• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heater

73X

Heater- Last set of pics up

Finally decided to mount my heater and arctic cover. Winter is here and I wanted to be warm. Let me know what you think. I am using this heater with a few mods for mounting.

Jeep Heater - Army Surplus Warehouse - Army Surplus Warehouse

L100J4R0E Ohmite Power Resistors Wire Wound

DPDT 10-Amp Toggle Switch with Center Off Position. - RadioShack.com

12VDC Toggle Switch with Safety Cover - RadioShack.com

The second link is to the company I got my resistor from. Obviously you can get them wherever you want.
The third and fourth links are the switch with cover I just wanted the cover and the last one is the switch I used.

Even today with temps in the low thirties and 35 mph sustained winds it kept the cab quite warm. I was wearing only a tee shirt and bluejeans and was quite comfortable. I have it hooked to a single pole three position toggle switch. I used a 100 watt 4 ohm resistor mounted on a 1/2x4x4 piece of aluminum as a heat sink for the resistor on one location of the switch for low speed which gives me 14 volts and seems to work well. position two is full voltage and position three is off.

Attachments

Last edited:

AceHigh

Man, you have been busy! I put the same one under the passenger seat and ran the hoses under the cab. No defroster but I really don't drive much in the winter.

Yours looks great.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recirculating the heat rather than heating up outside air will make your 20,000 BTU heater work better than a 30,000 BTU unit. My humble opinion, those M151 heaters are the best bargain going for deuce hot water heaters. One would only need one diverter valve to also supply heated air to the defroster duct on the drivers side and the install would be complete and perfect. I like it!

73X

I am actually surprised at how well with the elbow angled down slightly the air circulates under the seat up the back and down the windshield. So far I am happy. Thanks to all for your comments.

73X

Afterburners and the GE turbofan hidden in the back.:wink:

Seriously the left one is the heater and the right one is for the back-up lights. I was fortunate enough to have had holes in the dash I was able to use.

Last edited:

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
heater

Nice set-up, i also have one of those mounted under the glove box in my truck. I have a couple questions please:
1. do you need to have a resistor to run a high/low switch?
2. what kind of switch can you run...does it need to be 24 volt? Or does it matter?

Thanks, David

Attachments

73X

Yes you will need a resistor to vary the speed. A 100 watt 4 ohm resistor wired to one side of a single pole two position toggle switch will give approximately 14 volts hence a low speed. Most any toggle switch rated for 12 volts and 10 amps will work fine as when you step up in voltage your amperage goes down.
You will need to mount the resistor where it can dissipate its heat without burning anything or anyone. If I can help at all PM me for my phone number and I will assist however possible.
Ron

Last edited:

73X

I updated the post today with some links as to where my parts came from based on the amount of private messages I received. I hope it helps and feel free to ask any questions. I will answer as best as possible.

Last edited:

73X

Temps today are in the teens - 18 was the high which is way behind us now and the wind is 30 mph steady with gusts up to 45 mph and so far I am staying warm.

Last edited:

agood1

I also used one of these heaters mounted under the passenger seat and setup a high/low switch. I bought a "T" handle cable and installed it with a VW heater valve. So all I have to do is pull the cable, it opens the water flow and turn on the fan. When summer comes back, I just keep the cable pushed in and no water flow to the heater will help keep the extra heat out of the cab....I'm hoping to use just the fan in the summer to help keep cool.

I have it mounted so it blows across the floor and then the heat rises under the dash. I have not tested it yet, but hope it will provide some defogging.

Wintermute

Well, I've got a couple questions for you. Do you think this would hookup just the same in an M715? And is there a way to get it setup to defrost the window? :D

--Wintermute

73X

Thanks Ron, the links are just what I needed. !

David
Not a problem - glad it helped. I'm working on a schematic and will get it posted as soon as possible.

I also used one of these heaters mounted under the passenger seat and setup a high/low switch. I bought a "T" handle cable and installed it with a VW heater valve. So all I have to do is pull the cable, it opens the water flow and turn on the fan. When summer comes back, I just keep the cable pushed in and no water flow to the heater will help keep the extra heat out of the cab....I'm hoping to use just the fan in the summer to help keep cool.

I have it mounted so it blows across the floor and then the heat rises under the dash. I have not tested it yet, but hope it will provide some defogging.
Yeah, I put in 2 ball valves to stop the coolant flow - I was hoping for the same effect. I'm not sure the defrosting will work. Keep me updated - good luck!

73X - nice install of your heater system - do not miss those Mich winters one bit.
I love the winter here - I'm happy when it's snowing and cold!

Why would you need a heater in MI are you cold natured or something ?????????........... Just kidding looks like a nice clean install
Yeah, it's not really cold here. Haha. Thanks for the good word.

I have a buddy who does heating & cooling and he put a laser thermometer on it and it read 115 degrees on the output and was keeping the cab about about 78. It was too warm for me but it's probably the only way I'll get anyone else to get in it this winter . . . So, for me, I'd call it a success. Hope it helps someone else, too!