• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP!!! Need Pulled Out of the Mud - (houston) Pasadena, TX

saddamsnightmare

December 28th, 2010.

7 Dust:

Regrettably I am in Illinois and my deuce is down in NE Texas, many miles from you. I agree with one post up here above, though, IF you can borrow two or four 10 ton Simplex railroad car jacks from someone in your area, and you are willing to do some hard ass jacking and filling, you can get that truck out. Unfortunatelyy you will have to block the jacks big time and jack at the sling points on all four corners (or under the axles), backfill the trenches under and near the truck, and I would say you might want to deflate all the tires to about 12 PSI or so. What this will do is get the truck up out of ground contact and suction, and give it a fighting chance to get out. The deflated tires will decrease ground contact pressure and increase the NDCC lug contact areas, and USE low range reverse. The next best thing to hope for is a hard freeze at that point, unlikely where you are at.

The nasty thing about a deuce when stuck, is that THEY always stick in the most inconvient areas. Hopefully some of our guys in your area have a Unimog U1300L with the exttra low creeper gearboxes, they could pull you out after the truck has been raised and the holes filled. :-|

Good luck, and I do hope you get it home before the water gets to somewhere under the truck you really don't want it to go....:( THERE IS, or was, an emergency method used on the deuces to get them out backwards before they went that deep, using the rear duals, an iron bar and a steel cable and deadman. Plant the deadman behind the truck as above, run the cable to between the bottom of the back duals, carry the cable out through one of the spokeholes and set the eye or clamp to an iron bar across the spoke holes. Begin to back the truck slowly in low reverse, checking before you fill up the area between the duals. You may have to jeck and unwind the cable and move the deadman several times, but a deuce can, with propitiation of the proper OD gods, extract itself. OF couse an M1 tank and long tow strap, or a Skycrane chopper, is the other way to get it out.....

Last edited:

area52

1) air down tires
2) get a shovel and start digging
3) get some boards/rocks/filler stuff and put in under tires

when all else fails and you really want it out - call a big wrecker!!

waayfast

If there is any construction out-fits working near by,maybe you could hire a track-hoe to walk out there and grab ya. Even something about like a Hitachi EX100 would probly be enough.May cost you some but the convenience would be be worth it.Besides you may just get a deal when they realize what they are going after and may make some new friends.

I used to work in that area ---what is the truck's actual location?Lots of work going on there in the '80's--all up and down 225.Miss the money but don't miss the heat!

Good luck, Jim

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of us have gotten stuck like this . . . once. After an episode like this including the hours of wash rack time you get a little more cautious . . . OK, I'm not far from there and can provide assistance tomorrow afternoon. You will need a snatch block at this point. Let us know if you have one. Please pace off the distance forward to hard ground, and get your cable re-wrapped and re-shear pinned. you can use a grade 2 (no head markings) bolt for now. Plan on a forward pull 150 ft at a time using the snatch block. PM me the location of the truck and we'll see what we can do tomorrow. Maybe Wehring can assist as well?

jimm1009

I sank mine one time and all the things that I tried failed except for the very last one. I dug down to the bottom of each wheel and put about a two gallons of gravel in each hole behind the truck as I wanted to back out. I duck back about four feet making a shallow ramp and that thing actually came out.
It took an hour or so but the small, rough cut gravel save my a$$.
Not sure if you can do this not knowing your time schedule but my ground was pretty soft and it actually worked for me.
I used a 5 gallon bucket and added about two gallons of gravel behind all the wheels and then just covered it up afterwards when it dried out some. I never thought that it would work but it sure surprised me!

jimm1009

Josh

Like everyone said Airing down the front tires at least. It should help prevent the front from sinking as bad. I buried my deuce like that in a grass field on a slope. And I was immobile both directions until I aired the front down.

Also. If you have a set of snow chains for that thing. Slap em on. Ive used chains on the deuce in mud and it makes a world of a difference.

abh3

Another lesson in using the pulley-block when winching, I fragged my winch using a bolt for a shear pin and no block! :drool: Duh...

I'd get two big bottle jacks and a bunch of lumber, limbs, firewood, rocks, whatever comes to hand. Block, jack and fill under tires until you can make progress, I've done this with tractors too many times to think about, time consuming hard work but free. Otherwise find someone with a good sized farm tractor, 100hp + with duals or 4x4, it will cost you money but maybe not too much if they are just down the road. A big wrecker will be about the same as a dozer, I won't move my dozer for less than a day's job unless they are a pretty good friend!

Good luck and please be safe!

KsM715

Take your winch cable or get some other cable and use the rear wheels as winches. Tie off to the tractor and be sure to use both sides not just one.

Attachments

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll tell you what I've seen done. Find a long pole that will reach accross the truck. Tie the pole with chains to the rear of the back tires. Then put the truck in reverse and ease back until the pole comes around to the front of the tires. Then move it to the back and repeat until you're on solid ground. Warning- this is very slow and hard on the driveline as it gives lots of traction to the effected axle. If you try this be easy on the clutch and if it binds too much stop to prevent driveline damage.

Or find you a snatch block and get the tractor again. Sink that box blade it the ground good to make a good strong anchor point.

Katahdin

On the dry ground I'd suggest getting a post-hole digger and make two holes as deep as you can go, then drop in a couple pipe columns (steel pipe filled with concrete) and use those as the anchor for the rear-wheel-winches. Note, thick rope or recovery straps may work instead of cable.

Take your winch cable or get some other cable and use the rear wheels as winches. Tie off to the tractor and be sure to use both sides not just one.

Last edited:

Alredneck

Banned
That video is awesome!:mrgreen:

He could of just used his bucket to push him back! Them guys ( tow truck and loader ) should get some well deserved time off for that B/S! Permanent Time Off!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks