• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help out a new guy!

Biggles

The shipping is a nightmare............the guy showed up to Camp Dodge around TEN HOURS late and then was astounded that no one was there, he loaded the truck this morning and is taking back roads all the way to my house for some reason. the truck will get here almost two days
late and he wants extra money for unloading it now. he says it won't start on it's own and I know two different SS members started it one was only a couple weeks ago

Tibby

I think Biggles has his truck finally. By fortunate circumstance, I was on the west side of Springfield late this afternoon and saw a tan deuce on a trailer headed south toward Chatham. From the passing look I got at it, I think it looks pretty good. I was, and still am, just a little bit jealous . . .

Biggles

My Truck Has Arrived!

That was my deuce that you saw. it's home safe and sound now. I am in Richmond VA but pictures will be up soon. The shipper got an extra 50 because the truck has dead batteries so we had to drag it off the trailer with the bronco's winch. I'm told it looks really good. Pictures to come soon!

Biggles

the batteries are dead so I can't get it started easily. When i bump started it. it ran well. had no brakes and sounded great. now I just need a new hood and top

Biggles

stoved in from troops climbing on them I expect. I'm going to walk on the other side and see what happens.

And as Bob said now the fun begins WHEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gastrap

My roof is stomped in the middle too, cant even tell from the front. I actually didn't notice 'till I got it home. There are boot prints on the headliner & someone drew a "Kilroy" on it in chalk-must have been trying to push the top back up. I think it wil straighten out pretty good.

I saw several with stomped hoods.

Biggles

i imagine it is a common affliction. I have to climb on top of the truck to tell the roof is stomped in. and i didn't even realize the hood was stoved in until it rained and the water collected on it.

gonorth

Hey, congrats on your truck geting home. When you charge the batteries all you need to do is unhook one end of the cable between the two and charge each one seperately. Should do this once in a while anyway. It does run good tho doesn't it. So are there any brakes at all? The petal was really mushy but I thought they would work some. By the way it is not a good idea to leave them in gear when parked. If they roll for some reason they will start all by themselves when in gear. Scott gave me that tip.

I don't think it is too big of a job to pop the hood and roof back up into a resaonable resemblance of normal. Might have to take the hood off to do it, the roof you can maybe do with some boards in the right places and a jack. I bet there is a discussion here somewhere on how to do it. They are both very common problems. My roof is caved in too but I am not too worried about it.

Get your title request off to GL now as quick as you can because that will take 4 weeks to get to you. You will need that before you can do anything with geting it registered.

Last edited:

Biggles

ok I already did the sf97 thing from GL now I wait. I tried to pop the roof back up with a board and a jack.....it's better but i need to spend more time on it (I'm not real worried about the roof) I tried bleeding the brakes.....they sorta worked a little before just real real mushy. I pulled the drain plug off of one of the air tanks and pressurized it to 15 PSI then used a vacuum bleeder and bleed the brakes as I would a normal hydraulic system. It's Much better than it was but it's still mushy when you hit the pedal the first time.....then it seems to get better. (maybe i just need to keep bleeding?) and now I need to pull off the hood and walk on the other side. I'm not real worried about appearance but i don't want it to collect water. and the hood is more noticable than the roof. Oh and charging the batteries was a breeze i borrowed a second trickle charger pulled the connecting wire off of the them at one end and charged them both seperately at the same time. truck runs great! How long should I be letting this thing warm up before I take off in it? I've only driven it out and about a couple times and I let it idle for several minutes just to make sure that oil got all the places it needed to be before I drove off, but I am sure the military has a set amount of time that you are supposed to do that.

Biggles

By the way it is not a good idea to leave them in gear when parked. If they roll for some reason they will start all by themselves when in gear. Scott gave me that tip.
oooooh Yeah.......I had Landrovers that could do that. I never had to chase one but there was definetely an incident where I shut the truck down on a hill left it in gear and it just started rolling and fired right back up on me. fortunately i was still at the controls so it wasn't a big deal, but i could see the potential for a very comical and emberassing (and potentially expensive) situation

Biggles

Gastrap

I don't think it is too big of a job to pop the hood and roof back up into a resaonable resemblance of normal. Might have to take the hood off to do it, the roof you can maybe do with some boards in the right places and a jack. I bet there is a discussion here somewhere on how to do it. They are both very common problems. My roof is caved in too but I am not too worried about it.
I pushed my roof back up with a little leg power, its too stretched out though & just pops back down when I hit rough roads . It needs a couple new braces to keep it up.

gonorth

Cool, glad things are starting to come together. I think I read here that it sometimes requires a couple times thru the bleeding process to get the brakes back to normal. On warmup, a cuple minutes is probably enough if you are in a hurry and then take it slow and easy for the next copule of minutes but I think I also read here that about 5 minutes is recommended. Take a look in the operators manual. It is posted in the reference section here, I think someone posted the manual number earlier in this discussion, or maybe that was in another discussion here.

I hope you waited to order your SF-97 until after the truck was picked up. They say the will ignore your request if you do it earlier than that.

Biggles

I waited to order the SF97 till after I had the truck and had figured out what year it was. I have the tm's downloaded onto my computer. and there is part of the -10 in the glovebox of the truck. but nothing on bleeding the brakes. I'm hoping i am doing it right is all. I pressurized the air tank to 15psi by pulling a drain valve and hooking up my compressor to it. then i just used a vacuum bleeder like i would on a normal hydraulic brake system. it shows improvement so i assume i'm doing it right.