• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help (SOS) for flyusn99

bassetdeuce

SOS for my friend, flyusn99, who is recovering his deuce from Eastern Surplus, driving to Jacksonville Florida. He just called me and said that his truck is losing electrical juice, battery guage sinking to zero. According to him, alternator belts are o.k., connections at the batteries are o.k., so I'm thinking bad batteries. Could be a bad alternator, I sure hope NOT. He is on I95S at the Maryland, Virginia border in crap weather. He is supposed to call me when he gets around Richmond. He also says that hes getting a box of marbles sound in 5th gear only when the engine is under load. I haven't got a clue on that one.

So, is anyone out there near Richmond VA that can help on the battery situation? I will monitor my PM box for those who might be able to help. Thanks to all.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He can turn all the lights off, the deuce will run with no power(even without the intank pump on). He can use hand-signals and drive in the daylight

I would bet his alternator is not charging.

Has he called Eastern to let them know of his trouble?

If he has to stop, do it on a long some what steep hill, he can roll start it if needed.

bassetdeuce

If he needs batts. I can run to new Mil batts to him today. I have to pick them up from North State by 5 pm.
If he can cover the gas in the car and 45 ea. for batts Ill drive up and help put them in.-Jay
Thanks Jay, I would tell him, but I cant get to him on the phone. He told me that he would call by 5:00P. I will keep trying and keep you posted.

-Doug

bassetdeuce

He can turn all the lights off, the deuce will run with no power(even without the intank pump on). He can use hand-signals and drive in the daylight

I would bet his alternator is not charging.

Has he called Eastern to let them know of his trouble?

If he has to stop, do it on a long some what steep hill, he can roll start it if needed.
Yeah, I told him that. He has not called Eastern, although I don't think it would do any good because of the snowstorm and such. God I hope its not an alternator. :doh:

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Doug, As long as you let me know by 440 pm so I have time to drive over and pick them up ill shoot right up there and help intall the new ones then follow him 2 hrs back toward my house on I95 and keep watch over it down the road. Again my cell # is 252 363 3367. - Jay

P.S. - Eastern ad's in every ad says they will have good batts , so it might not be them or it might have gotton overlooked.

jimm1009

If he can put a volt meter on the large cable coming out of the alternator (under the cover) he can check the output. Prick the insulation and check it rather than removing the cover because you have to disconnect the battery to do this to not damage the alternator.
If it is only 24 volts or less then the alternator is bad if he has 25 or 26 volts at about 2,000 RPMs then it is putting out.
If it is not putting out check the power wire going in to the alternaotr. They need battery voltage in order to make power. This wire is #22 I thinkand it is the only 14 or 16 gage wire there. The other one is the ground from the alternator to the frame at the primatry fuel pump mounting bracket.
If the small wire has no pwer then there are other issues that can be resolved later and not on the side of the road. Eastern would be a good place to stop but if he has to he can run a wire from the battery (24 volts) to the alternator to get around the bad circuit for a while.
This way he can make juice until he can limp in.

bassetdeuce

UPDATE: He is now on the side of the road. He says that fifth gear got progressively noisier, and he could NOT shift out of it. He coasted to a stop on the side of the road. It is now a dead deuce.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about a location and his cell number?

Maybe he can call Eastern now too?

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would take that truck back to Eastern Surplus. He paid a premium and got something well below that. He could haved bought a truck right there in Jax and gotten the same or most likely a better truck for a lot less

bassetdeuce

James (flyusn99) cell is 904-303-4261. Not sure of his exact location. I95 in north Virginia. bulldog_mack13 is on it with help from a retired deuce mechanic. Keeping fingers crossed.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep us updated!

Good luck Jay! [thumbzup]

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Ok , James said a tow truck is hooking him up right now to take it to a shop so its not on the side of the road. Its snowing about a half in. a hour. A friend and I are driving up first thing in the AM to bring batteries , alternator and some extra stuff to get him home. I will keep yall posted- Jay

P.S. To help explain , He got the truck from GL , Eastern got it for him and serviced it completely to make the trip home (per what I was told).

Last edited:

bassetdeuce

Ok , James said a tow truck is hooking him up right now to take it to a shop so its not on the side of the road. Its snowing about a half in. a hour. A friend and I are driving up first thing in the AM to bring batteries , alternator and some extra stuff to get him home. I will keep yall posted- Jay

P.S. To help explain , He got the truck from GL , Eastern got it for him and serviced it completely to make the trip home (per what I was told).
Thanks again Jay. Hopefully the electrical turns out to be something simple. As for the transmission, James did tell me that Eastern dropped the trans to replace a rear main, so maybe its a clutch linkage problem?

-Doug

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks