• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP! HIAB question (CRANETRUCK)

scooter01922

That engine isn't even close to stripped yet :shock: I still see the air compressor, water pump, and heads. Then again i don't know if its been sitting topless out in the weather like that so the heads and rest might be scrap afterall. Any chance you spotted a dipstick in the pile of parts with that engine?? Believe ethan had said there were a few kicking around somewhere. Would be nice to check the oil without needing vicegrips :)

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Bjorn,

It is too late for me to check for the extension you wrote about. You will have to ask Justin, who took off about 22:00 (after supper with us) with the HIAB in his trailer. I think a manual extension is inside a larger hydraulic extension. The lifting fork looking like it was designed to lift cylinders is definitely not here.

The HIAB is pretty amazing. It can lift 1500 lbs when extended 30 feet. It can reach in any direction, even over the cab. Justin will put it on a 4-wheel deuce, bobbed to enable a smaller turning radius in difficult conditions.

Hi Kenny, Do you really want the engine box bottom? There is no top. Write me about this and you can have it. Oltherwise it will become scrap steel.

Hi Mark. Do you think I should take off the water pump? Ethan has a spare air compressor. Does anyone want this one?

Robert

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robert, even if it were a complete can, it would be to cost prohibitive for me to come get. Maybe another member could toss you a few dollars for it, they are great to start engines in!

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Scooter (?),

I found a rusty dipstick in the motor box!!! I will take it back with us to Massachusetts, and get it to you somehow. Then you won't have to use your vicegrip to check your oil level.

Robert

scooter01922

Excellent news, its scott by the way :) no rush in getting that to me. I'm working on getting you some pics of that pesky harness for the ether start system as another member has graciously offered to get me some pics as well as the install manual complete with parts breakdown. Hope to have that on the way to you soon. As far as the water pump and compressor goes, i really have no idea how often either fail but i hate to see any salvagable part head to the scrapper to make tin cans. In no way trying to keep you from cleaning up while you are in VA. I know you must have a time limit before you have to head back up here.

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will take your advice and save the water pump Scott. Ethan has an air compressor that looks far better than what is on the partial engine, but I don't see a spare water pump.

wehring

Wow what a GREAT trip!!!!

Amanda and I got back at 6am CST today and slept most of the day! Lots of stops along the way and most were centered around somthing OD.

Our first SS stop was to see Bjorn and Linnea. The 15 mile drive on the last leg of road to their home was by far the most beautiful of the trip. We went across the Blue Ridge mountains and the colors were amazing. Much different than South Texas. I was overly ambitious with the daily sched and did not make it to see him until late in the afternoon... should have been there at 9a. Still had a great visit and was "trumped" twice for a chuckle. I took him some NASA switch protectors for his time. These Tres Chic protectors are rare as hens teeth and I thought I was adding to his top shelf toy box... :eek:) he thanked me then said that they were cute as he was with MD aerospace for quite some time. Trump one. Then when we lost ambient light so I ran to the truck to get my "very powerful" led light to help us look at his crane. I returned to find that the sun had risen in his back yard. The glimmer of the blinding light could be seen reflecting from his Cheshire Cat grin. Two rear facing spot lights on his crane truck. Trump two... A week of visiting would not break the surface of his OD knowledge. Truly a treat.

Robert and Mary... it is hard to capture how Amanda and I feel about them in this brief post but here it goes. All I can say is that we look forward to many years of true friendship. Over a meal it was mentioned that through a terrible loss; new friends were gained. By the end of the first night it felt as though we had known each other for years. We left the trailer behind and left for DC to return to another great visit before heading on. They are the kind of people that you would like to have as family or next door neighbors.

Allan in Gainesville took my crane idea fire and tossed a bucket of gas on it. He used extra frame pieces to make a lift kit for his 52" tires. He made a comment that he would simply double frame if he were to do it again. The more I think of the strength benefits of a second frame the more I like it. I have 46" 395 Michelins so I will omit the trailer frame section on the bobbed deuce to keep the cab and bed aligned and will put a second bobbed frame under the first. Very strong... Hurricane relief ready.

It is 10pm now so I will close for tonight. I will post more on the trip tomorrow. Thanks to all!!! Amanda and I thank each of you for your hospitality and time.

Justin and Amanda Wehring

wehring

Another quick post for tonight....

One more post for tonight.

On our trip we found two M35A3 wheels for sale in GA!!!! If anyone is interested they are also available with as new 14.5 tires. Please contact me and I will put you in touch with the seller.

Justin
281 483 8422
justin.wehring-1 @ nasa.gov

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Another quick post for tonight....

If I didn't just buy 6 of them, I'd be all over the two! Glad you made it back and congrats.

55Cameo

Glad that you made it back safe. It was great to meet ya'll and talk for the brief time that we did. Hopefully you saw everytihing you had questions about on the steering. Take plenty of pics of the Deuce in progress and post regularly. Allan.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you guys made it home alright.
I didn't get a response on the hydraulic outriggers, were they included? They are important, you did ask about operating the crane without them during the little demo here, but we didn't go much further.
Thank you again for the switch guards, they will be used, sort of go with the xm757 truck, with all its other advanced features from the sixties....

wehring

Got 'em!

The outriggers and boom extension were in the pile. I was able to account for all parts except the hook (like yours) which I thought was interesting.

Justin

wehring

Thanks for the info..

I am going to mount the base this weekend to calculate the needed shift of the rear axle to recenter it on the wheel well on the trailer bed. I have some 1/2" plate to cut for the new top plate where the old one is cracked.

The booms are being sand blasted and the rams are waiting to be delivered for a rebuild estimate.

I KNOW>>> I KNOW>>>> PICTURES! They will be taken and posted on Monday.

Justin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks