• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help (SOS) for flyusn99

Stan Leschert

To the rescue crew.... You guys are freaking incredible! Even us lurkers who are way to far away to help, are watching this with baited breath. Our little green community is absolutely astounding. I feel like I'm still wearing green, but, the only brass that I now have to answer sits beside me with my tin her finger. Arguing with Generals was usually more fruitful! Same result!!!

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
After repairing a leaking air compressor gasket and the gasket that mounts to the block last night and another trip to White Owl ,its done. The truck is ready for the drive to FL. James flew up at noon yesterday and helped us with the last few things to finish the truck. While we were finishing the truck James cooked us some Alaskan Salmon , great garlic mashed potatoes and some vegetables. And some real good Alaskan beer to wash it down. What a good meal to end the long process of repairing the Duece.
James will be hitting the road sometime later today to finish the last part of his trip to FL. Rob cant post pics cuse his IP's block on SS so hes sending me pics later so I can add them. Keeping you posted- Jay

dittle

All I can say is great job guys. The generosity shown by you guys helping a complete stranger is just incredible.

bassetdeuce

Just talked to James. He is at a motel near Savannah GA, resting for the final leg of his journey. Everything is working well with his truck (not leaking oil or air, and shifting fine), so he should be good to go for tommorrow. I'm in Jax right now, so I'll probably visit him tommorrow if he gets here before too late.

Jay and Rob, thanks so much for what you did for James. :beer:
That rescue will not soon be forgotten.

bassetdeuce

Mission Accomplished. James made it home, and I went over to check his truck out. Its truly the best looking deuce I've ever seen, and he should be proud. Thanks for the pizza James. :cool:

flyusn99

Hello everyone,

I made it back to Jacksonville safe and sound with the truck running well, a few minor leaks but nothing major. Mission complete.

A HUGE thank you goes out to Doug, Jay and Rob for helping me out in my hour/day/weeks of need. Your generosity was above anything I've ever seen, (or even heard of) I will never forget what you have all done and I will forever be in your debt.

To everyone else who offered their numbers for emergency contact along my route of travel, thank you. I'm a big believer in Karma and your offers provided substantial piece of mind.

With regard to the vendor question, yes I did buy the Deuce from GL in Kentucky, BUT I had the truck shipped over to Eastern Surplus in Philadelphia to go through the truck and make sure everything was road worthy as well as doing some upgrades and cosmetic changes to the truck (new paint etc). In fact I spent a great deal of money there doing so. Most of the things covered by Eastern turned out very well. The paint job looks great, the new tires are beautiful and the filter kits are top notch.

I firmly believed that after the truck was inspected any then current issues would have been resolved and at least some of the variables would have been taken care of. I believe most (not all) of the issues were taken care of at Eastern, but with my time table looming and time running short the focus of effort was put on the long list of things I wanted done to the truck rather than completely running through everything with a fine tooth comb. So I bear some responsibility in getting myself into some of the events that transpired. Dave Newman at Eastern and I have talked a couple times since I set out and encountered the major break down in Virginia. He was nice enough to provide a partial refund to cover some of the expense in getting things back up and running.

So in the end, everything worked out alright, the truck is here now with me and still in running condition. I made some fantastic new friends (actual real American Heros) who showed me quite a bit and overall I'm a better person and feel more of a connection to my truck for having gone through all the drama..... Life is a journey and this was no exception. Thank you all again.

James

Attachments

Stan Leschert

It really sounds like you did everything in your power to prepare for this adventure. Glitches happen. In staff college, we were told that "No battle plan has ever successfully survived combat." This is true. Adapt and overcome. It is a real pain to have to rely upon the kindness of strangers, and trust me, you can't get any stranger than this group! I think that I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you will not find any finer people, than the ones who lurk here. They have been fantastic to me, and as has been evidenced, Superman like to you. To everyone who has been involved in this endeavour.....Let me give you my personal thanks. Even to the guys in the cheering section who offered kind and hopeful words. You exemplify the guys who served in my platoon. I miss the Army less, now that I've met you! Well done!

bassetdeuce

I like the color better than 383 green. In person, it is a very "rich" green. It looks almost like WWII sherman tank green. Pictures hardly do it justice. Kinda makes 383 look faded or weathered.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Man that is a good looking truck. Dropside, winch, hardtop, etc. So sweet. :-D

flyusn99

Doug, thanks for the kind words, glad you like the color.

Clinto, Yep, thanks to Rob, Jay and Doug I'm pretty happy with it and how its turned out. It also has a cab heater which will come in handy in a few years when i take it back up to Alaska. I'm thinking I'd eventually like to put an M66 ring mount up top for mounting some of my toys..... Unfortunately that will mean I'll have to go with a soft top... in fact if you know anyone who has an M66 they want to get rid of let me know.....

James