• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heads Up Florida! New DMV definition coming!

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been following this thread and want to clear up a few things that have been posted. Titles in the state of Florida do not specify if a vehicle is former military. My M1009 is simply a 1984 Chevy Blazer. My 1966 M109 is titled as a Kaiser Jeep. My 1970 M35 is titled as a AM General. No mention of FMV on any title.
Tags however are a different matter. You have 2 general options in Florida. A regular tag or a permanent tag. The regular tag gets renewed every year and can be purchased locally. The permanent tag can only be purchased through the mail from Tallahassee by following the instructions on the DMV website. It requires you to submit an affidavit saying that it is a FMV. It has restrictions on use.
Again, titling a FMV is just like getting a title for any other vehicle.
The process described in this thread by the OP was made way more complex than needed to be. Just my experience in titling and tagging my MV's in Florida.
You said that right.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just don't mention it's a military vehicle. I'm going through this as we speak. I am trying to get a tag for a M925A2 ROPS. The DMV doesn't know their butt from a hole in the ground. I was told three times I could not tag this vehicle. Then I found this:

http://www.flmvpa.org/fldmv.pdf

I've also got my state legislator Halsey Beshears involved. He is sympathetic to our cause and hopefully going to introduce a bill to prevent this BS from occurring in the future. After sharing the document above with my Tax Collector, the last communication I had with him was they are going to issue the tag, but are still undecided as the classification. It has been a real PITA. Also, Florida will not tag a Humvee due to the federal Form 97 designation of Off Road Use only. Hopefully Mr. Beshears legislation will address this as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks