• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello From Mississippi

superstewie

I cam to this subforum to read the rules, but there wasn't a thread about rules. Hmmm. So I guess I'll just follow the crowd and say hey. I don't own a military vehicle and I won't for a while. I'm just a college student with no money right now or any time within the next half decade. I do love these old trucks though, I've even been able to a teardown of a 3116 on an m35a3 that one of my buddies got (I'm a heavy equipment mechanic). I'll get one eventually, but until then I'll just be lurking around the forum dreamin about trucks.

AZK9

Welcome from Arizona! [thumbzup]

With your interest in MVs and understanding of mechanics... you'll love this site!

FloridaAKM

Welcome from Florida, you may be young & broke right now, but with your heavy equipment mechanic experience may get you a truck just by helping the right person get theirs running. Good luck & keep your eye out for the one you want one day!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cam to this subforum to read the rules, but there wasn't a thread about rules. Hmmm. So I guess I'll just follow the crowd and say hey. I don't own a military vehicle and I won't for a while. I'm just a college student with no money right now or any time within the next half decade. I do love these old trucks though, I've even been able to a teardown of a 3116 on an m35a3 that one of my buddies got (I'm a heavy equipment mechanic). I'll get one eventually, but until then I'll just be lurking around the forum dreamin about trucks.
Welcome from michigan. The Rules are on the top toolbar , but here is the link ;
Forum rules

superstewie

Welcome from PA. With your mechanical skills, a military vehicle in need of work and or restoration might be more affordable than you think.
Ive been thinking about a 939 series truck. Like an m923. I found a couple and they are relatively inexpensive. I will never but another pickup truck. That said, there's just one problem: I have 0 dollars and that's not gonna grow anytime son I don't think lol.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget Memphis Equipment is right in your back yard. That may be a good place to hang out and gain some information. Shoot, they may even be hiring mechanics at some point!

I just met another member this week from Hernando who just acquired a HMMWV. You may see him running around town soon from the sounds of it!

71DeuceAK

Welcome to the site! As an entering college student myself, I can sympathize and feel your pain. Best of luck! If you have space, a currently-non-runner/project/lawn ornament truck might be a good bet since it sounds like you're definitely mechanically inclined.

Think it would be a daily driver?

superstewie

Think it would be a daily driver?
I'm considering it. Since finding this site I've started looking for work, like actually looking really hard. I've considered the idea that I could use it as a "daily driver" when I go places that aren't heavy in traffic, which is most of the places I go. Think that would be a good idea?

71DeuceAK

Personally I see no reason why not as long as you're qualified to handle the truck. In my case when I get one it will probably be my first vehicle anyway, so of course it would go everywhere I went. Including probably parking it on campus, no joke.

dmetalmiki

HA! BUT..there IS a "rule" ...(lightly said) "get yer'self a Truck..and (really) enjoy the fellowship of like minded members .
Welcome to the site, the hobby and eventual events to come.

superstewie

dmetalmiki I can't thank you enough for commenting. I've been trying to figure out what truck my grandfather drove in Germany in 60-62. All he could remember was 5 ton tractor. Turns out, it was an M52A1 (he said it was diesel only). I've been searching for two weeks to find a picture of it that he could identify, and I was only able to find the model (accidentally) because I was looking up the vehicles in your signature on olive-drab. Thank you so much.