• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help... 1008 and 1009 keep SNAPPING off starter studs!!!

bruno_rs

hey guys, i'm new the site and cucv's. let me start by saying i'm not a mechanic... well , backyard... kinda sorta. that being said, last year i purchased a 1008 and 1009. both have snapped the starter mount bolts off in the block... the 1009 did it twice. i had a friend who is a chevy mechanic repair it initially and then by an auto electrician, just last week. does anyone know the correct starter for the cucv's , its' part #, where to get these starters and what it should cost? moreover, is there a special procedure and/or kit to PROPERLY install the cucv starters?... i don't want to keep going thru this disaster time after time. is this a reoccurring problem you all hear alot of? lastly, i need glow plugs... both trucks will not start (cold) without ether. where should i go to purchase the right and/or best glow plugs for the (6.2) 1008 & 1009? what should a set of glow plugs set me back? you all seem to know these trucks inside and out therefore, i figured i'd cut to the chase and ask the REAL pros. looking forward to you responses. thanks guys, have a good one.

acetomatoco

Early ones had shim type starters, later, no shims, it will say no shim on the nose of a no shim starter. Use new bolts each time you mount a starter. Check em often for mounting torque as the bolts stretch and be sure to use the SUPPORT BRACKET to the block on the front of the starter...lots of folks leave that off and then the mounting bolts break...Early Starter 10496887 84-85...later one 86-87 19497166 GM Reman. The OEM new ones were 1998454 and 1113591 respectively. bolt, starter motor 15544950 10 x 1.5 x 9.8 Brace 14028931. Mounting torque specs will be found in your TM 9-2320-289-20 or 34. Stay away from the ether...the glow plugs do not like it..nor does the engine over time.. Search the archives here for Glow Plug and Module and resistor and relay information as there are pages and pages and pages of help for the newbies and oldies alike.

bruno_rs

Re: RE: help... 1008 and 1009 keep SNAPPING off starter stud

acetomatoco said:
Early ones had shim type starters, later, no shims, it will say no shim on the nose of a no shim starter. Use new bolts each time you mount a starter. Check em often for mounting torque as the bolts stretch and be sure to use the SUPPORT BRACKET to the block on the front of the starter...lots of folks leave that off and then the mounting bolts break...Early Starter 10496887 84-85...later one 86-87 19497166 GM Reman. The OEM new ones were 1998454 and 1113591 respectively. bolt, starter motor 15544950 10 x 1.5 x 9.8 Brace 14028931. Mounting torque specs will be found in your TM 9-2320-289-20 or 34. Stay away from the ether...the glow plugs do not like it..nor does the engine over time.. Search the archives here for Glow Plug and Module and resistor and relay information as there are pages and pages and pages of help for the newbies and oldies alike.
thanks ace, very detailed and informative. using ether to start the truck just began... i had a short last week and fried a few wires. just got it back from the (auto electric) shop and i'm sure what " little" glow plug i had, is history too. until i get the plugs, i can't start it w/o ether. do you recommend any specifically? do you think the relays may be fried too? thanks, have a good one.

rottiedog

RE: Help M1008 and M1009

I was working on the same thing today. The bolt closer to the block was snapped and had to easy-out the rest. What bracket goes on the front? Not one on mine which might explain the bolt. Starter looks new.

mangus580

RE: Help M1008 and M1009

The Bracket that Ace talks of is the KEY to snapping starter bolts.

Glow plugs should REALLY be the wellman 070 plugs. The are the only PROPER plugs for the CUCV system.

Look on ebay for 'CUCV Glow Plug' and you will find the best source for them.

bruno_rs

Re: RE: Help M1008 and M1009

mangus580 said:

Glow plugs should REALLY be the wellman 070 plugs. The are the only PROPER plugs for the CUCV system.

magnus, thanks for your reply. where is the (starter) bracket available? is the best bet (used) thru ebay or maybe ss... or new thru a dealer? when reinstalling the starter, is it ok and/or suggested to use loctite on the bolts? thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

mangus580

RE: Re: RE: Help M1008 and M1009

I think they can still be had via the dealer. I imagine a crafty person could just make one too. The idea is to support both ends fo the starter.

bruno_rs

Re: RE: Re: RE: Help M1008 and M1009

mangus580 said:
I think they can still be had via the dealer. I imagine a crafty person could just make one too. The idea is to support both ends fo the starter.
mike, was this bracket also on NON military 6.2's or just the cucv's? i was told the starters are completely differnet because of the 24 volt system.

Jake0147

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Help M1008 and M1009

Civilian 6.2 and 6.5 motors do use a similar bracket on the starter, I'm not sure if it is identical. The Chevy garage can't find them, but we get them in a genuine GM package through the Workhorse dealer for the post office trucks.

mangus580

bruno_rs said:
mangus580 said:
mike, was this bracket also on NON military 6.2's or just the cucv's? i was told the starters are completely differnet because of the 24 volt system.
Yes..... a similia one was even usedon the gas engines too....

bruno_rs

mangus580 said:
bruno_rs said:
mangus580 said:
Yes..... a similia one was even usedon the gas engines too....
a buddy of mine was telling me he had a similar problem (chewing up starters and bolts) in his big block 454. said his problem was the starter needed to be shimmed (just right) and braced. mike, i just picked up 2 sets of wellman glow plugs on ebay. thanks to you and all the guys, i really appreciate the help. i got answers to questions and advice others could'nt help with and/or have left me "hanging" for days, in a matter of (a couple) hours here. like i said earlier... go to the REAL pros when you need (corrrect/quality) answers fast!!! thanks again, have a good one.

Croatan_Kid

Is your glow plug controller actually working? I thought mine was because I could get it to start at 30 degrees, but they weren't because the voltmeter never moved. It was then that I rigged up a manual controller button. Works great now.

bruno_rs

Croatan_Kid said:
Is your glow plug controller actually working? I thought mine was because I could get it to start at 30 degrees, but they weren't because the voltmeter never moved. It was then that I rigged up a manual controller button. Works great now.
hey kid, the truck didn't start too easy in the cold before my "wiring issue" but now, it won't start at all, no matter how long i crank it... spray in some ether and boom... contact!. at this point, if the glow plugs may have needed replacement (before the short) they must need em now. i read somewhere (on ss) if there was an "issue" with a relay the plugs would most likely "toast" with it. thanks for your reply though, i'm going to do the same and install a manaul controller button on the dash. hope all is well... have a good one.

surpdlr

Re: RE: Help M1008 and M1009

mangus580 said:

Interesting, I always thought the 34p listed the correct GM part number, 5613939, which is NSN 2920-01-151-3627. Below is what the Government lists as part numbers for that NSN.

You are correct that 070 is the end of the Wellman part number, and Wellman supplied a lot of the aftermarket glow plugs for the CUCV and HUMV vehicles, But AC Delco 13G is the Correct AC Delco part number for the CUCV glow plug, per the 34P manual.

Attachments

mangus580

RE: Re: RE: Help M1008 and M1009

Thank you Jeff, this is the first 'proof' I have seen of it.

From what I understand though, the Wellman 070 is a NON-swelling glow plug, and the 13g is not. I could be wrong, but this is what I have seen in my travels. This is why I lean towards the 070.

surpdlr

mangus580 said:

From what I understand though, the Wellman 070 is a NON-swelling glow plug, and the 13g is not. I could be wrong, but this is what I have seen in my travels. This is why I lean towards the 070.
If the Wellman 070 is non swelling they changed somewhere along the line. The surplus ones that came out it mid 90's would swell when the died!!! (I know this first hand).

As of DEC 2004 Wellman isn’t even supplying the Government, It is SHARES INC, also from Shelbyville IN, with a different address to Wellman. I vaguely remember something a few years ago about Wellman going out of business, or reorganizing.....

bruno_rs

surpdlr said:
mangus580 said:

If the Wellman 070 is non swelling they changed somewhere along the line. The surplus ones that came out it mid 90's would swell when the died!!! (I know this first hand).

As of DEC 2004 Wellman isn’t even supplying the Government, It is SHARES INC, also from Shelbyville IN, with a different address to Wellman. I vaguely remember something a few years ago about Wellman going out of business, or reorganizing.....
surpdlr, according to indusadist.com (distributor on ebay) wellman automotive products (wap) manufacture these plugs. according to their description, they claim it is a no swell plug. i'm hoping these will work for my trucks... i just ordered 2 sets. where did you get the parts list you referenced... i'd like to get one my self. thanks, have a good one.

surpdlr

bruno_rs

surpdlr said:
bruno_rs said:
surpdlr,
Where did you get the parts list you referenced... i'd like to get one my self. thanks, have a good one.
It is a part of the BIG Money I spend as a dealer to use such sites as http://www.ilsmart.com/next

But it comes from the MCRL, from the government. You can find that in a lot of places, such as this one that I have posted a link to in the past: https://www.webflis.dlis.dla.mil/WEBFLIS/pub/pub_search.aspx
surpdlr, thanks for the links... should have figured, from your screen name, you might be a dealer... threw me for a loop when you posted a page of numbers as replacements. do you know which is the best plug for the money? very cool ride... what is it? thanks, have a good one.

surpdlr

bruno_rs said:
surpdlr said:
bruno_rs said:
surpdlr,
Where did you get the parts list you referenced... i'd like to get one my self. thanks, have a good one.
It is a part of the BIG Money I spend as a dealer to use such sites as http://www.ilsmart.com/next

But it comes from the MCRL, from the government. You can find that in a lot of places, such as this one that I have posted a link to in the past: https://www.webflis.dlis.dla.mil/WEBFLIS/pub/pub_search.aspx
surpdlr, thanks for the links... should have figured, from your screen name, you might be a dealer... threw me for a loop when you posted a page of numbers as replacements. do you know which is the best plug for the money? very cool ride... what is it? thanks, have a good one.
I would hope they are all equally good......

The "Ride" is an M29C WWII weasel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks