• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help needed: Problems with a Steering Drag Link

gparkes

I have been working on my M923A2 for the better part of a year now. I finally have the vehicle ready to have it "Safety Inspected," a requirement for licensing in Missouri.

The inspection was quite thorough and enlightening. Overall, I believe my truck to be in good road worthy shape, with the one exception they found during the inspection. The inspector said the steering drag link's ball joint is bad. I didn't figure this was a big deal, nearly every other part I have needed has either been replaced with a direct military replacement or civilian equivalent. This is the one exception!

Steering Drag Link (NSN).jpgSteering Drag Link.jpg

(While these are not the latest TIs, this is the correct information, and I wanted to get this posted quickly, as I have been spinning my wheels so far.)

The item in question is #13, NSN 2560-01-101-0084. The newest TI calls the item a tie rod, however, drag link is the proper term.

I have found the NSN, but the item has previously sold. I saw on a post where someone lubricated the ball joint and tightened it down, but that doesn't address the issue if the ball joint has gone bad.

I figured that someone could use a threaded tie rod and add ball joints, however, I have been told this is a bad idea since it would effect the handling and cause wear to other parts.

Usually I am pretty good "Googling" a problem, but I cannot seem to find the resolution.

Can anyone help?