• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heater

hardtime

thanks 73x, looks great. I have a m814 with no heat. wondering if that would work in a 5-ton. I like the diesel heaters but way out of my $ range

73X

thanks 73x, looks great. I have a m814 with no heat. wondering if that would work in a 5-ton. I like the diesel heaters but way out of my $ range
I don't see why one could not be adapted to a 5-ton similar layout as the deuce. Some of the things I didn't like about the diesel heater are probably the same as yours.
Complexity of finding all of the correct parts that can be afforded,
The fact that they take up more room and lastly hot engine coolant is otherwise wasted and is now being used.
Two 1/2 ball valves a few fittings and 15 feet of heater hose with clamps was all I needed to get mine hooked to the engine. One wire tap a resistor and a switch was all I needed to get it running with heat and then a 3" 45 degree pvc street ELL was all I needed to get flow of heat directed. My total cost for all parts and heater was only $115.

saddamsnightmare

11th December 2009.

BRILLIANT!

Where can we come up with a splitter and two diverter valves for this critter, plus get another speed or two on the fan? Also, where can we find the hook up sheet metal that goes on the drivers side defroster hole above the side vent????:?:
It would be a stroke of genius to be able to cut off heat to the passenger side AND/or the defrosters as needed, because sometimes you don't have a passenger whose feet need to be warmed, and sometimes you don't need the defrosters blowing in your face either. The Swiss Unimog has an excellent heater and defroster, but the options are fan on-fan off, and if you want to turn the heater off there's two valves under the hood that need addressed (or at least 1 of them) but at least you got heat! Gotta love Mercedes Benz engineering because they know winter happens more often then not....!:-D

Its time to cook up a whole system for the deuce....

Cheers,
Kyle F. McGrogan

hardtime

Great, Thanks so much. So this heater core/ fan housing is called a m-151 and it has a fresh air intake?
Where would you tap in on the nhc 250 for hot juice, and where can i buy one?
Also I used to work at a truck shop in Alaska, and we installed generic heater core / fan units behind the drivers seat to help stave off those balmy winters. Is this m-151 the of the same principle with of course exception to fresh air intake?

73X

That is exactly how mine is plumbed. It works extremely well I am very happy. The biggest thing is to seal up as many of the holes around the truck as possible.

Jake0147

11th December 2009.

Where can we come up with a splitter and two diverter valves for this critter, plus get another speed or two on the fan? Also, where can we find the hook up sheet metal that goes on the drivers side defroster hole above the side vent????..

Cheers,
Kyle F. McGrogan

Get the whole M151 kit instead of just the heater. You'll use most of it, you'll have a couple of parts left over, you'll have to add some (or all) of the ducting, and the fresh air feature will not work. (You'll not miss it, even recirculating you get more fresh air than modern vehicles on "recirculate".
It's very "custom", but everything that is not in a very small hardware store is included in the kit.

jfnemt1ff1

Just had a brain storm (that dont happen to offen). Use that heater along with the fuel fired heater for the engine coolant. That way to start an cold engine go out fire up the fuel heater, then when go come back to start the truck it will start easy and have heat in the cab. With the temps staying around 7deg I am not likeing how hard it is to start. This should save ware and tear on the engine and starter.
John

73X

I try not to brain storm it gives me a headache. Anyhow I love the idea I wonder how hard it will be to find the incorporate the parts to make a working unit. I definitely wouldn't mind trying to do it. Let the search for parts begin.

73X

Well here are the last of the pics. I finally figured out through trial and error where I wanted to and how I wanted to mount the resistor. It was all hardware parts and less than four dollars. Let me know what you think or if you have any questions. Oh and yes I do have a high and low that work. And the difference is quite noticeable. :-D

Attachments

Last edited:

jfnemt1ff1

I try not to brain storm it gives me a headache. Anyhow I love the idea I wonder how hard it will be to find the incorporate the parts to make a working unit. I definitely wouldn't mind trying to do it. Let the search for parts begin.
After the first of the year will be the first time I have to work on my truck. I plan on using your posts fot the in the cab heater,and take pics of the engine coolant heater. I think it should not be that hard but who knows will keep you up to date.
John

73X

Just a short video to illustrate the difference in fan speeds from low to high. Sorry for the crappy video it was done with my phone. The whole project is done and working so I will stop driving everyone nuts with my posting. Seriously I want to thank everyone for all of the ideas and suggestions they are appreciated. Ron

Attachments

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks!

Thanks for all the info...but could you write a wire diagram for those of us who are SLOW....ME :-D Just show how to run the heater/resistor/switch ect...

David