• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help me buy this deuce, problem ?

ccf460

Help me buy this deuce, problem ?PICs up..BOUGHT IT TODAY!!

I looked at a 1952 M35A2 today, it has the hercules engine with the D turbo, while driving the engine would sometimes hesitate on constant throttle ( like someone turning a light switch off and then on,very quickly), and a couple of times it died while coasting up to a stop ( clutch pushed in). The injection pump is very wet with diesel, and the strainer in the tank has some weird whitish sludge on it. The seller thinks the running problems are a product of the fuel being contaminated with water. I am wanting to know what your opinions tell me, I am worried that the IP is going out.The truck says 44k and 400 hours, seller thinks it was refurb'd by the gov't and they only changed the hour meter. It has 14.00 michelins, seems to be in good shape, he wants 4k for it.

EDIT, July 3rd
Picked it up today, it ran perfect the 10 miles to the fire station. Tomorrow my 3 fuel and 2 oil filters (all WIX) are coming from oreilley's and we will flush the yelloish pond water looking fuel out of the system. I love this beast already.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I guess its a bobbed truck?
Its not worth that if he doesn't fix the fuel issue.
Make sure there is a title or walk.

DeucesWild11

Did you try and drain out a little fuel out of the primary fuel filter? Mine drove OK but after reading up on the deuce I decided to drain the filters. Here is what came out... a bunch of rusty water mixed with diesel fuel. Read up on the TM's Specifically the PSMultifuelOperators.pdf , this one is at the bottom of the TM list for the Deuce on this site. Water in the fuel can kill the engine, I would drain the fuel tank and add fresh diesel and change out the fuel filters, at the very least put a fresh tank of fuel in, then run the fuel pump and drain the filters till you see clean "green" diesel..

Then drive the truck and see how she performs.... BEFORE YOU BUY!

PS: I would ask the current owner to do this..

Attachments

Flyingvan911

Try changing the fuel filters. That happened to me going down to OK this weekend.

I changed the secondary filters but ran out of time so I figured the primary could wait. Wrong! It acted like you said. Cut out just for a secong at first, then got worse. Later would die but restart after sitting for a minute or two. I replaced the primary (which was black as night) and now that LDS rockets up hills and the pedal never reaches the floor.

Oops, spelling. :doghead: (My spelling that is.)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I loaded my deuce up with dihydrogen monoxide laden JP-8 at the FL Rally a few years back it exhibited similar driveability issues. The primary was flooded with water. It got so bad it wouldn't go over 25 MPH. Quick fuel and primary change got me on the road. OP, I'd have him drain the tank and change the primary or walk away. Of course, I'd walk away sooner if there was no matching numbers title.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The injection pump is very wet with diesel, and the strainer in the tank has some weird whitish sludge on it. The seller thinks the running problems are a product of the fuel being contaminated with water.
If there is fuel coming out of the pump there may be an injector line leaking and allowing air into the system. Get some line wrenches and tighten all of them up where they come out of the hydrolic head.

The whitish stuff in the strainer is most likely varnish from evaporated fuel. There is no telling how long it's been since the truck was serviced and new filters installed. There could also be algae growing in the tank and possibly clogging the intank pump pickup line.

As stated above without a title it is a large lawn ornament.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You guys keep telling this guy what to do. That should be the seller's problem. If your going to work on it, talk him down and buy it, THEN work on it.

ccf460

It is currently tagged and titled in NC. It is not bobbed, just running single tires out back ( I could have remembered the tire size wrong, they are the taller michelins with the aggressive block pattern ). I don't think the seller has the time or interest in working on it, just wanted to get a general idea of what a dying IP acts like, He did state that he has owned it for 2 years with little use, and that it has not been serviced since he owned it I think he is as low as he will go on price, and deuces are few and far between near me, I don't mind servicing it and dumping the fuel system, really don't want to have to replace an IP at the current price for the truck.

Last edited:

crazywelder72

you did a great jkob describing the issues. And yes I have had simmilar issues. I agree with Flyingvan911. I just had a issue and the secondary had enough resistance that the check valve would open and that sends the fuel directly back to the tank instead of the motor. it would sit for a minute and the c-valve would close and fuel would be able to get thru again.

sounds like the truck has the 47" tires.

4k, not a bad price but plan on draining the tank and cleaning it, all filters and it wouldnt hurt to blow the lines out before the injector pump.

all that work will help you get up and running faster and cheaper than just winging it. It's not that bad.

if you can get some more of the price GREAT, but if you like it..... its a fair price and you'll regret it if you dont.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd guess filters. However, one of my deuces I bought had a crimped front fuel line, the one that goes from the primary filter under the radiator to the left side of the engine to the secondaries. The copper line had a big crunch in it, maybe from a forklift, who knows. I just cut it out and replaced that section of line with rubber fuel hose. Same problems you are experiencing caused by the crimped line.

Just something else to think about - I don't think your problem is major.

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The IP is probably okay because you are getting fuel. The engine just bogs down when you rev it up, because it is starved for fuel supply. However, the old fuel isn't helping things. Drain the tank, replace with new fuel, and filters, and I'd bet it will run like a stuck pig.

3dAngus

I wouldn't pay $4K when you can get a good working truck for that, and you don't know the final answer to the problem, even with the well educated guesses. If the seller won't fix it and he wants you to take all the risk, either get him to drop the price $1K or walk. It's not worth it with all the decent running trucks out there from private sellers where you knowa little better what you're getting into, and what you're not. This one could be serious, or it could be simple.

crazywelder72

I think your good to go. There will always be some risk and some doubt. I test drove mine 9 months before i bought it. All was good and it was running great.

However when i had it delivered, after unloading it of the truck it drove about 100yrds into my driveway and konked out.

I had a massive fuel issue and all the filters were sludge and slime. all that bad fuel also ruined a small part on my injection pump called a Hydraulic head (HH).

I never had a diesel before either but what i did have is a few friends, the SS community, and the internet.

Any problem can always be fixed, some things are easy, some things are pricey but if you have patience usually you can find anything cheaper. And remember rushing makes things harder.

Dukeman

you guys are killing me with the prices you are throwing out. Where can I find a good running truck for $4,000? They are just not available in my area. I was lucky to get one for less then $6k. Show me.....

Flyingvan911

You have to wait for them to pop up. It is kind of spuratic. The whole December 2012 thing is driving up prices because people know that there are other people willing to pay more for a "survival truck." After December you should be able to get a good deal.

So if the world did end (the whole world), where would you drive a deuce to? Can I get a deep-space fording kit? rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks