• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help (SOS) for flyusn99

stampy

What is the route he is taking? I just saw this thread and am just south of the Va boarder on I 85. Sounds like Jay has it handled though.

bassetdeuce

What is the route he is taking? I just saw this thread and am just south of the Va boarder on I 85. Sounds like Jay has it handled though.
I95S all of the way to JAX Fl I guess. Jay and James are not answering their phones so I assume they are burning the midnight oil trying to get that deuce sorted out. Heck of a time for a blizzard eh?

stampy

We had a foot here about a week ago and two feet ten years ago. I was real glad the temperature went above freezing Fri and all we had was rain because it was a LOT of rain and Jay wouldn't have been dug out yet if it had been snow.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Ok guys, I just dropped Rob and James off at Robs. Everyone is safe and warm.

We drove up to help James out and it went great to about Enfield , NC then the snow hit. As you can see by the pics how it got worse. About 3 1/2 hours later (2hr15min. no snow)we arrived to meet James and his step dad.
Looked over the truck and got it running. The alternator isnt charging by what looks to be loose wires from either the batts or something else that broke it. I dont know what exactly they said that casued it to happen by that. But a long story short , we are driving back up monday after the snow stops and clears to put a new alternator back on so he can bring it home next week.
Mission almost done, all will be good and ready monday for the last bit of the trip to FL.
I cant say enough good stuff about James,James's step dad ,Rob, Doug and his dad for getting all this planned out and fixed. -Jay

Attachments

roady

What did you guys found out about the noisy transmission? Glad everybody is safe and sound and warm. This site really has some good members.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I didnt notice anyting.. yet. We couldnt really drive it due to the snow and it not running correctly. We will have all the fixed monday when the ground is good and the snows gone. Good stuff - Jay

baxter

What a great group of people. I love to hear the story of all the guys willing to do what it takes to help out another. Glad to hear everyone is safe and it is working out.

ctmustang

Jay - Rob job well done. I am glad to see someone willing to help another. Hate you had to drive so far. Too bad there wasn't anyone in va. or maryland who could help out.
GOOD JOB GUYS!
CT[thumbzup]

bassetdeuce

I had the pleasure of talking with Jay about this whole unfortunate situation tonight. Again, Jay and Rob are the ones who really stepped up to turn this bad situation around for the good. Enough thanks can not really be said about such altruism. I talked to James as well, and he is in good spirits albeit (understandably) emotionally drained. As mentioned above, I'm also relieved everyone is safe, and a real plan is in place to get James and his truck home.

As far as the transmission goes, no one knows yet what the deal is. But from overhearing Robs explanation of the alternator failure, he definately knows these trucks. The battle aint over yet, but tonight I'm thankful for great Steel Soldiers members such as Jay, as well as his friend Rob.

-Doug

flyusn99

Wow, where to begin?

Hang with me this might be a long post...

First of all, Rob and Jay (bulldog_mac13) are the super-heros of this story. Two guys who I've never met dropped what they were doing and offered to drive almost 3 hours away to help a TOTAL stranger trapped on the side of the road in the middle of a blizzard. To both of you my most heart-felt and profound thank you. I'll never be able to adequately repay your kindness (though I'm going to try **** hard)

Second, to Doug (bassetdeuce) my second-line hero for putting out the SOS for me. Your help got me going again, I can't thank you enough...

So here is my attempt at relaying the events that transpired on the trip that I will never forget.

Since I am on active duty and had a limited time-window to get the truck and get back before my leave expired (as well being limited to when I can even take leave) I needed to get the truck and get back before this coming Monday. So I opted to head up to Phili Thursday night to get an early start before the big storm came in. That worked out alright.

Dave Newman at Eastern Surplus did a great job doing the long list of things I asked him to to tailor the truck to my liking, new dropside bed, great paint-job and a few other items that needed work to make the truck road worthy.

I got the truck on the road at 1015am on Friday and in my haste probably did not conduct the most thurough pre-flight as I should have. With the time crunch I had and the list of things I asked to be done to my truck one seemingly minor detail was overlooked which proved to be my undoing. Now first off, let me say everyone makes mistakes, myself included. So I bear no malace or ill will to anyone and Dave is a stand up guy and has offered to help me get things back up and running, he stands by his work and for that I say thank you Dave....

Anyhow, the batteries that were used to replace my odl dead military batteries where the smaller sized automotive batteries which, in and of itself is no big deal. But in the haste of getting me on the road the batteries were not secured in the battery tub. This in turn resulted in the battery clamps themselves (which were securely fastened to the battery posts) pulling away from the battery cable. As they made interemittent contact those voltage surges in turn fried the voltage regulator and in the process welded the alternator washer, eye and nut completely together until the molten copper ran down and grounded itself on the alternator body.

I also was having an issue with shifting and intriguing noise when in 5th gear. The 5th gear noise was there from the get-go but in my ignorance I didn't realize that it was abnormal. When in 5th gear with the pedal down doing 23-2400 rpm (about 47-49mph) I would get a strange rattling sound, as I let my foot up the sound would completely cease at around 1/3 pedal and when my foot was completely off the pedal the noise would be there again though not as dramatic or consistent. I'm not sure if this has any bearing on the shifting issue but who knows?

There was no problem shifting as I started out but about half way through Maryland I started having difficulty shifting into gear (all of them). This was also when I noticed that I had not electrical power left on the truck. I crossed my fingers and thought I might just make it to a garage where I have an M105A2 stored and get some electrical assistance. Shortly after Fort AP Hill on Route 301 in Virginia I was trying to make a turn and even with the clutch full in the stick WOULD not come out of gear, that is until I stalled the truck and coasted to the shoulder. Several minutes later it did actually come out...

Anyhow, now with no juice to restart and stuck on the side of the road I called a wrecker, and Doug, who then put out the MAYDAY for me which is where Jay and Rob came into the picture and basically saved my rear-end....

So the plan as it stands now is Jay and Rob are returning to the truck by themselves (again WOW, Thank you) with a new alternator sometime this week and have even offered to drive it down to Raleigh NC for me so I can resume the trip next Friday when I can again (hopefully) get leave. Truely ALL American rockstars, not to mention distinguished Army and USMC veterans. The compassion and altruism these two gentlemen showed to a complete stranger in need is the kind of thing that gives you faith in the goodness of mankind, again thank you, you two.

So in closing (as I'm sure this is far too long a post already), sometimes S#$t happens, no one was hurt, the truck is still in one piece, I'm a little frazzled but none-the-worse for wear, I've met two of the most honorable and upstanding men I'm likely to ever meet, Dave Newman is a stand up guy and hopefully we'll give it a shot again next weekend.....

The Lord sometimes truely does work in mysterious ways.......

Attachments

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
James, your in good hands, thanks for the kind words man! We will get you set with the 2nd part of the plan and get you home next weekend. Take care and enjoy your Navy flight mon. - Jay

Srjeeper

flyusn99 - Glad your safe, warm and none the worse for the wear.

Rob, Jay, Doug & Dave - Your deserving of all our Thanks for 'steppin up'.

[thumbzup]

beanman1

hey flyin if u cant make it to raliegh i can go up to raliegh and pick up the duece i live 20 min s of atlanta on i75 so i am a little closer than u r i am currently unemployed just need help with the fuel to get me there fuel for the duece and the 1009 to get us back its all up to you give me a call at 678-727-6240

flyusn99

Jay, I can't say enough about how awesome you and Rob are, seriously, if you ever need anything I can help you out with you have but to ask. As for the flight Monday, looks like I got bumped to Tuesday and I think Thursday night I have a night flight so I should be bright eyed and bushy-tailed for my O'dark thirty flight up to you Friday..... Oh well, semper gumby.... Oh, and I'll be bringing some Alaskan beer and some smoked Salmon that I made when I was home a couple months ago up in an effort to say thanks, so stand by for God's nector.....

Littlebob, I checked the engine oil and coolant before I left but in my rush I didn't dive any deeper.... good question though...

beanman1, Thank you for the kind offer but I'm all set (aside from getting leave, although I think they are technically considered on the edge of being in the "local" area so I may not need it) but I need to attempt to repay Jay and Rob's kindness which I would feel better doing that in person. So I will most likely have to decline, if anything changes though I will definately let you know though....

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also was having an issue with shifting and intriguing noise when in 5th gear. The 5th gear noise was there from the get-go but in my ignorance I didn't realize that it was abnormal. When in 5th gear with the pedal down doing 23-2400 rpm (about 47-49mph) I would get a strange rattling sound, as I let my foot up the sound would completely cease at around 1/3 pedal and when my foot was completely off the pedal the noise would be there again though not as dramatic or consistent. I'm not sure if this has any bearing on the shifting issue but who knows?

There was no problem shifting as I started out but about half way through Maryland I started having difficulty shifting into gear (all of them). This was also when I noticed that I had not electrical power left on the truck. I crossed my fingers and thought I might just make it to a garage where I have an M105A2 stored and get some electrical assistance. Shortly after Fort AP Hill on Route 301 in Virginia I was trying to make a turn and even with the clutch full in the stick WOULD not come out of gear, that is until I stalled the truck and coasted to the shoulder. Several minutes later it did actually come out...

Throwout bearing, IMHO.

Bob

bassetdeuce

Throwout bearing, IMHO.

Bob
Interesting, I never thought of that but it makes sense. I did mention to James that I would want to open up the inspection plate on the bell housing, possibly while having someone work the clutch while looking in there. How much can you see in there? :confused:

Last edited: