• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heath's M35A2... the beginning

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heath,
I was having that issue when going from 5th to 4th on mine. Just couldn't ever do it.
I had a few others trucks, and every one I've ever driven shifts differently!
I would guess all freshly built ones shift the same, nicely.
I learned that I had the shifter 'off to one side' so to speak, on that truck going down into fourth you had to hold the lateral shifter handle play to one side as you down shifted as well as a lighter hand on the motion.

Broke Down

Congratulations! She looks a tad run down BUT that gives you the chance to put your own personal taste on it. The best part is that you got one, now to get us some more pictures to see your progress!!!

Heath_h49008

Will do.

I have to wait for computer parts from UPS before running some errands and heading out to work on her.

By the way, I'm heading back to Copemish on Sunday with a couple Taurus's to pick up a dog someone dumped off at Dennis's place. (A really sweet tan lab bitch that matched the tan truck. I figure they both need some TLC and it would be a shame to break up the pair. :wink:) If anyone in South West Michigan needs small stuff from Dennis, I'll be happy to bring them down.

And yes, I will take picture of Dennis's massive line of trucks as well as the pup.

Heath_h49008

Well, I have had a few days to work on her, and she is doing better.

I'm going to post these pictures of the fuel line that runs from the primary, to the high pressure pump... This is one reason I would advise anyone troubleshooting a slow deuce to pull the insulators first.

Attachments

Heath_h49008

Oh yeah... the new addition to the family.

She was dumped off at Dennis' ranch and took to guarding the trucks. She was about the sweetest dog I have ever run across and Dennis said "...if you want her she's yours." She was skittish as all get out and it was a bit of a challenge even getting close to her. (Food helped) And even though she was starving, she never offered to nip or be aggressive in any way when we hand fed her.

This was her on the trip home resting her head between the seats on the armrest. Both Melinda (My GF) and I are "Animal people" and she seemed to trust us. You know what they say... you don't pick the animal, they pick you. Well, she decided we were the ones who were supposed to take care of her.

Attachments

Marcel

Good save Heath. New truck and new pup. What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.

Heath_h49008

Ok... well, the dog made it home in one piece and has since adopted my mother as her new person to guard. She's half starved, jumps at any sudden noise or movement, but is eating well and according to the vet going to be A-OK.

The truck was another story... Dirtier than the dog after a 160 mile recovery and a blown fuel line I decided to clean the engine with dollar store oven cleaner and a pressure washer. This is the first layer before, during and after.

Attachments

Heath_h49008

Good save Heath. New truck and new pup. What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
Thank you.

I'm a sucker for a hard luck case. The dog had been through a very rough patch and never went bad. You have to respect that kind of tough. She even gets to hang out with her truck again. :p

Heath_h49008

Hey man, Just cought the You tube Viedo.:D She sounds like a strong runner. Is the plan for a new shirt..? If so are you going green or desert tan..?[thumbzup]

:popcorn::popcorn:

IGD
Actually, none of the above. :whistle:

I'm leaning toward two shades of grey and one of spruce green with a "Dazzle"/Urban pattern. I'm trying to find a pattern I like.... maybe a bit of counter-shading for color/depth effect and road to roadside effect when seen from above.

Did you see this?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_cl0hNSF6k&feature=g-upl[/media]

She's going to get blasted, phosphate-ed, primed, and painted as fast as I can manage. (After the electrical/mechanical issues are sorted of course)

My delay at this point is time for work and school, and money since my daily driver decided to lunch a waterpump, hub, tire, and A/C compressor within the last week and a half.aua

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right on, Wear a good face shield. The silica sand goes every where, I'm talking from experience. I'm subscribed..:popcorn::popcorn:

Heath_h49008

Got the primary to pump 1/2 copper line patched. I ran her for a few minutes to let her warm up and so I could verify the new lines/fittings are holding. (They are.)

I'm a bit curious about that "LDS465 1C" injection pump/HH assembly sitting on this truck. Anyone familiar with the specs on this vs the stock LDT465 pump?

Oh, I also found a slight issue with my turn signals might be related to the GIANT SPARKS flying out from the socket/wiring harness. If all 24v loose contacts arc like this, tracking shorts should be a cakewalk!

Next on the agenda... finish the hub assembly swap on the daily driver, find a cheaper source for blasting sand in 30/60 mesh than $11/80lbs if I can, and grab the GL1 bucket and the Rotella bucket and some paint filters so I can change the oil and the trans+transfer-case+ all 3 diffs in one shot.

Next day off... unknown. :doh:

Heath_h49008

One interesting thing.... as you guys can see from the pics, the paint is peeling in a massive way all the way down the the pre-1972 era semi-gloss green with white numbers and the big star on the door.

The layer that is separating is black.... not black as in a little in sections to be a portion of a 3 color camo job... ALL BLACK. This seems to be in an even layer right on top of the "Original" Vietnam era green and whatever paint they used isn't sticking anymore.

Why would someone paint this truck all black with cheap paint and no prep between 1970 and 1972?

Heath_h49008

I highly doubt that... but it's older that I am so I suppose anything is possible.

Did they ever "black-out" trucks in country during Vietnam for night cargo runs?

Heath_h49008

Congratulations! You've waited a long time. It sounds like the guy in Copemish is good people. You are gonna have a blast. You must not be far from me. Maybe I'll see you around somewhere.

We will have to cruise Westnedge one of these Friday/Saturday nights when the kids have the rice burners out. I think a couple of M35s might stand out in the crowd. :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks