• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help please starting problems

hoss0311

The problem is when i turn the key to the start possession i can hear somthing out side of the truck click i think. i put a one of those dog ear things on there for the starter relay and i can hear that click. it worked great for about a month now its doing the same thing just clicking and i went and got another relay and it does the same clicking. it has a new starter on it to. it is still running on the 24v system. Can anyone help me please....i will post a video of what it is doing when in a little bit. thank you very much......

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He said, he changed a bunch of stuff and it won't start.

What's his problem.

kevin-m1008

As with all clicking starters make sure you have correct voltage at the starter. Check voltage at the starter, check all connections between the batteries and starter.

Try the search function I know it's not the best one but it does work for more ideas.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem is when i turn the key to the start possession i can hear somthing out side of the truck click i think. i put a one of those dog ear things on there for the starter relay and i can hear that click. it worked great for about a month now its doing the same thing just clicking and i went and got another relay and it does the same clicking. it has a new starter on it to. it is still running on the 24v system. Can anyone help me please....i will post a video of what it is doing when in a little bit. thank you very much......
What is a "dog ear thing"?

Are you sure you have fully charged batteries?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My doghead starter relay modification is inside the cab, not the outside?

Am I to surmise that you mean the glow plug relay?

Could be the GPR or starter solenoid clicking, in which case, whichever is getting juice. If it's the solenoid clicking, might be a bad starter or could be as simple as loose, or corroded battery cables. Need to check all connections.

Barrman

Start with what the manuals say to start with. Are both your batteries fully charged? Have them load tested to make sure they are good. Have you checked all the battery wires for clean connections and power? Have you read the troubleshooting section of the -20?

hoss0311

where is the glow plug relay at on it and how do you tell if that is bad? because the starter is only about two weeks old, not that it couldn't go bad...thanks for the help

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From your video, your batteries do NOT look to be fully charged. When you turn your key on, your volt meter is way down in the yellow.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
here is a link to the video i just took of what it is doing. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_O901jL0eg[/media]

From here it sounds like the starter solenoid is engaging and the starter motor is bad.
Edit #1: By the looks of your voltmeter, in the yellow, you have enough voltage to spin the starter, it's just not spining. Worst case scenerio, your engine is siezed. Pull the starter and have it bench tested.
Edit #2: The whine at the beginning of the (nice) video suggests the starter is trying to spin, just can't.
Good luck!

Last edited:

taildragger03

The glow plug relay is to the left of the master cylinder.

I agree with doghead and 319, it sounds like the starter solenoid. One thing you could try is get yourself a soft mallet and hit the starter a once or twice. If that doesn't work have it tested.

If you can, have someone else cycle the key while your underneath by the starter, your would definitely be able to feel the solenoid engage.

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From your video, your batteries do NOT look to be fully charged. When you turn your key on, your volt meter is way down in the yellow.

They don't look fully charged but "should" be enough to spin the starter.
By all means, he needs to be sure the batteries are fully charged.

hoss0311

yeah when i made that video the charger said that one battery was at 90% and the other at 95%. ill post back when i have someone come over in a half our or so. i will have to take the batteries to the shop in the morning to get load tested.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks