• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from CT, M831A Question

Michael Morgan

not sure what they mean by everything straightened out?
I could not get a straight answer from them at all and they would not refund due to listing it wrong. Can I ask what you plan on using it for? It’s 50hertz and I would be afraid of screwing up circuit boards and such.
I have a few other 831’s so it’s not a big deal to swap around the inverters. I plan on keeping it as a 50hz unit unless one of my other 831’s engine dies. I was worth it to me to deal with the 50hz inverter in order to get a brand new unit. Plus, my house requires a minimum of an 803 to run every circuit. The 831’s are for the job sight. Like Guyfang has stated. The 50hz unit will do what I need it to do in a pinch. It’s also very rare. I have no regrets regarding the purchase. Happy Holidays to all.

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most equipment can actually be operated on both frequencies, if you can live with the necessary derating factors. Back when I used to do real work, I frequently had to deal with different frequency equipment as well as variable frequency equipment. It was interesting while working in different parts of the world (the rest of the world is 50Hz), and the US vendor failed to read the spec, and shiped 60 Hz equipment; We had to make it work. Some Japanese motor manufacturers are actually assigning dual ratings to motors for 50 and 60 Hz, by assigning two RPM/HP ratings on the name plate. Operating 60 Hz equipment on 50 HZ is easier than going the other way, especially on motors, due to the increased load by running the motor faster.

For what it's worth, I attached a writeup on the effect of different frequencies on different motors. This was sent to me a long time ago, so I don't have any info on the original writer of this work.

Attachments

Scoobyshep

Electronics dont care about frequency (mostly)some things get angry with timing. Motors will run slower,

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
Soldiers delt with this problem long before most people even knew that there was a difference. In the early 70's, when I came to Germany, everyone had enough transformers to sink a battleship. Everyone brought 60 hertz/120 "things" to Germany with them. And about then, the PX started to have the very first 50/60 hertz stereo gear. It took a long time for the milatary system to figure that out. AND still, in the PX here, is a large amount of 120 volt, 60 hertz gear. The way the military "fixed" the problem was to install both 220 volt, 50 hertz AND 120 volt, 60 hertz in almost every building on post.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks