recent developments in the governing agency of the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles that have caused us to temporarily discontinue the issuance of Off Road titles for Humvees. We will continue to monitor the situation and provide an update when available. In the interim, we still offer Off Road SF 97’s for your Humvee purchase.

Last edited:

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the clarification, Jwade. My guess is the confusion started when Dodge man told the tag office workers that he needs a title for a military vehicle. Tag office employees don't deal with MV's all the time, and have no idea what a HMMWV, M939A1, M715, M561, M35A2, M38A1, etc even look like. They recently heard the new rule, and assumed it applies to ALL MV's.

Gunzy

Thanks that I live in a state that will accept SF97s for license and titling regardless of it being an M923 or an M105.

Dodge man

OD, You can believe what you want but I did not get angry at the local DMV employees. in fact they have bent over backwards to try and sort his out and to help me. You clearly didn't read my postings because I never hinted at having any kind of disagreement with ANY of the DMV employees. Furthermore what I posted here is exactly what I was told by a STATE DMV employee from Volusia County and from TWO different different conversations with my STATE Senators office. No one; not the local DMV employees or the office manager, the State senator's office, or the STATE DMV employee that I talked to, understands what is going on within DMV regarding FMVs. They ALL also understand that this is a 1952 Willys Jeep. I even took the operator's and maintenance manuals and pictures with me to show then the weight, etc. The title that I was transferring also says "1952 Willys Jeep"! There was never ANY discussion of HMMVs or other later model military vehicles, The ONLY vehicle that was discussed was a 1952 Willys Jeep PERIOD! Tallahassee DMV may be looking at others, I don't know. But here, the discussion has ONLY been about my Jeep. You can can stick your head in the sand and HOPE this doesn't affect MV owners but I think it will. Either way, I've tried to warn everyone of what may be coming but obviously some prefer to explain it away as some how being my fault. Frankly, I'm sorry that I even bothered to post here. I'm DONE!

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm deeply sorry. I apologize for any misunderstanding. Please forgive me. I didn't mean to imply that you went at anyone with a bad attitude. I appreciate everything you have done, all the call you have made, and all of the time that you have invested in this. :oops: I did not mean to imply that any of this was your fault. In my past experiences, not all DMV employees understand what the different types of military vehicles are. I never intended to tick you or anyone else off. I just tried to express a potential reason for the confusion.

Last edited:

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sorry I implied that you stormed in to the DMV or tore anyone apart over the phone. I respect the work that you've put into this issue, for the betterment of our small, tight knit community. Life is too short to hold grudges. I don't want any bad blood between us.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW FFC of the MVPA worked pretty hard to get the FL MV laws passed as they are.I doubt that they will stand by if there is something brewing. They have lots of members with registered Jeeps driving about.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe you should go to a different tag office and just transfer the title. If they ask if you want to register it, tell them no.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ray - Please read my post, #25. Apparently, that suggestion didn't sit too well with him. Please also read post #31. He's not a happy camper.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did read it Mark. Just because someone doesn't like your advice does not make it bad advice.

Considering I had to do this on one occasion for something not related to FMVs it is sound advice.

phil2968

I have been following this thread and want to clear up a few things that have been posted. Titles in the state of Florida do not specify if a vehicle is former military. My M1009 is simply a 1984 Chevy Blazer. My 1966 M109 is titled as a Kaiser Jeep. My 1970 M35 is titled as a AM General. No mention of FMV on any title.
Tags however are a different matter. You have 2 general options in Florida. A regular tag or a permanent tag. The regular tag gets renewed every year and can be purchased locally. The permanent tag can only be purchased through the mail from Tallahassee by following the instructions on the DMV website. It requires you to submit an affidavit saying that it is a FMV. It has restrictions on use.
Again, titling a FMV is just like getting a title for any other vehicle.
The process described in this thread by the OP was made way more complex than needed to be. Just my experience in titling and tagging my MV's in Florida.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks